Largest tire size/stock lift/wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

xlx

SILVER Star
Threads
Just got new BFG KO2’s. Went with LT 265 70 17 on stock wheels and lift. No rubbing on full turn lock to lock. Only had about 1/8” clearance on the front passenger side. Was able to use my used BFG Rugged Terrain LT 265 70 17 from my FJC for my spare tire. I had 1/4” clearance fully aired up in the spare tire rack underneath. Don’t know how you could possibly go bigger without mods. MPG went from 18 to 16.5-17 on the first 100 miles.

11A113A4-70F8-429E-801D-3634ED8FE232.jpeg

9A778312-04C9-43B4-8A83-E11B32D2D3B8.jpeg

541091C5-1193-488B-A613-76882F9138E3.jpeg

E53B1098-E6E9-4CAB-B35D-62F132611B5B.jpeg

Last edited:
Went with the same same size(Nitto TG’s) and agree it’s perfect for stock. But I’ve got a lift on the way and I’m starting to somewhat regret my decision. But having seen some pics with a similar lift and shoes, I’m feeling ok about it for the time being.

Case in point. Here is a fella’s GX from GXOR with a Dobinson 2.5” lift and 265/70/17s. I think it looks really good with a nice balanced stance. Can’t remember his name but, I saved his photo for reference for my build.

8AB4F912-0E52-4BB1-82D0-2F09C5EC74DF.jpeg

That is perfect size with stock gearing. I have 255/80R17 and the transmission hunt a a lot. It annoy me so much I put 4.30 gear to compensate. The bad thing is now I want even bigger tire.

The fender liner is easily moved forward by just redrilling the mounting hole. I run stock height for awhile with no rubbing but the fender liner have been moved and the running board removed.

BTW @xlx, I am just outside of Columbus also.

Reactions: xlx
Not stock lift but just for comparison.

315/70R17 with OME lift. Lots of fender trim and body mount chop. Rubs a bit on full lock.
IMG_20181111_121412 (1).jpg

I hate to :deadhorse: on the "will it fit without a lift" topic, but has anyone fit 275/70r17s on the T4R TRD Pro wheels without a lift?

I know I've seen guys post that they fit 285s with no lift, I'm just having a hard time believing that the 275s will work.

"without a lift" is a loaded question. A 2009 GX470 has a better chance to fit things than a 2003 GX470 "without a lift" depending on miles, age, use, etc. "stock" is subjective with age and sagging. My "stock" 2003 went up 5.5" with a 2.5" lift due to age and sag. Alignment numbers are completely variable. You can get more caster than the next guy and have better luck. Nothing is a given, and asking generalized questions without experimenting with what you have and plan to do...knowing the risks, is a non-starter. That said...it is "highly likely" you can fit that tire on a a TRD pro wheel because it is essentially the same as the stock wheel. I suspect you will get some rubbing depending on your alignment. Maxing out caster stock and possibly zip ties in fender liners and some body mount work would likely let them fit.

Thanks, Vlad. I'm no stranger to lifting Jeeps and Toyotas. I figured I'd have to move the fender liners forward and I've got my grinder ready in case I have to trim the cab mounts. I just wanted some experience to weigh in before I made the jump.

Wow. Those tires look awesome. Can't wait to see them mounted on the TRD wheels. If you could document the following, it would help:

What modifications are needed to make them fit as far as moving or cutting the fender liners or grinding the frame?
Do the TRD wheels move the tire closer or father away from the frame with the offset and any complications switching wheels?
How does the ride quality change with the Coopers as far as noise, comfort, handling, braking, etc...are they E rated 10 ply?
What is the difference in the MPG from stock 265 65 17 vs 275 70 17?
Does the 275 aired up fit in the stock tire rack underneath? It might be a pain in the ass, but maybe try before mounting them on your rig.

It would help to know coz I would like to go bigger but need a full size spare on my daily driver. I put 40-50k on a year. With the little bit of snow we got this week, I saw about 10 people on the side of the road with flat tires.The sparks you see coming off the snow plow blades are actually razor sharp shards of metal that will cut tire.I cut a BFG when the metal shard went between the tread blocks. The tire guy pulled in out and said they get them all the time after a snow.

@Arailt you’ll really enjoy those Coops. I’ve run a few sets now on my work trucks, the FJC and now the GX. I’ve tested them in all environments and there isn’t much they can’t handle. Usually get around 50K out of a set. I’ve found that running them at around 35 PSI is a good ride. Usually air down to 13-15 on the trails with them with no issues.

@joabmc good to know about the mileage! I’ve heard nothing but phenomonial things about them, so I had to give em a try. I’ve had BFG ATs on my last three Jeeps and Duratracs on my Tacoma, so this will be my first set of Coopers. We’re going to a cabin in Deep Creek for New Years so I’m hoping I get to play in the snow!

@xlx I’ll let you know about the handling and MPG once I get them mounted. Probably sometime the week of the 10th. I had E rated 32s on my TJ Wrangler and they pretty much felt like I was riding on solid rubber, so I’m guessing these will be similar haha. Maybe a little softer because of the stock suspension.

As for the rims, they put the tires a little bit further away from the frame. They’re +4mm offset vs +25mm (I think) offset stock.

I plan on sticking a 255/75r17 in the spare location. Roughly the same diameter. I think I read that the 275 fits, but until I get a rear tire carrier, I’m not going to run a 275 spare. I’ll see what I can do about seeing if the unmounted tire will fit, but it’s 20-30 degrees outside and the tires weigh 60lbs, so no promises

Rims came today. Does anyone know if I can run non-TPMS valves stems?
full

I’m running no TPMS. You’ll just have a permanent light on the dash. Haven’t gotten around to disabling the light yet.

Can you swap out the TPMS on the stock GX wheels and install them on the TRD wheels?

BTW, I know what you mean about the Jeep TJ ride. I traded my TJ for this GX about a month ago. I was running BFG Mud Terrains and between the soft top and tire noise I could not talk on the phone over all the noise. I miss my Jeep, but after stepping into the GX with wood trim and heated leather seats, I got over it pretty quick. The PO already converted the air bags to springs (I assume from a 4Runner or FJC), and I put on E rated KO's the first week I had it, so I don't know what a stock GX feels like. The ride is very similar to my 13 FJC with E rates KO's. I'm looking for some shocks soon. Any suggestions with the spring set up?

Last edited:
Yep, the TPMS swap over. My GX has another year left on the Lexus Platinum warranty that came with it, so I plan to keep my factory wheels/tires so I can put them back on if I have to take it in for service. That way they can’t try to tell me that my tires caused the steering wheel tilt to stop working or some BS like that. At 10 years old, I’d buy new sensors if I wanted to keep them anyway.

Nice! I drove my TJ as a daily driver for 5-6 years. I loved it and still miss it every day. I love the Lexus to though and it’s way more practical.

I really like OME suspensions. They’re reasonably priced and proven tough. Some people say they’re too rough, but I tend to like the stiffer setup. Dobinsons is similar to OME, but apparently a softer ride. Lots of people run Icon/Radflo and similar high end fully adjustables. I don’t have the budget or need for that haha.

I like my adjustable Tough Dog. Tire is integral part part of suspension and with aftermarket combination it's very possible to end up with wrong combination. The adjustable are not perfectly but it does give you a lot more flexibility to fine tune to tire, load and ride preference.

Reactions: xlx
Thanks for the info. I'll look into the Tough Dog system when I get ready to pull the trigger.

What modifications are needed to make them fit as far as moving or cutting the fender liners or grinding the frame?
Do the TRD wheels move the tire closer or father away from the frame with the offset and any complications switching wheels?
How does the ride quality change with the Coopers as far as noise, comfort, handling, braking, etc...are they E rated 10 ply?
What is the difference in the MPG from stock 265 65 17 vs 275 70 17?
Does the 275 aired up fit in the stock tire rack underneath? It might be a pain in the ass, but maybe try before mounting them on your rig.
I had these mounted last night.

I did have to do the fender liner mod to get the 275s fit. It took 20 minutes in my freezing cold garage, so not very difficult. Video here:

My initial assessment after driving them home last night and then to the city this morning is they feel heavy. The ride itself didn’t change much (no jarring or stiffness), but I can really feel them when I brake and turn the wheel... especially when changing lanes on the highway. They also wander a little bit on the highway. I don’t remember my E rated BFGs on my TJ feeling this noticeably heavy, but it was a solid axel and I did have a beefed up steering stabilizer, so maybe that’s why. The suspension on my TJ was also much stiffer, so I’m guessing stiffer suspension on the GX will help as well.

It’s not unbearable as it is, but something I’ll have to get used to. No more 85mpg during rush hour for me.

I had these mounted last night.

I did have to do the fender liner mod to get the 275s fit. It took 20 minutes in my freezing cold garage, so not very difficult. Video here:

My initial assessment after driving them home last night and then to the city this morning is they feel heavy. The ride itself didn’t change much (no jarring or stiffness), but I can really feel them when I brake and turn the wheel... especially when changing lanes on the highway. They also wander a little bit on the highway. I don’t remember my E rated BFGs on my TJ feeling this noticeably heavy, but it was a solid axel and I did have a beefed up steering stabilizer, so maybe that’s why. The suspension on my TJ was also much stiffer, so I’m guessing stiffer suspension on the GX will help as well.

It’s not unbearable as it is, but something I’ll have to get used to. No more 85mpg during rush hour for me.

What PSI are you running? They shouldn't wander either.... maybe an alignment issues? I 285s track well at 75-80 MPH.

What PSI are you running? They shouldn't wander either.... maybe an alignment issues? I 285s track well at 75-80 MPH.
I checked this morning and the front were at ~33 and the rear at ~31. I know you mentioned you run 35. I’m going to up it tonight on my way home.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom