LANDTANK - Front brake upgrade for 16" rims (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

landtank

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
landtankproducts.com
A little back story. Almost 9 years ago I looked into a brake upgrade for my original 80 series truck. The basic idea was to put together an upgrade using stock components sourced from other Toyota vehicles.

The main reason for this, is I wanted readily available parts should I need to service the system. And I wanted to retain the 16" rims and not have to buy new rims and tires which would add to the cost of the upgrade.

The first challenge was to identify a caliper that had larger pistons, would bolt to the knuckle and have a banjo style hose connection at the caliper while still allowing a 16" rim to fit. Believe it or not this was the easy part.

I sourced some junk yard calipers for mocking up the rotor I would need and this is where things got ugly. While these calipers required the same thickness of rotor it also needed a larger diameter rotor and a rotor with a larger pad surface area along with a different offset. All this meant that the caliper would not bolt to the knuckle if the rotor was in place and even if I shimmed the rotor to the correct offset the rotor's diameter was too small and the pads would hang over the rotors edge and still be bigger than the pad area.

At this point I would need a custom rotor and I did look into it. There were companies that offered that service as well a few startups that had rotor hat combinations. The rotor hat combination was promising but there was nothing for the 80. No rotor or hat for what I was trying to do. So the only option was a custom rotor and cost set aside, not having a rotor supply readily available was a non starter. Rotors are a wear item and really needs the backing of a large company and not some wingnut in his garage.

So all the hardware and bits and pieces were placed in a box on a shelf in my garage and all the online info was copied into a "brake upgrade" folder in my Projects drive and the concept was put to rest.

Then 8 months ago while digging up some info to answer a question for a customer my eye happened to focus on that brake upgrade folder, and I wondered...

So here is the end result and the components that I used.

First up is the calipers. I sourced the calipers from a 2003-2007 Toyota 100 series. These bolt right up to the knuckle, they require a 32mm thick rotor and have a banjo connection to the brake hose.

The stock 80 caliper is a 4 piston caliper and all 4 pistons are 45.3mm OD
the 100 series calipers are a 4 piston caliper but have pairs of pistons. 2 pistons are 45.4mm OD and 2 are 51.0mm OD

The brake pads for the 100 series are significantly larger as well.

Attached is a pic of the 100 series caliper showing the piston arrangement
inside new caliper.JPG

Last edited:
The rotor hat combination is made from a custom designed hat and a wilwood spec37 rotor. It's a directional rotor with curved cooling fins and considered a Heavy Duty off road rotor. It's the correct thickess and diameter to work with the calipers and brake pads. I designed the Hat to provide the proper spacing and the 100 series caliper and pads work as delivered from the factory. There is no need to remove shims or anything like that.

The rotors are mounted to the hats using 12 proprietary bolts and need to be safety wired in place per wilwood.

Attached are some pics of the rotors, hats and them installed.
hat inside.JPG
Hat outside.JPG
wire tied.JPG
rotor mounted.JPG
finished install.JPG

With the larger pistons I felt there was a need for a larger Master Cylinder. The stock MC has a 1" bore. The T-100 in 1 ton form has a MC with a 1.0625" bore. These master cylinders comes in both ABS and non ABS form. The other difference is that it has an internal float switch verses a float in the cap. I had to make up a harness to connect that internal switch to the trucks harness. The connector housing at the end of the stock float is NLA so I had to use the one that was on the truck. Here are pics of the harness and the installed MC

float harness pigtail.JPG
old connector.JPG
completed harness.JPG
installed MC.JPG

Looks slick

My HZJ105 has 32mm thick rotors, and 322mm diameter.

Curious about the thickness of your rotor. You mention 25mm, but if you're using 100 series calipers, you may be leaving something on the table. 32mm gives more opportunity for cooling vents in the rotor?

Looks slick

My HZJ105 has 32mm thick rotors, and 322mm diameter.

Curious about the thickness of your rotor. You mention 25mm, but if you're using 100 series calipers, you may be leaving something on the table. 32mm gives more opportunity for cooling vents in the rotor?

the 1” comment was about bore not rotor thickness. These are Wilwood 32mm thick rotors.

Where does the mechanical advantage come from? If the master cylinder to piston ratio is maintained, there's no mechanical advantage. Larger diameter rotor or higher friction pads (or a stronger booster) are needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom