Landcruiser 60/62 with 3B Turbo - Timing Chain .. Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi

I have a 62 with a 3B. Last month it just gave up on me. Doesn't start, been sitting in the driveway. Starter and battery are in good shape. No leaks or visible damage to motor. However it doesn't crank. I can turn it manually about half way in both directions. From there on it just doesn't move. Gets stuck at the same point I think. Inside the valve cover: it stops turning on piston 2 (If viewed from the front). Happened first when the engine was running. Just stalled and been sitting since.

My question is does this sound like a timing chain issue or is it something worse?

What is the best course of action? I have very minimal mechanical abilities.

Any help is appreciated. This is my daily driver. Thanks in advance.

3b engines don't have a timing chain, they are gear driven. You may have dropped a precup. I'd take it to someone familiar with land cruisers or diesels before you do more damage trying to start it. Or tackle it yourself, couldn't be a simpler vehicle to learn on. Also you'll have more luck in the diesel tech section instead of here.

Bore scope either down the glow plug hole or the injectors ports will tell you if you dropped a cup.

Fxxx the expensive bore scope. Use a free straw. Dip it down each glow plug hole. If there is a difference in depth on your straw on one cylinder. One of the pre-cups has dropped.

Sorry Dieseler, I am a cheap ass.

Bore scope either down the glow plug hole or the injectors ports will tell you if you dropped a cup.

I just put a wire in the glow plug holes. Third hole has a different depth.

Does this definitely mean a dropped precup?

Where do i go from here?

Picture for reference

Thanks again

With a wire, it is posible to feed the wire right through the precup. A straw wont as easily. Double check with a straw and triple check again. But yes it sounds like a precup fell into the cylinder. Have you over heated your truck lately or forgot to put anti freeze in? Hope the precup didn't do a whole lot of damage. You will have to pull the head off your engine. Not a beginners job, but not that hard either.

I dropped a precup doing 40 kms/per hour and it locked up my rear end in the middle of an intersection. The precup destroyed the piston and cylinder sleeve. I bought a new engine.

You might want to re-post in the diesel 24 volt section. These gassers wont help you in this section.

cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom