Land Cruiser Longevity (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Land Cruisers Never Die!

Nothing else is aLand Cruiser.

Nice!!

Also interesting that 3 of the 5 SUVs in the top 10 are Toyotas (LC, Sequoia, 4R)...and...the only sedan on the list is also a Toyota (Avalon).

They learned from Toyota.

I am actually surprised the average LC owners keep their LC's for only 11 years. I would have thought longer. I plan to keep mine even longer unless 300 is something out of this world but I can't imagine anything greater than a 200.

They learned from Toyota.

I am actually surprised the average LC owners keep their LC's for only 11 years. I would have thought longer. I plan to keep mine even longer unless 300 is something out of this world but I can't imagine anything greater than a 200.

11 years is the average. For everyone who keeps theirs 20+ years there's a dealer who drives one for 2 years and then sells it.

The LC also has one of the longest re-design cycles out there which surely wouldn't hurt the numbers. 10 years is a long time between redesigns...with the first 200's being built in 2007.

I was surprised by the Corvette...been thinking when it is time to get rid of the SL500, I might try a Vette for something different, gold chains and all.

I owned an FJ62 for 28 years, an FZJ80 for 20 years and now there's a new 200 sitting in the garage. I will be dead before the later one gives up the ghost because the two other ones are still running strong.

11 years is the average. For everyone who keeps theirs 20+ years there's a dealer who drives one for 2 years and then sells it.

I resemble the latter of this remark. I just turned 34 and I've had 40 cars and motorcycles, including a stint of 5 years driving the same vehicle. As much as I loved my 100, I barely kept it 2 years, and I love the 200 more but I know it will not stay in the garage forever. It doesn't really matter how much I like a vehicle, I just like change, but I'll be honest after only 6 months with my 200 it's probably the best vehicle I've ever owned.

I haven't counted the vehicles I've owned (I'm about to now-curious!) but I'm in the same camp as you, only I'm a little older at 38.

I plan to keep the 200 forever, because it's just unlike anything else out there and it will probably be a collectors item.

Edit, I'm at 32. Most of them I bought new. It's only a problem if you go to meetings for it.

Last edited:
Because they are the most reliable vehicle overall

Best and Worst Quality Index Ratings - Dashboard Light

with more average miles driven than any other SUV

Toyota Land Cruiser Reliability - Dashboard Light

On the very last chart of that second link there is spike in "Powertrain defects" on the 2008 Model Year. Does anyone know why that is?

Conversely, on the 1995 Model year there is a huge drop, that it comes back to the normal Land Cruiser average on the 1996 model. Are theses both flukes? or is there a reason for these?

I'm 54 and don't keep up with you guys on number of cars but have had 20 over the years including 6 cruisers. 2 40's, an 80, 2 100's and a 200. I normally get tired of a truck after 4-5 years, but this '08 200 is still just amazing to me and I just don't know what I'd replace it with? The newer ones don't really have upgrades that interest me enough to start over. Maybe the 300 will be special, but I'm not really holding out hope that it will be. Now... if they built a 4 door ICON like 40 with the modern stuff, I'm in, at a significantly lower price point than an ICON. Definitely not holding my breath on that. I think Jeep has bribed Toyota to never compete in that space again.

I am 43. I have only had 5 cars total in my life. I got my first car when I was 16 in 1990. In November of 1998 I got a brand new 1999 Isuzu Trooper. I loved that truck and after 10 years I got a sedan but kept my Trooper (OME Expedition shocks and springs 2003, rebuilt the transmission in 2015 - damn GM transmission - 4l30E), but this past winter it made it's last trip to the slopes (18 years of loyal service - RIP January 28, 2017). I barely made it home but she got me there spitting black smoke and shuddering (Blown gasket and more transmission issues). Now I am a proud owner of a 2017 Toyota Land Cruiser and couldn't be happier!!!! Big upgrade from what I had and looking forward to all the trips in store with her:steer:. Told the wife this will be the last vehicle I will own till I retire (To get her to buy off on the big purchase I had to sign a contract stating as such)...

I'm 40 and my 2013 LC is my 5th vehicle. 3 fords,1 rangerover and this LC. My first truck, at 16, was a hand me down ranger that I put 100k on. It had somewhere in the neighbor hood of 300k total. My second car, while I was in school, was a 96 Taurus brand new. I turned left when I shouldn't have. It died at 154k. The expedition had 200k and ten years on it when it became the camp, tow, beat the s*** out of truck. I had always wanted a Range Rover. <- Second biggest mistake I have ever made. After three years, about 75k miles and plenty of major repairs I traded in on a new LC. It has been a solid truck so far. 70k in and the only major repair has been an AC leak.

Wow, some of you guys are mega diehard LC. I've had about 80 cars - I'm 40. Longest I've owned a car was 98 NSX-T. That said, I this 17 is my first LC and I've always loved them. They are always special and are built so well. Then again my 13 E350 Bluetec was also legendary and typically owners keep them forever. It lasted 2 years with us.

Nonetheless, I am sure the 200 will set a new record and make it to at least 5 years!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom