Kokopelli Trail/Moab 2019 April-May (1 Viewer)

Dates

• April 20 - May 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • April 26 - May 5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • May 3 - May 12

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I may be faster than your tired 1fz, but you will probably beat my gas mileage in my tundra towing my tired 1fz.

Ick, Houston we have a problem. Time to request the extension
20190412_120025.jpg

Since I have a 75 foot platform scale at work, I thought I would see how much weight I am going to tow over the mountains. The 80 weighs 5900 lbs. and the truck and trailer combos are below.

5215D53B-98B6-4E95-B94C-C8EFB8FE8574.jpeg

After some back and forth I managed to get the tongue weight to 10 percent and marked the trailer for repeatability.

That’s not too bad. Mine hovers around 6040 with an empty cab with 36 gallons of fuel.

That will be about where I am with three cans in the carrier. This was with only about 20gallons of fuel in the tank.

Lotta discussion about getting all the way to Grand Junction on Thursday. Considering at least 13 hours, can we plan to leave KC considerably early, like 6:30am? Don’t want to be caught in rush hour in either KC or Denver and that’s about the right departure time to miss both. Also, are folks planning hotel Thurs night?

I think Denver is 10 hours away, so I like to leave really early, between 3-5 AM. That should get me to Denver in early afternoon. I like driving at night though.

While I would love to leave with you guys at either of those times, we're shoehorned into a later time because Syl has to school drop off duty that morning. Happy to bring up tail-gunner for the "late morning" crew. Still planning on GJ.

Jack

I don't think chef and I and possibly Dwayne and Steve are doing the straight thru but prob stopping in Denver for the night (dog friendly hotel). With the dogs we'd prefer mountain drive in daylight. In years past we've done the Grand Junction run with a tow rig and without and it was pretty brutal. Older i get the more i want a "vacation". I seem to recall being all hopped up on mtn dew by the time we hit grand junction and unable to sleep in the wal-mart parking lot. We will roll into Moab later than you all but don't let us stop you all from getting there! We'll prob leave KC around 830 ish on Thurs to let Rush hour die down a tad. Plenty of Adult and dog potty breaks along the way. So we can be the sweep crew..

I’m up for early, but 3 -4 is a bit much. My vote is leave at 5 am.

Looks like Mitch and I won't be leaving until Saturday morning due to his finals schedule and when he can get home. If anyone else is leaving late they are welcome to join. Likely leave 0300-0400 and drive straight thru.

The Crowley's will be running with Erik and the mid MO crew. We are bringing Ella and one of our pets (Troy), so pushing it to Grand Junction sounds like a horrible idea. I'll need a stiff drink before we hit Bonner Springs.

Update: Been talking with Kelly about some of the trails and he came up with a solid list. I'm putting together an Excel spreadsheet with these trails and am including some of the comments from Charles Wells and his "Guide to Moab" book. On the spreadsheet, you'll find the name, rating, page number, duration, mileage, area on map, a "paired with", and a few comments.

Seems like the easier trails take 2-4 hours and the harder trails take from 4-7 hours. Whether or not we do two trails in a day, that's a good group think.

More to come on a shorter "preferred list" of trails and timing on morning departure. Departure will depend on trail length and the time to drive to the trailhead.

Last edited:
Well, this sucks. A lot of things went really wrong this weekend which brought me to the gut wrenching decision of having to cancel this trip.

The 2 major things are that my mom fell coming out of their garage steps and broke the top of her right femur off, and had to undergo hip replacement (they cemented a metal ball to the top of her femur and put everything back together). Early assessments are that she will be in assisted care with PT/OT for at least 4 weeks before she can even go home.

And secondly, we run a fine balance with 3 young ones, my oldest being quoted by his teachers as "the most spirited kid we've had in our classes..." With some health issues over the last week, and this thing with mom, I wouldn't exactly be getting any "dad of the year" awards leaving everything on Rachael's plate for 10 days. This last week with me here have been trying enough; with me gone, I wouldn't be coming back to a healthy home. Seeing many of you this weekend made this an even tougher decision, as I really miss the fellowship.

But it's not a "never," just a "not right now" for me.

God bless guys. Hope it's epic!

Mike

Who has the "roster" or can we make one of who's who, mud names, real names, driver and passenger names , dog names , truck year, color, type and ham call sign? I'll do it if everyone PM me this info. And an email address to share the Google doc
Did we get a list and cell numbers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom