Keystone Cruisers Next Monthly Run is THIS Saturday 12/9 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Waiting for pics of wheeling and mayhem in the snow.

Have some pics, will try to post tomorrow. No real mayhem, I kept us off the trails that would have been really sketchy in the snow, well, most of them at least.

I made it home safe. Already had a shower got Chinese and had some Woodford reserve. Now watching tv. No real trouble getting home. I saw a Nissan Titan get squirrly in front of me. I got to Lebanon and then put it in 4wd the rest of the way.

Can't wait to hear the report and see the photos. The roads were indeed slippery around here by mid-afternoon. After hearing how the south property is torn up due to pipeline construction I'm anxious to hear a first hand report. And how was breakfast at Buddy's? It wouldn't be my first choice but there isn't much around that area especially for breakfast.

What trails on the south property are closed due to pipeline? I know a good portion of the eastern most trails on the NE property are closed for it.

What trails on the south property are closed due to pipeline? I know a good portion of the eastern most trails on the NE property are closed for it.
Every thing near the highway.

So here is my part. We started out the day doing trail F or Fing trail as I have heard it called. We did the black lines before the snow started and all agreed it was fun. Then headed to the far end of the property, Crusha lead us to a hill climb, it was very rutted and muddy, I gave it hell but was denied at the very top twice. I also slid down it backwards twice. We stopped near affliction IIRC and looked at the pipe line.

I seldom get to this side of the park and have zero sense of direction over there. I did however enjoy some of the views and bet they would be great on a clear day. Crusha and Lilly got all the pics.

Only the Northeast property was open at Rausch Creek due to deer season, and it wasn't open until eleven. Anthracite was closed for the same reason, so we met for breakfast at Buddy's Log Cabin before heading to RC. My second time at Buddy's, and definitely my last. It's pretty mediocre...Blecch. :yuck:

It was Andy @jamarquardt22, Greg @El Dahs, and myself with one of my daughters in tow. She loves wheeling! I told her I'd let her drive soon and she was thrilled with the thought! After we ate, we headed over to RC. There was hardly anybody there and it was only $20 to wheel the Northeast Property, as it should be due to a good portion of it being closed for pipeline construction.

165.jpg

We stopped at red trail F, which is right inside the property, to walk it for future reference. It actually has a lot of different sections, with a good portion of black trail, so we decided to run it.
Right as we entered the bottom of the trail, it started to snow pretty heavily. This made it all the more challenging. We all made it through with no issues. Here's a few pics...

017.JPG

048.JPG

056.JPG

After F, we headed over to blue trail 39. There is a steep, heavily rutted hillclimb with a huge puddle at the bottom of it. Andy had never been on this trail before and gave the hillclimb a shot...twice, but was denied at the very top both times. He was so close, but it was just too slick and deeply rutted.

Action shot of Andy half way up...

075.JPG

I wanted to take us down to the bottom of the property to run the three 38 trails, A, B, and C. I really like these trails, but it's been a while since I've been on them. We also wanted to take a look at Outer Limits. It's pretty much gone, totally torn up with a pipeline ready to be buried through it. I'm eager to see what this all becomes after the construction.

094.JPG

095.JPG

By the time we got down to the bottom of the property, after doing blue K2 and L2. It had been snowing constantly since we entered the property, and by the time we got down to the 38's it was "interesting".

We did 38B, which is off camber in some spots, and traction was a challenge due to the slick rocks and tons of leaves. It was a fun little trail. I decided to skip the other two due to the snow. I do remember 38C is very off camber, and just the small hillclimb at the entrance was a little too sketchy with it being covered in snow. :eek: We skipped them and headed back up with a plan to run 35 over to N2. Once again, the slick conditions deemed 35 to be bypassed.

Up to N2 we go.

091.JPG

N2, while being a Blue on the map was barely a green, even covered in snow. :hmm: Kind of a disappointing end of day trail...

We made our way out of the park, aired up, and played with one of my RC crawlers in the lot...in the freezing cold...while it continued to snow...for thirty minutes...like the children we are. :)

Here are a few more random photos.

093.JPG

136.JPG

103.JPG

130.JPG

The only "carnage" of the day was when I clipped a stump with my l/f wheel well. It was just enough to push the fender into the door and cause a "click" every time I opened the door :meh:

114.JPG

Wow, great report and excellent pictures! Thanks Greg and Andy for the commentary. Must have been very interesting. I would never have imagined the park being torn up as much as the pictures showed, the pipeline sure is having its way! I would guess many of the trails currently affected will be once again accessible when the pipeline is done. Once before, when they cleared all the trees out of there, the trails changed a lot. Maybe a lot of the clear cutting a few years ago was done with knowledge of the pipeline coming.

I remember 38A and 38B being short and very off camber. In fact I have a picture somewhere of SteveO's 62 (from VA) leaning against a tree on 38B!

Damn I wish i could have been along for the day sure looked awesome!

I have that very same "click" on my passengers door. Can't seem to get the fender back where it needs to be yet. Even chipped off the Monstaliner already and I have to slam the door every time for it to close properly.

Looked like a lot of fun in those conditions though.

Crusha - what is the map app I can download for the Rausch Trails?

Looks like a good time. Last time i was out in the snow it was just @jamarquardt22 and myself. Certainly made the day more interesting.

The snow always mixes things up. A green trail can become a blue real quickly, and a blue, a black.

If I recall correctly, @Stoshu and @joabmc carried the torch for a club run one snowy day that ended up a becoming quite an “adventure”...

You are correct @Crusha. Jody and I had an interesting go of the place back in early 2015 (Jan. or Feb. I believe). There were already a couple inches down and it got to snowing so hard we had trouble getting up a few trails. To make matters more challenging, we had a woefully unprepared XJ owner and two of his buddies piloting a very beat down rig with us. They asked to tag along in the parking lot. He borrowed PS fluid after puking all his on the ground, High Lift and "X" wrench to change a flat on the trail, and was looking for more PS fluid or ATF by the end of the day :hillbilly:. I will give him an "A" for effort in flogging the daylights out of his rig though! There was another crew of Heeps that got pretty hung up in a really soggy area IIRC too. Made for a memorable day, especially trying to find the exit in a white out.

Really hoping to get the 80 up to snuff for next month's run. It's been too long...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom