Builds Just had to treat myself for Halloween... 65 SWB (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

did you tap and plug the casting hole in the head? it is on my To Do list but it might be weeping. if weeping might go at any time.

Tackling one of my least favorite jobs (again) on these early trucks...

B6E1C384-FCBE-4D7D-8240-BD9BF7F0FEFA.jpeg

As things seem to happen so often as we get older my plan to attend the 45 run was foiled again. I’ve owned the SWB for 10 years in October and have yet to make it up north.

This was to be the year, with vacation days locked in and nothing to stop me now that the truck is back on the road. But low and behold another curveball strikes again and it is not meant to be.

So instead my daughter Sydney (5) and I are camping at South Carlsbad State Beach before she starts kindergarten next week. I’ll miss all the other socks and sandals cruiser nerds up north but for now I’m happy.

Prepped and ready for the long 8.5 mile drive...

55AA8418-3346-40C7-87E4-450B00A124ED.jpeg

Syd brought her own 2 wheels but insisted that the 45 would be the vehicle of choice...

3FDDBA71-4ED5-4EA2-9BC8-BFE74FB40D47.jpeg

Camp is pretty bare bones but it’s hard to beat the view. Once in awhile it takes a small child to remind you of the important stuff...

5B1EBA0D-3E0D-4F9F-B431-1909BA40DABA.jpeg

It’s hard to top time spent with your children, especially when they are young.

10 years ago today I brought home this great truck. It joined the 73 FJ40 I bought 24 years ago when I was 24 and has been a part of the family ever since. I sent an email to the previous owner today and he responded right away with appreciation for staying in touch. And as many old owners do... asked to be at the top of the list if I ever sell it.

In the time I’ve owned it...

I’ve replaced many parts, upgraded a few things, busted a few knuckles and threw a few wrenches. I’ve drank way too much beer, met more cool cruiserheads and even helped start the cruiser bug on a few others. I met the love of my life, got married to her and had a daughter. I lost a grandmother and a few friends but nonetheless it’s been a great ten years.

Here’s to cool old trucks, friendship and family.

Happy Halloween.

D055EE44-764F-4E17-9FD9-4E2DEF1772B9.jpeg

So this time last year this little piggie was off the road in the middle of the 3FE/4 Speed conversion. My daughter was upset (to say the least) that the 45 wouldn’t be used to get the Christmas tree like every year since she was born.

Thanks to some great friends... Brett, Noah, Pat, Chris et al and many mudders... this year my daughter has a smile on her face.

Just this one day each year makes it worth having...

50B70911-B8D4-4C5E-9AC1-15C693A1534D.jpeg

6FA2DBDC-3499-4653-B636-403CD3B69B69.jpeg

So I’ve been dealing with an oil leak since the rebuild. I’ve lazily checked the few common problem spots (galley plug, side cover, oil pan, valve cover) with no definitive results.

Tonight hoping to come to some solid conclusions with a UV test.

Oil leak after every drive (tape for scale)...

5B3E647A-880F-4776-B5AF-CA3D5DBC89C4.jpeg

Assembled parts for the test....

F149DDE6-15E2-4AA0-9236-F084C6DD95D3.jpeg

I just need to do a quick clean up wipe of the motor so there’s no residual oil anywhere, drink a few more beers and wait until it’s dark.

Oil galley plug. This thing has been a pain in the ass since the rebuild...

B90FEE6B-965E-4343-9FFA-EBE0350B331E.jpeg

Pic is hard to tell but it’s leaking down from the galley plug and along the bottom of the head.

When we drilled and tapped it the correct plug wouldn’t fit. It was the weirdest thing. After lots of head scratching we determined that the Craftsman tap in my set was mislabeled and was actually a different tap size. WTF!?

:censor:

They replaced the tap but not after the damage was done. We determined what the size actually was and used plugs to that size and sealant. Obviously not working as expected.

Just another reason to work in the garage and drink beer I guess.

Impressed with the UV stuff. Bought a 6 pack and the 12 year old ramjet/H55 install on the 40 is showing its age with a few leaks. I think the engine/tranny and transfer on that are the next candidates for the UV!!!!

I had removed the old Eaton heater when it started seeping after the 3FE install and finally took it apart...

IMG_7940.jpg

IMG_7942.jpg

IMG_7944.jpg

The old school radiator guy is going to pressure test it and see what he comes up with. He's pretty sure any heat put to it will cause more damage so it may not be a candidate for repair. He also suggested that he may have a place that could make a custom size replacement to match but honestly I'm not sure it's worth the cost.

We'll see what he has to say tomorrow. I don't even really use the heater with the seat heaters and the floorboards!

i also have an eaton heater in my 63 fst. Couple of questions for you. How many speeds do you have on the heater fan? Also, do you have the heater fitted to the defrost vents? If so, please snap a few pictures. The pull/twist switch/cable is seized on mine and i had to cut the knob off just to try to get it out of the truck. If you go the route of giving up on the heater, please let me know. I would be interested in your set up for spare parts.

^ I’ll let you know. I probably won’t be deciding anytime soon. Shop says they are trying to find one of a similar size.

The switches are a pretty generic period correct switch. If I remember I have 3 speeds. Full left was low, middle was off and 2 more higher speeds to the right. It could be 2 speeds with only one high to the right. I could probably throw a voltmeter on the switch for you to see what I get if that helps.

My defrost was hooked to one defroster because my truck was missing one at the windshield. I’ve since sourced one and painted it to match better (was green) but have not installed it as the top has never been off. The hose is a pretty simple route up to the bottom of the windshield but I don’t have any pics.

So this turned out to be the right recipe:

BEE43046-3250-40E2-AB30-9878C368450C.jpeg

Thorough cleaning (again) and the magic was either the Toyota FIPG or I hadn’t drank enough Modelo’s.

Probably will never know.

Either way it passed the 5 minute idle test and 15 minute test drive. Might be the best Christmas present all year!

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom