Builds Just had to treat myself for Halloween... 65 SWB (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Boring thread lately I know... but got the head back from the machine shop and decided to inspect the bottom end before putting the top end back on.

We decided since we're this far we might as well go all the way.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The block is at the machine shop and cam is at Schneider for a little upgrade.

New Pistons, rings, bearings, etc and she should run like a top. 4 speed and transfer all ready to go as well but I think we'll drop her in and run the 3 speed column shifter for now. Lots of fuel injection wiring to figure out as well.

4 speed column shift will take some R&D and some time.

Still need to finish cleaning the throttle body and install that, and tighten up quite a few of the accessories that are in place but not torqued to spec.

If I knew how long this would take I probably wouldn't have tackled it!

Once the motor is buttoned up then comes the ECU and electrical.

:bang:

Do the 4 speed now, I thought the same thing, but I'd forgot how bad the three spd sucks.

Drove my 71 for a month and it was back in loosing that boat anchor.

Tex-

If I can sort out the 4 speed column shift quickly I’ll put the 4 speed in. But I don’t want to cut the tunnel on this for a floor shift and the hardest part will be fabbing up a taller tunnel. It’s mostly just a putt around town truck anyway so I can tolerate the 3 speed for awhile.

Rob- yes you should!!!!

In preparation for bringing her back in the shop she’s getting a big bug bomb treatment. We have tons of creatures, black widows, etc and since it’s been outside...

I prefer not to create a possible infestation.

725E6301-DEE7-44D0-A3EA-C780526748FC.jpeg

Dom,

Where is your sense of adventure! Love finding creepy crawlees! Great to see this fine 45 still getting upgrades under great stewardship! Looking foward to the 3fe!!

Bro if its on the weekend of November 4th I have no problem breaking down a Cruiser LOL ( I will leave the sawzall at home )

Dom, I don’t recommend Rob coming over! You might end up with a chopped, chevy powered, pissmo dune jumping 45 icon that the whole world knows about! Maybe not a bad thing!!, cheers you so cal boys!

Tomorrow I’ll clear the bib, remove the radiator and disconnect everything in the engine compartment.

Waiting for my buddy to drop off the engine hoist. Hopefully tomorrow. Engine leveler arriving via ups tonight.

:beer:

Do the 4 speed now, I thought the same thing, but I'd forgot how bad the three spd sucks.

Drove my 71 for a month and it was back in loosing that boat anchor.

My 70 FJ40 still has the three speed column shift and wouldn't change it for the world. That said one is enough. My 45 was switched to a floor shift.long before I bought. While I have the parts to convert back to a column shift and a uncut transmission tunnel I heading the opposite way. Four speed and split transfer case with hand brake. Mine had a 2F in it have a 3FE to replace it with. Will be following as interested in how the wiring harness works out. Mounting the engine seems straight forward. It getting all the wiring straightened out that's a challenge. Hoping either a 78 or 80 harness will be easier. Dom since your keeping your original engine might consider just pulling your stock harness and splice into a different harness and put the original with the engine.

Well....

After picking up the disassembled engine hoist I got to work on pulling the motor. My wife had friends over and I had a small window to get this thing out. So I put the hoist together and hooked up the engine balancer. I started hoisting and it just seemed like it wasn’t quite doing it’s job. I checked everything again and decided to try some more. Maybe the mounts were stuck for some reason so I bottle jacked the front off and then lowered them back down. Then floor jacked the two rears. All good.

Long story short I’m a dumb ass. I let my impatience get the best of me and rushing made a mess of everything. I always tell the guys at work to own your mistakes and be sure to share them no matter how embarrassing so that others can learn.

This is what happened when the hoist failed...

46F7BE1A-C13F-430F-8621-22EB2607B8DE.jpeg

The hoist failed because I didn’t attach the support straps. Duh. What a dumb s***. The weight flexed the mounting point and pulled the bolts through the crossmember. Luckily I still had the floor jack supporting the back of the motor so that broke the fall but it made a hell of a noise.

I went and got a new hoist and will try to get this off the ground tomorrow. Pretty disappointed in how stupid this was. Good news is no one was hurt and I don’t think there’s any real damage. It’s resting on the bellhousing.

I miss the days when I could take my time and enjoy working on my rigs. Now I’m always feeling rushed with kids/family getting the well deserved attention. This was a reminder I need to slow down and it takes whatever it takes time wise.

9CD650BF-9F10-4131-A0C2-03664ABDA6CE.jpeg

Dead soldier...

258CF6AB-E7CF-4F55-8673-EEAE2EB8FA24.jpeg

I’m going to get a metal plate to weld to the bottom of this crossmember, drill new holes, new bolts and she’ll be good to go again.

Embarrassing day.

I feel defeated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom