Just found an all original 1972 FJ55 - Is there a color code on this thing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
From what I can tell the white top portion was added after the fact, has a hard tape line down the middle and there are spots where the white has faded out and you can see the orangeish color beneath it along with the sanding scratches. The whole inside of the truck is white, the inside of the gas filler door looks polux orange to me. Look like a 304 polux orange truck to you? Rare color or common? Also has a factory PTO winch.

IMG_20170901_072907.jpg
IMG_20170901_072927.jpg

Interesting, i'll try the tailgate panel. Truck is a 2x owner, the title I have was issued in 1988, runs drives all original everything works just has a few small rust spots on the body in typical spots but the floor/frame etc are perfect.

I'm thinking of keeping the faded/rusted look it looks pretty cool on the lower fenders and just clearing over it like a rat rod leaving it all original minus the white top. Or should I put a fresh coat of 304 polux on it?

The roof is fine, it sat in a covered barn for decades so the rust is fairly minimal compared to the rotted FJ40 my neighbor had. They stopped driving it because a bad valve adjustment (I don't know how you mess that up) burned the exhaust valve on #3. So I have to fix that one valve but it runs pretty good on 5.5 cylinders.

Are all FJ55 two tone or is it possible this was a solid orange truck? It looks like the white paint was added after the fact.

Rare color or common?

Here is the color and spec chart for the US-Spec Land Cruiser from 1968-1979. If you see an error please post it here and I will correct the page and graphic ASAP. You can upload a photo of your car to the site by clicking on the above graphic, then clicking on the appropriate camera icon next to your color.

I will make updates on the chart within a day of any errors or additions posted. To confirm or add your color to the chart just post a photo or description of your car along with the model year (or production date) and the color code. The three-character color code can be found on the production information on a metal plate attached to the firewall near the back of the engine compartment.

According to Toyota reference dot com 71 and 72 only.

toyota_landcruiser_fj55_304_01.jpg

Toyota Land Cruiser Touchup Paint Codes, Image Galleries, Brochure and TV Commercial Archives

Last edited:
I'm going to scrape off some of the white paint and see what is underneath, if I can find a layer of the polux orange AND a layer of primer underneath that and no other colors that would be sweet to have a solid polux orange truck, I can't even find a picture of one on google image.

The roof looks like it was originally white, but up to the roof you can see the white paint fading off and the original color underneath.
IMG_20170901_211944.jpg
IMG_20170901_211929.jpg
IMG_20170901_211905.jpg

that is consistent I think with the other 2-tone factory jobbies(about 96% of them) at least that was the case on my 77 red/white and my 73 blue/white...seemed like the exterior white was shot after the color...

PUMPKIN!

I cannot find a single picture of one that was solid orange, were the 72' pigs ever offered in solid colors or were they all 2-tone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom