just changed rear brake pads....now ABS light on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, I just changed the rear brake pads on my 97 FZJ80 (they were really worn) and after replacing, the ABS light stays on. I disconnected the battery for about 3 minutes...no dice. I did have to compress the caliper and that caused fluid to leak out of the reservoir but I drained enough to the point of being between full and empty so I don't think that would cause the issue. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
JARED

did you unplug the abs on the back

You didn't mention if you've driven the rig afterwards. If parked, did you leave it Low Range? CDL switch on? Lockers?

Yep, I've driven it. No lockers, engaged CLD, reset battery, etc. I haven't tried jumping terminals Tc and E1. Will do that. Otherwise, I guess I am going to take the rear brakes apart this afternoon. I never would have guessed changing rear brake pads would trip the ABS sensor.

Did you clean the abs sensors? If they are dirty, it will trip. Just screw it, clean with rag and reinstall.

Read the code(s). Doing the pads has nothing to do with the ABS system, maybe shook some metal bits loose, that stuck to the magnet/sensor?

Yeah, I'll try taking the sensor out and cleaning it. I'll also research how to read the codes

Ok, I think I was finally able to get a code. I removed the short pin, jumped E1 and Tc, and pressed the brake pedal rapidly and the ABS light flashes 3 blinks --pauses and then blinks 4 times before starting the pattern again. I tried searching for this code and no luck... Any thoughts?

Figured it out. left rear speed sensor. I looked at it and the speed sensor is broken. Hopefully these things aren't too much $$ and are easy to change out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom