John Deere HIR bulbs (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So Firetruck, what's the verdict on the road test??

Thanks,
Rookie2

Last edited:

Thanks,
Joele

Experiences on cruisers have been well spoken for...so I'll just share my experience on another vehicle...

I recently swapped out the Toshiba HIR (MIJ version ) from an old E30 BMW (which is rarely used) to replace the stock 51W Sylvania in the '06 Sienna...all I can say is "holly sh!t!!!" :eek: :eek: :eek:

The improvement is way way more dramatic with the new FF reflector design than that of a lens reflector on the cruiser, provided the cruiser has pretty good pattern already.

After ordering mine from my local JD dealer, they showed up a day later and are the right piece. I'll install them tomorrow. Pure joy.

There has got to be the hookup for the highbeams somewhere for a similar price. A buddy of mine with an LX450 just replaced a blown out low beam bulb with Silverstars and spent around $50. Heh heh. :cool: . .

Thanks,
Joele

I have only been driving one night, driving on some dark county roads, the light is definitely better and brighter, I can't describe it really, but it is a definite improvement.

Got mine. Took all of one minute to snip the JD tabs to fit. Satisfied with my purchase. Headlights are about 50% brighter now. They charged me shipping, so four bulbs cost $46 with tax.

So, are the toshiba hir 90012's made in Japan twice as good as the JD hir 90012s made in China? Twice good since they are more than twice as expensive.

The bulbs fit my wifes 96 Camry.
Camry bulbs fit in the 80, ask me how I know :crybaby:
I have yet to get to the JD dealer.

So, are the toshiba hir 90012's made in Japan twice as good as the JD hir 90012s made in China? Twice good since they are more than twice as expensive.

They are all made in China now. Toshiba/Harrison shifted production from Japan to China. BTW, the JD bulbs are Toshiba/Harrison bulbs.

so, all of us that ordered from the ebay guy got ripped. we paid twice a much for the same bulbs. i guess that happens when you don't do your homework.

I think it's more of an(the?) opportunity cost.

The e-bay guy was the best price/source available to all of us on Mud at that time and IIRC he was very prompt and helpful. I did not buy from him, but I think most who purchased from him would not consider the experience as a "ripped off" from what I heard.

My $0.02

Mot

so, all of us that ordered from the ebay guy got ripped. we paid twice a much for the same bulbs. i guess that happens when you don't do your homework.
I think a better explanation would be that some folks paid a few bucks more than necessary for the HIR low beams, and got a good price on the HIR high beams which are not available from John Deere. Ripped off implies unsavory business practices, which does not seem to be the case. It's more likely a case of JD being able to buy in bulk to drive their costs down, which means they can offer savings that the ebay guy can't offer on the low beams.

I did not buy from him, but I think most who purchased from him would not consider the experience as a "ripped off" from what I heard.

My $0.02

Mot

I agree with Mot and I don't feel ripped off from buying earlier from another source. My John Deere dealer was quoting ~$28 per bulb the last time that I checked and when I politely mentioned that his price was above JD list price, he proceeded to tell me (not so politely) that I could pay his price if I wanted them, or I could take my business elsewhere and that he would charge whatever he wanted for the bulbs. Seems he didn't appreciate the price researching that we had done.

-B-

You should of known something was up when the e-bay guy responded to the inquiry about whether he still had the bulbs and could "honor" the old price. I think the response was something to the effect.... "LOL.., yeh I can do that for ya".

My John Deere dealer was quoting ~$28 per bulb the last time that I checked and when I politely mentioned that his price was above JD list price, he proceeded to tell me (not so politely) that I could pay his price if I wanted them, or I could take my business elsewhere and that he would charge whatever he wanted for the bulbs. Seems he didn't appreciate the price researching that we had done.

-B-

Sounds like he needs a good kick to the nuts.:bounce:

Far from true. The price of these has been decreasing over the past several years. The ebay guy was the lowest price for a long time. Now the production has shifted for the lamps from Japan to China, it appears that the wholesale cost has dropped considerably. The ebay guy delivered exactly what he advertised, it is our job as consumers to establish if it is a price we are willing to pay, not his. Welcome to part of living in a capitalistic society.

Agree with not getting ripped off! I am not sure the Japan bulb is/was worth twice the price now that there is an option, but several months ago the internet guy had the best deal going. Plus he took the time to mark area that had to be trimmed for the exact same price the JD dealer was charging if he could find them in the catalog. Capatilism, it's a he** of alot better than the alternative.

Back to the point, you should try this upgrade with the Slee harness to get the most improvement, imo.

My John Deere dealer was quoting ~$28 per bulb the last time that I checked and when I politely mentioned that his price was above JD list price, he proceeded to tell me (not so politely) that I could pay his price if I wanted them, or I could take my business elsewhere and that he would charge whatever he wanted for the bulbs. Seems he didn't appreciate the price researching that we had done.

-B-

Typical JD customer service. I am going to order my bulbs today and I remembered I needed some parts for a mower, so I also remembered they have online coupons. (sorry no bulbs, but if you need some liquid de-icer or JD color paint pens for free your in luck. They also have 25% off of fuel stabilizer) Can't wait to get the bulbs and thought the coupons might sweeten the deal for some.

https://secured.deere.com/en_US/homeowners/httpscontent/parts_coupons/index.html

I just installed my John Deere bulbs and there is a huge difference. I only paid $10.99 ea. and no shipping cost from my dealer in stockton. I received them in 2 days. The bulbs are marked made in Japan. I recommend this mod to everyone. I am currently searching for the 9011 version for a similar price.

:beer:

I installed my bulbs last friday afternoon, and noticed a big difference. We went up to the Blue Ridge to cut down a Christmas tree, and spent alot of time on dark roads driving home. My wife commented on how much brighter they are. I have the stock harness (for now).

Aiming them is the only tricky part. I need to fine tune my aiming to get the spread and pattern I want.

Please post up a link if you can find the 9011's for a similar price. We could do one heck of a group buy on those.

Just an FYI, I got my JD HIRs today, $10.49/ea + $1.80 freight from Revel Tractor in Raleigh NC, they are Toshiba and made in Japan. I am going to order some more Monday just to have them on hand.

I also put in the Slee harness at the same time, and now the light output is simply amazing.

Many thanks for the excellent tips and info here!:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom