Jemez Meet Up (1 Viewer)

Jemez Meet Up

• Saturday, Memorial Weekend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • June 2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So it looks like the humidity and temps are cooperating and helping with fire danger a bit, so hopefully they won't place a Stage 3/Forest Closure in place! :bounce:
Anyone up for a meet up in Jemez either Memorial weekend or the next? Obviously Memorial weekend could be nuts, but if the weather turns hot again or a large fire starts in the regions and local resources are sent there, they will likely close it. I was hoping we could ride up to the fire lookout (best views in the Jemez) but there's actually not a lot of parking up there and super windy. I did find a nice little side road not too far below it though that has a great meadow if we want to do a picnic, then if anyone was interested they could take the ride up and visit the lookout; he's quite shy but does like to share what he does up there. There's a few other side roads to explore as well.

Cheryl

Cheryl, thanks for bringing this up!
I’ll await members response on which weekend.
I think this would be a good option for an “in the field” meet up and maybe could combine sharing what we do for vehicle preparations and supplies, as discussed in @kezamora ’s post

Cheryl, thanks for bringing this up!
I’ll await members response on which weekend.
I think this would be a good option for an “in the field” meet up and maybe could combine sharing what we do for vehicle preparations and supplies, as discussed in @kezamora ’s post

That's a great idea, Grant! I think there's enough room in the meadow for "show and tell"!

The only weekend I could do is the 9th.

I'd be up for taking a day out with you guys this weekend or next weekend. Next weekend will probably be a lot less busy, but it sounds like a gamble in that if we wait too long the forest might close on us.

I'd be up for taking a day out with you guys this weekend or next weekend. Next weekend will probably be a lot less busy, but it sounds like a gamble in that if we wait too long the forest might close on us.

We just had a great rain! Let's hope that stalls any closures. :)

Thanks for putting this together Cheryl. Unfortunately, I'm heading south for camping this weekend before the temps spike up.

Hey everyone, We've had three fires up here in the past 24 hours. At least one is confirmed lightening strike from the storm Monday that finally reared it's head and one that is suspected but not confirmed to be a human start; not sure about the third... I have no idea what lies ahead as far as closures, but we're expecting more to pop up from the lightning the past two days and with the heavy camper use this weekend, the fire department has decided to ramp up patrols, so I will be in a brush truck, not the cruiser this weekend.

Let's contemplate June 2nd and hope the forest remains open!

Hey everyone, We've had three fires up here in the past 24 hours. At least one is confirmed lightening strike from the storm Monday that finally reared it's head and one that is suspected but not confirmed to be a human start; not sure about the third... I have no idea what lies ahead as far as closures, but we're expecting more to pop up from the lightning the past two days and with the heavy camper use this weekend, the fire department has decided to ramp up patrols, so I will be in a brush truck, not the cruiser this weekend.

Let's contemplate June 2nd and hope the forest remains open!
I'm able to join on the 9th if that ends up being the day. Thanks for posting up!

Pappy/Cheryl, can one of you guys open the poll up again so we can continue to vote??

Polls are back open! Looks like the 9th is in the lead... :)

No big incidents this weekend. Fingers crossed. And most volunteers will be back in town so I can go play!

WELLLLLLL I guess none of us are surprised. Full closure of the Jemez district goes into effect 8am Friday, June 1. It's not on their website yet, but just spoke to the Ranger; public notice will go out tonight sometime. Usually the give a weeks advance notice. We had a pretty uneventful weekend, until Sunday when we had several bonfires (not campfires) going and ended the evening with the Spanish Queen picnic area just south of the village being set ablaze. It grew FAST with no winds present.

We could pray for rain, do raindances, etc. and still plan on the 9th... and go to the Valles Caldera as a fallback plan. No rough or rugged roads, just very dusty dirt roads with tons of beautiful scenery, potential for wildlife (a pack of coyotes ran in front of me and my son's in the 40, stopped 20' away and just started singing!) and lots of grass to picnic and have a show & tell in. Fishing poles for the trophy waters and hiking boots would be appropriate.

Thoughts?

Boo. Come on rain!

Yah. Just discovered this is to include the backcountry of the Valles Caldera. We could drive in as far as the visitor center, but that's it. :(

Postpone for the moment till conditions improve? I cannot really think of any place up your way that I'd want to go to this time of year that is not on the forest!

Postpone for the moment till conditions improve? I cannot really think of any place up your way that I'd want to go to this time of year that is not on the forest!

Yep. Any suggestions for alternative spots for a meet up this month? If monsoon patterns hold true, then Jemez will be getting rain starting the 4th of July. Should we do a tentative plan for early/mid July? I'll be on the alpine loop July 19-22, so that's out for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom