It finally happened. I bought a 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Congrats! The front seats are in remarkably great shape.

1. As mentioned already…although it is an FJ, don’t call one of these an “FJ”…heard there’s a Forum for those, dunno, never been there. Colloquially, it’s a ‘60’ or an ‘FJ60‘ or ‘the Cruiser’ or ‘the rough idling leaky sh!tbox mutherfawker I hate love more than my wife when she’s not looking POS’. Quiz tomorrow, Extra credit: edit thread title 😛

2. What’s the build/engine plan? Replace the 2F or do something nefarious? Looks like the trans and t-case are still in it. Lift, etc?
Ok, sorry guys, I’ve been busy with “60” haven’t gotten online in a while. But it’s clean now.
I swear I’ll never refer to it as the FJ again.
I was originally hoping to find a take out long block, rebuild it and put it all back together as I have all the smog parts and accessories to do so. Yes it has the 4 speed and t case, and a bunch of new parts, clutch, calipers, ignition, etc. But, the cost of a long block is damn near the price of running early 2000’s Chevy truck. Sooooo it may be getting an LS build. My overall build plan is coil conversion with 80’s axles, 2.5” or 3” lift, 33”-34” tires, some kind of off-road bumpers, winch, swing out rear tire carrier bumper, safari rack? Maybe. 270* fox wing awning, rtt, those storage compartments in the rear quarters and tailgate, and a 62 dash swap. I love the 60 headlights, but I love the 62 dash. I’ve done a few full resto’s for other people so going down to a frame off level is within reach. I just need to finish one other project in the final stages of test, tune and fix all the little leaks that show up. My 84’ GMC k2500 p/u. With a fully built hi comp 350.

35D75E60-742E-4EEA-BB79-5B0842917C17.jpeg

02408A59-C56A-4407-946B-1B7F5613F5C3.jpeg

B21E92AA-6DD2-45A0-AE98-E856638369E3.jpeg

image.jpg

Noice. Looks like some new carpet is in your future! @dnp has some nice stuff for sale.

Before the FJ Cruiser came out it was quite common (even on Mud) to call any of the FJ series Cruisers an FJ, and there was never any correction. Then the FJ Cruiser was annnounced and shortly thereafter the FJ Series Land Cruisers can't be FJ's anymore. Talk about letting the tail wag the dog.

I personally never called my fj40 or fj62 just an FJ, always reference the actual Cruiser I was referring to, or maybe 40 or 62 for short.

It is also a Land Cruiser and not a Landcruiser, but I've never gone out of my way to correct someone. Not sure why it is an issue tbh.

I've had a number of people also tell me I have a nice Jeep, I just say thanks. (Even though the J in FJ stands for Jeep... :) )

Before the FJ Cruiser came out it was quite common (even on Mud) to call any of the FJ series Cruisers an FJ, and there was never any correction. Then the FJ Cruiser was annnounced and shortly thereafter the FJ Series Land Cruisers can't be FJ's anymore. Talk about letting the tail wag the dog.

I personally never called my fj40 or fj62 just an FJ, always reference the actual Cruiser I was referring to, or maybe 40 or 62 for short.

It is also a Land Cruiser and not a Landcruiser, but I've never gone out of my way to correct someone. Not sure why it is an issue tbh.

I've had a number of people also tell me I have a nice Jeep, I just say thanks. (Even though the J in FJ stands for Jeep... :) )
Yea, in real life I always call em fj60 or what ever, 40’s 80’s. Just for some reason I said FJ with no number. I may have been drinking. Idk.

Yea, in real life I always call em fj60 or what ever, 40’s 80’s. Just for some reason I said FJ with no number. I may have been drinking. Idk.
Don't worry, most will only hold it against you for 10-20 years.

Man you got everything you needed out of this. Great interior, good body, good glass, etc. All of the drivetrain is replacable. The stuff you got is the hard stuff to replace. LS that bitch and roll out!

Cool 60, that will be a fun project. I would keep the stock drive train if it were mine. 2F's aren't hard to source.

If you decide to swap out that dash, let me know. Way better shape than mine!

I was thinking about that. Just can’t decide yet.
I recently put in a H55 and I’m loving it but I have the 2F engine and not planning on a LS swap. Now I’m finding I need to change the differential gearing. Most of my driving is on hardball and not much trails

I recently put in a H55 and I’m loving it but I have the 2F engine and not planning on a LS swap. Now I’m finding I need to change the differential gearing. Most of my driving is on hardball and not much trails
One of the big reasons for me to do an LS is that I plan on trails/mountains with lots of gear and people weight. I can do a custom LS build and get good power and decent mpg. I don’t have a lot of faith in the 2f for power AND economy. Alternatively I could also do a diesel but I know less about that stuff. It would be a new world of research for me. Although I have time if I start restoring this turd. And there’s plenty of threads on this site.

Cool 60, that will be a fun project. I would keep the stock drive train if it were mine. 2F's aren't hard to source.

If you decide to swap out that dash, let me know. Way better shape than mine!
I really like the idea of get it going and use it while I plan a build and save for it. But it’s been tough, over 2 grand for something trustworthy shipped, and the last two local sub $1000 listings Iv found are scams. If I could pick one up for $800-$1000 running take out I’d be stoked.

Alright it looks like I’m doomed to be razzed for the title forever cause I can’t change it.
At the top of your thread on 1st page...there is a drop dwn box with "edit".

In other news...ill pay for your dash and give you my dash if ya ever want 😁

Screenshot_20211224-233646_Chrome.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom