isuzu 4BD1T swap?! (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm still in research mode for my diesel 80 swap and am considering Isuzu. I'm worried that the 4BD2T would be just enough power to get the beast moving but not enough to make me happy.

Anyone have any thoughts on the 4HEI (replaced the 4BD series)? I'd like a few more than 135 horse and around 300 ft lbs, so this motor seems better but I'm not sure about tranny options, etc.

Cheers

Anyone have any thoughts on the 4HEI (replaced the 4BD series)? I'd like a few more than 135 horse and around 300 ft lbs, so this motor seems better but I'm not sure about tranny options, etc.

Cheers

I'm also considering the 4HE1. It is rated @ 175 hp and 347 ft.-lb. torque. Most of them come with the Aisin AW450 tranny, and, as Sherpa on this board pointed out, they appear to be very similar to the A440.

The 4HE1 appears to have the following advantages over the 4BD1/2: more power and torque, newer engine technology, and gear-driven overhead cam. Both engines have gear-driven power steering pumps, are 12 volt, are quieter than the Cummins and are widely available. Both engines use the Bosch-type inline injection pumps

The disadvantages over the 4BD1/2 are: The 4HE1 is more expensive to buy and rebuild, exhaust manifold and turbo is on the right side, starter mounts on the left side from the rear which could result in some interference problem with the firewall or floor, and more engine control electronics, although I think it would run without the electronics.

The AW450 trany seems to be a variant of the LC's A440F. I've picked up a used AW450 and am working with Sherpa to indentify the similarities and differences. So far it looks hopeful that either the AW450 can be mated to a LC T-case by swapping out the AW450 tail shaft, or a A440F could be mated to the 4HE1 by using the bell housing and torque converter from the AW450.

The AW450 is entirely electronically-controlled so would require the wiring and ECU for it to work.

I'll post more about the AW450/A440 compatibility as I find out.

Marks4WD has an adapter to mount the 700R4 to the transfercase. I need to do some more home work but I am getting abit jazzed! I just might take this plunge?

Jim

I also am working on getting a 4bd1T into a fj62. advanced adaptors has the adaptor to connect the 700r4 to the LC TC.

I have not decided on the transmission yet, and have been waiting to get a LC housing. some of the other options you guys are looking at seem great too!

keep digging!

ASTR:

Awesome. I'm currently in research mode for my swap and am still considering the Isuzu option, although the 4HE1 is the only one I think I'll be happy with power-wise. Let me know if there is any way I can contribute to your research efforts. If you can figure out how to do an HE1 swap I will be eternally grateful.

At the moment I'm favoring a Chevy 6.5 swap for power and parts reasons, although a 1HD-t/FT is still an option.

Cheers.

Couple more thoughts:

A disadvantage ASTR cites is turbo/exhaust exit on passenger's side--this is an advantage for 80 series because that is the way the FZ-FE is set up. When I did my 13BT swap I had this issue, but running the exhaust down the passenger side was no big deal and a better solution than trying to cross under/over the frame.

I wonder if the HE1 works for the A440 if it will work for an A442.

4bd2tc more power

Browndog, you need to check out the guys at outerlimits4x4.com they are turning up the boost and fueling to get lots more power out of that little 3.9.

Dieseltim:)

Swett little thing!
Today at work I saw an NPR truck off loading some stuff. The guy was cool. He tilted the cab and we had a bit of a chat. He was amazed that I wanted to swap it into my cruiser. He shares it with three other drivers. None of them have had any problems. He carries medical equipment so it is not a real heavy load. He said the thing moves right along. It had the intercolled 2t. I saw a couple more for sale near my home so hopefully over the weekend I can run one about. I have never driven one or heard it run. The guy today got away before I could get back out to hear it run.

Jim

Dieseltim:

I figured you could probably get more power out of it, but the only reason I'm considering the Isuzu fours is fuel economy. I don't want to turn up fuel and boost in exchange for less economy.

There has to be a really strong reason for me to not go with a 1HD-T/FT with this swap.

Glad to find this thread. Working on 4bd2t swap into '93 toy 4x4 ex-cab p/u. Still trying to find part number for phantom oem adapter mating isuzu to chev trans. Should be no problem to then mate 700R4 to toy t-case. With the way fuel costs are rising and the loads (around 2.5K lbs.) pulled this setup will be an excellent combonation since a full size would be an overkill. Any help much appreciated.

adapters

I don't know if this will help any of you that are trying to adapt gm trannys to 4bd engines but I dug thru some of my old info and found a place that sells all kinds of adapters. They have several pages, so follow the links to see what else they have.

http://www.phxgrp.com/transmission.htm

Dieseltim:)

Dieseltim:

I figured you could probably get more power out of it, but the only reason I'm considering the Isuzu fours is fuel economy. I don't want to turn up fuel and boost in exchange for less economy.

There has to be a really strong reason for me to not go with a 1HD-T/FT with this swap.

Hey Browny, how bout CASH! That HDT/FT/FTE is going to cost you 10,000$.

A 4BT will cost you maybe 3,000$. The rest goes into the swap baby.....

Tom:

Cash is a really strong reason. I would go with the 4BT but just can't swallow the 4 inches of lift required. I even checked on the newest version of the 4BT (QSB 3.9) but it's even BIGGER! Based on the success the aussies have had with the Chevy 6.5, I'm still leaning in that direction unless I get a SMOKIN deal on a HD-T or the Isuzu 4HE1 works out.

Cheers.

4bd2t Bellhouse Pattern

Anyone know what the factory bellhouse pattern is on the back of the 4bd2t and 4bd1t blocks? Been told that it might be a SAE #3. Anyone know different?

we pulled apart the 4BD-1T last night to get ready to have the sleeves pulled. Bill (88tlc - who's engine it is) scored a PDF from someone on this site (thanks again who ever that was) and printed it off.. Says its been invaluable... Anyway, it says you need to remove the whole front cover to get the crank out... But we were luckily able to get it out, just barely, by removing the bearing caps and oil pan only..

anyway I'll post up pics and details of the rebuild as they come along. Bill is saying he can find rebuilds for about $2G in parts alone :eek: :eek: Expensive!!!

Dre...any chance in the rebuild of that 4BD you could pull the motor plate (what the bellhousing bolts to) off the back of the block and get a tracing of the bolt pattern? Looking to see if back of 4BD block bolt pattern is same/different from 4HE...in other words, can we swap motor plates. TIA...

Steve and Andy (ASTR)

adapters

I talked to this place today and they told me that if you guys will call them, that they can make us a bell housing/ adapter that will allow the use of the 4bd1t / 4bd2tc engines to be used with what ever tranny that we like. They DO NOT have one right now but if enough interest is shown then they would be willing to make them.

So, everyone call them at 877.602.1500 and tell them that the 4bd1t engine is the one that you would like to have an adapter for and maybe we can get our wish.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/

If not then you are going to have to wait for me to get something done , and that maybe some time b4 I can get something designed that can be made inexpensively or be made at home. I would love to be able to make an adapter up that you could all make yourself or get drawings made up that you could take to a machine shop and have it made locally. Until then I am looking for any info I can.

Dieseltim;)

Sure Steve no problem, we'll do that.. The Novak guys are local for us, I have a good friend who's got his shop across the street.. I will definitely call!

Pics

Ok, I am going to try to post some of my pics of my 4bd1t. I do have it running in the 2 pics of the sides.
Dieseltim;)
DCP_1429 - Copy.JPG
DCP_1414.jpg
DCP_1418.jpg

I talked to this place today and they told me that if you guys will call them, that they can make us a bell housing/ adapter that will allow the use of the 4bd1t / 4bd2tc engines to be used with what ever tranny that we like. They DO NOT have one right now but if enough interest is shown then they would be willing to make them.

So, everyone call them at 877.602.1500 and tell them that the 4bd1t engine is the one that you would like to have an adapter for and maybe we can get our wish.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/

If not then you are going to have to wait for me to get something done , and that maybe some time b4 I can get something designed that can be made inexpensively or be made at home. I would love to be able to make an adapter up that you could all make yourself or get drawings made up that you could take to a machine shop and have it made locally. Until then I am looking for any info I can.

Dieseltim;)

This is great if we can get them to make something. Do they need to know what we are adapting to? for example a 4bd1t to a A440F?

I will get you a life size tracing of the bolt pattern, of the flywheel housing that bolts to the engine. I had to take that off, to get the oil seal and crankshaft out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom