isuzu 4BD1T swap?! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Am I the only one who's noticed that the NPR auto transmission is an Aisin A450? I've seen pictures of them on eBay. The A440 and A450 both have a detachable bellhousing. Am I the only one who's wondered if the front side of the A440 and A450 might happen to have the same bolt pattern? If so, you *might* be able to use an NPR auto bellhousing on the front of an A440. Of course, you'd still have to deal with flex plate and torque converter issues, but it's a possibility...you'd probably have to have an A450 and an A440 next to each other to figure it out.

Steve

That would be great! I have both a A440 and an Isuzu automatic. Unfortunately, the Isuzu is under a pile of snow, however, I'll try to take a look. :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: to you if you are correct!

The 1988 Isuzu manual that I have is very vague on the model of automatic. The one in my back yard with the automatic is a 1994. I'll crawl under it this weekend and see if I can id the transmission.

....Also, according to George (orangefj45) it may have only been used in NPR's from '98 up, so you might not have one in your back yard...

I crawled under the 94 NPR and, sure enough, the transmission is a JR403E. The JR403E also has a seperate bellhousing but it looks a lot different than the A442F in my FJ62. I would doubt that the bellhousing portions would interchange.

I found a transmission cross listing which confirmed what George said that the Aisin 450-43L was introduced in 1999. In 1999, the 4HE1-TC engine was being installed in the Isuzu NPR and that engine, according to David of http://www.isuzudieselswapper.com/, has a totaly different back end so transmissions are not interchangeable with the 4BD1/2 engines.

Here are some photos of the JR403E case that happens to be listed on ebay:
6c45_1.JPG

6b7a_1.JPG

4bd1 swap

I bought a couple of these engines (one NA and the other turbo) to hopefully swap into cruisers....the kit a few months back to mate to a chevy automatic ran pretty steep (something like $800) so it is not cheap but probably the easiest route although I don't know what it takes for the chevy tran to transfer case???

I doubt I will be able to try to figure this out till after summer because of lack of $$$....these engines are real quiet which is great and they are sleeved and can run along time with great mileage.

Am I the only one who's noticed that the NPR auto transmission is an Aisin A450? I've seen pictures of them on eBay. The A440 and A450 both have a detachable bellhousing. Am I the only one who's wondered if the front side of the A440 and A450 might happen to have the same bolt pattern? If so, you *might* be able to use an NPR auto bellhousing on the front of an A440. Of course, you'd still have to deal with flex plate and torque converter issues, but it's a possibility...you'd probably have to have an A450 and an A440 next to each other to figure it out.

Steve

P.S. Google never ceases to amaze me. This quote: "AW450-43LE is a replacement for the JR403E
truck transmission and is similar to Toyota A442F." comes from this .pdf, which seems to indicate a lot of parts shared between the A450 and A440/442: http://www.shinseiauto.com/japanese/transtar/ata440f04.pdf

Also, according to George (orangefj45) it may have only been used in NPR's from '98 up, so you might not have one in your back yard...

From a press realease by Transtec, a supplier of automatic transmission rebuild parts:
Isuzu box trucks built mid-1998 and later are equipped with the new Aisin Warner / Toyota
450-43LE transmission. This replaces the Nissan JR403E previously used in this application.
The unit is a derivative of the A442F unit used in Landcruisers up to 1995.​

nice find there.....

I wonder what engine models from mid 1998 forward?? And if earlier models such as the 4bd1 or 4bd2 would mate??? I am unsure if 4bd2 was still producted at that time??

Do you know if the LC transmission shared will fit 40 series with the original axels as to the offsets??

thanks

Georg... you haven't posted in your thread in a few days...

Have you seen the light and renewed your original idea of a 12HT?:cool:

Mine is here and waiting to be uncrated...

Maybe if I had posted the pics I promised a while ago your slip to the 'other' side would have been averted:frown:

[hijack off]

Great tech guys.

Phil

bellhousings for landcruisers

great work on some great information! Looking promising.

I found these guys in Australia that may have some bellhousing options that can help.

http://www.rodshop.com.au/bellhousings.htm

they have a long list of possibles that I am checking on.

bill

Short of it not having OD and figuring out how to make a shifter work the stock zuzu 5 sp with a divorced TC would probably be a nice set up. ..and its already bolted to the block.
I just bought a 86 NPR with a slung rod for $500 but it has a new turbo and starter . Didnt think I did too bad. Came with the factory rebuild manuals also. Missed a deal on a running 93 the other day for $1200...:mad:

Short of it not having OD and figuring out how to make a shifter work the stock zuzu 5 sp with a divorced TC would probably be a nice set up. ..and its already bolted to the block.
I just bought a 86 NPR with a slung rod for $500 but it has a new turbo and starter . Didnt think I did too bad. Came with the factory rebuild manuals also. Missed a deal on a running 93 the other day for $1200...:mad:

I've also thought about a divorced TC but can't find anyone who can convert the LC TC to a divorced configuration. You could just use a divorced TC but most existing divorced TC's have a centered rear output shaft that would not be compatible with the offset LC dif. I suppose you could purchase the back half of Marlin's Toy box and mate it to the LC TC and get the "divorced" adapter from OTT so you can drive the Toy Box with a drive shaft. This approach is very convoluted and would require addition TC mounts as you could no longer depend on the engine mounts to absorb the torque load as in a married configuration.

I have a CAD drawing for a divorce plate, but haven't had the plate made yet. Once I get the plate made, we'll figure out seals and get an input shaft made. I'll try to remember to post up here (and in my own diesel conversion thread!) when that's done. It'll be a few weeks at least.

which T/c would you use with the divorced plate?

didn't AA use to use a plate years ago for Mini truck 4wd conversions?

Newbie here,

Please do a quick recap I am blueprinting (in my head)an Isuzu swap. I have just purchased a 92(A440F) Fj80 and a 3Fe that for obvious reasons will NOT be joining the LC in the future.

My thoughts are since I have herd the Izusu has the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the chev. I was going to get an adaptor, an adaptor I have herd was discontiued but not impossable to find.

P.S The answer has got to be out there some where, the government had to have slipped up some where letting the diesels imported to this country in.

You cannot tell me there is not a diesel some where that will fit in my Toyota,
PLEASE dont make me have to custom make an OLD 4.3 diesel with custom headers, intercooler and twin turbo's or Damn, a 6.5 heavy chevy.

SOME ONE in this forum must have access to CAD/CAM and a Flow jet.

I WOULD PAY DEARLY for this (bellhousing) I know how to buy parts and could probobly source an engine free, or heck just pay for it.

I H8 9 MPG !!!!!!!!

Last edited:
You cannot tell me there is not a diesel some where that will fit in my Toyota,

]
Your %100 correct .Toyota make 2-3 diesels and gearboxs that fit in there just like they were made too:D
They are quiet and powerful and enhance the resale $$

88tlc who posted above just got a 4BD1T that is at my shop now for an install sometime this summer or spring.. As it comes along we'll post lots of pics and I'm sure he'll have plenty to input. Here are a couple pics of it though. Definetely big IMO, but much shorter vertically than the 4BT hence the lack of need for lots of lift. Pretty neat, can't wait to install it..
SM_Picture 064.jpg
SM_Picture 065.jpg
SM_Picture 066.jpg

trans don't want to speak too much about what he is thinking/considering.. But options are:

NV4500
H55F
somehow reusing the factory 5 speed that came with it...

or 700R4
or the stock A440F in his FJ62...

Not sure what combo / adapters etc he will run. He got a good deal on the whole combo, engine and trans and it was factory Isuzu rebuilt and looks to be semi low mileage as far as I can tell...

Here is a pic of the trans from the cab over...
SM_Picture 070.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom