Issues on the 1FZ-FE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys I just bought this 1997 80 series about 5 days ago, ran mint passed a roadworthy and all that but now I’ve come across a few small issues, the worst one is this

The Car is On Petrol/Gas runs beautifully on gas and ran great on petrol for the first few days but now all of a sudden when I start it up, the car revs to about 2000rpm on idle in Park and neutral and sits at about 1100 idling in drive (only happens on petrol). I’m confused on this one and have no idea where to start for this.
I also found a small amount of power steering on the passenger side wheel hub, any ideas where it could possibly come from there? (Maybe steering rack?)
A tiny oil leak that occurs only when the engine is warmed up on the lower passenger side of the front of the engine, I don’t have a photo of that but what would be a common place to check or would it most likely be a gasket?

lastly on the passenger side of my drivers windscreen, every once in a while a drop of rain makes it’s way in and lands on the passengers lap, would that be as simple as replacing the window sill? Any help is appreciated. Cheers boys!

Right or Left hand drive? Not sure which side you are referring to when you say "passenger side"

car revs to about 2000rpm on idle in Park and neutral and sits at about 1100 idling in drive (only happens on petrol). I’m confused on this one and have no idea where to start for this.
A vacuum leak could cause this and or the MAF sensor connector.

Check your intake hose and check for a vacuum leak.

Make sure the MAF connector is fully seated, pop it off/ clean and reconnect.
would that be as simple as replacing the window sill? Any help is appreciated
Most likely not as simple as that. You most likely have a leaky sunroof seal, sunroof drains may be clogged, slits in the rocker panels aren't draining properly.

All those things have write ups here. HTH

Right or Left hand drive? Not sure which side you are referring to when you say "passenger side"

A vacuum leak could cause this and or the MAF sensor connector.

Check your intake hose and check for a vacuum leak.

Make sure the MAF connector is fully seated, pop it off/ clean and reconnect.

Most likely not as simple as that. You most likely have a leaky sunroof seal, sunroof drains may be clogged, slits in the rocker panels aren't draining properly.

All those things have write ups here. HTH
Right hand drive, sorry mate forgot to add that in, I’ll have a look snd report back to ya, it doesn’t have a sunroof, this is the front window I’m referring too

Right hand drive, sorry mate forgot to add that in, I’ll have a look snd report back to ya, it doesn’t have a sunroof, this is the front window I’m referring too
Ok cool, lucky you don't have one. It could be the windshield gasket or if you have any penetrations up there for a roof rack.

How is the condition of your door seals?

Ok cool, lucky you don't have one. It could be the windshield gasket or if you have any penetrations up there for a roof rack.

How is the condition of your door seals?
They seemed pretty good, big job for the windshield gasket or is that a simple pop out the old and pop in the new?

I’ll have to get photos later as I’m at work but I did notice 2 things, one is a vacuum line that goes into the intake (circled in red) that has a small black fitting with the nipple of it broken off (it has suction pressure), any idea to what that is for?

The area circled in blue has a connector down that area that has 2 cables going in and 2 cables going out down lower, I noticed one of the cables in that connector had broken away, I’ll grab a actual photo of this after work too but you wouldn’t happen to know what it’d be, if I remember correctly the cable was yellow with a black stripe

B670EB0A-11D5-4894-88ED-D44F3EB5FB64.jpeg

Are you leaking down here on the passenger side?

image.jpeg

My 1fz was leaking from the oil pump area, I replaced gasket, new Phillips head bolts as all stripped coming out. Also did front main/crank seal while it was apart, no oil leaks from engine now.

Also had a leaking rocker cover gasket, and the 2 bolts at the back of engine near the firewall were finger tight letting oil splash down the back of the head and bellhousing.

Are you leaking down here on the passenger side?

View attachment 2714765

My 1fz was leaking from the oil pump area, I replaced gasket, new Phillips head bolts as all stripped coming out. Also did front main/crank seal while it was apart, no oil leaks from engine now.

Also had a leaking rocker cover gasket, and the 2 bolts at the back of engine near the firewall were finger tight letting oil splash down the back of the head and bellhousing.
I forgot to check the spot it was coming from, but I managed to get this photo, wondering if you know what it’s for? She’s completely separated into 2

FCF13631-55F7-4457-89C1-F32B86543BF1.jpeg

B6EA4CDF-F1D3-40B5-B70C-F1FC09FD04DC.jpeg

I forgot to check the spot it was coming from, but I managed to get this photo, wondering if you know what it’s for? She’s completely separated into 2

View attachment 2718773

View attachment 2718774
And this, it seems like a damaged vacuum line that sucks in, I plan to do off-roading and imagine if water got there it would suck it straight into the intake, any idea of the name on that part or where it should be ran to? I covered the hole because it made the car idle a lot better so maybe it’s better off being plugged?

15BFD6B6-5851-4615-AFB6-397F815D28E2.png

Do you have a vacuum hose diagram on your hood?

The tubing routing looks a little goofed up unless it’s different from the US configuration. That gas filter is passing full manifold vacuum and should be connected to that metal tube in the foreground of your picture.
09D9883A-E2B3-40CE-A23B-E94C21515E75.png

the broken connector looks like the EGR VSV connector on US trucks. Thought AUS didn’t have EGR? But if you do I bet that’s what it’s for. Are you throwing any engine codes?

The check engine light isn’t on (unless the globe is blown which I’m planning leds to replace the dash) I was looking at other engine bay photos to see where it was meant to run but that vacuum line has been run elsewhere instead of the gas filter. I can grab a photo of it tomorrow and post if you’d like? Would either the gas filter or the egr connector (if it is a egr) cause a rougher idle, it idles at roughly 650rpm and feels like it has a slight misfire, but I don’t believe it s the plugs, leads or dizzy. Or could it cause my high idle in park and neutral, it doesn’t do it all the time but it’s definitely not normal

If that gas filter is leaking it could cause a rough idle or stumble. I don’t think the EGR VSV could cause those symptoms, but would have to read the manual carefully to be sure.

If that gas filter is leaking it could cause a rough idle or stumble. I don’t think the EGR VSV could cause those symptoms, but would have to read the manual carefully to be sure.
I replaced the filter with a barb as it’s impossible to find one in Australia and reran that hose to how yours is, starts with much more ease now. The hose that you spoke about being ran oddly is now disconnected, and has caused no difference to how it runs, it runs to a black cylinder kind of thing and creates no suction. If I can’t find a place it runs to or if nobody knows, I’ll leave it disconnected until some symptom shows up that may explain it

025FDA0F-7D00-4C40-9F50-CAAEC5B76BD5.jpeg

05FE0EAB-7F29-4B9D-88AA-B2F9A2D5669A.jpeg

Can you snap a pic of the vacuum hose routing diagram on the bottom of your hood?

The gas filter is a pretty simple one. It is connected to a hose, then to a pipe, to another hose, to the VSV, a hose, a pipe, a hose, and then to the Regulator. You can follow that circuit under your hood to verify that is hooked up properly. It sort of looks correct now but the pics don’t show all the angles.

that’s the general gist of it. Your PCV hose is blocking the view a bit to understand where the hose you unplugged is supposed to go to. But first identify the components under the hood and then you can follow the vacuum line routing between them.

I’m not sure if that black canister is your charcoal canister-it looks different than US charcoal canisters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom