Is this chapter still going? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We could do a trash cleanup as a club. We just got back from Wheeler. I'll write up the full trip report later today or tomorrow. We had two jeeps, two 80's, two icon 40's, and a taco. It was a beautiful day.
EAB1BBCF-936F-42B5-AB02-4652C304BA31.jpeg
F23822D3-EA4C-4E9B-A313-349E91AFE929.jpeg

We could do a trash cleanup as a club. We just got back from Wheeler. I'll write up the full trip report later today or tomorrow. We had two jeeps, two 80's, two icon 40's, and a taco. It was a beautiful day.View attachment 2285679View attachment 2285680

Nice! Wish I was there! I actually bottomed my suspension today. May be time for an upgrade...or at least new dampers. Still running stock at 281k :p

That looks awesome!

Very cool

See my Post #5 here Old Dash Plaques for some SNLC dash plaques from when we were in the club from '84 to '86. I have some club literature from a couple of Glitter Gulch Gambols that I could scan and post here. Back when we first joined the club the meetings were at the Shakey's Pizza way down on Boulder Highway. Later, the meetings were at the Sirloin Stockade on the corner of Decatur and Charleston. I was Vice President in '85 or '86. After we moved to New Mexico we stopped by a club meeting years later when the meetings were at the Toyota dealership on West Sahara.

i'm a former member of SNLC, I was last active in the late 90s. The old club plaques, I think I got mine from Rod Wiggins. The last club meeting I attended was at the Dennys, Sahara & I-15, no longer there. I'd be interested to learn what happened to the club and members. My FJ40 has been replaced by an FJ cruiser, and if the club is active or reconstituted, count me in, where and when to meet :) I miss the Polar Bear Runs!!

i'm a former member of SNLC, I was last active in the late 90s. The old club plaques, I think I got mine from Rod Wiggins. The last club meeting I attended was at the Dennys, Sahara & I-15, no longer there. I'd be interested to learn what happened to the club and members. My FJ40 has been replaced by an FJ cruiser, and if the club is active or reconstituted, count me in, where and when to meet :) I miss the Polar Bear Runs!!
Last Saturday I delivered my '84 FJ60 to its new owner in Fort Collins, CO. I trailered it from our place in Indian Springs, NW of Las Vegas. It's the Land Cruiser we owned when we first joined SNLC back in '84, purchased it new from Toyota West in March 1984. Our CB handle was "Cadillac". The new owner decided to carry on the tradition by naming it "Cadillac" :).

Last Saturday I delivered my '84 FJ60 to its new owner in Fort Collins, CO. I trailered it from our place in Indian Springs, NW of Las Vegas. It's the Land Cruiser we owned when we first joined SNLC back in '84, purchased it new from Toyota West in March 1984. Our CB handle was "Cadillac". The new owner decided to carry on the tradition by naming it "Cadillac" :).
Were you in the club in the 90s?

I’ve been out of the loop. Deployed for a few more months. Living in Land Cruiser heaven right now. Well, almost—we’ve stopped using the 80s and have moved onto 100 and 200-series for outside the wire work and 70-series for work on the compound. A few older Patrols, 4th gen 4Runners, and crappy Mahindras still roam the dirt roads here, but everyone swears by Land Cruisers and Prados for “real work”.

Here are some of the vehicles that I'm using...

I use this 70-series troopy as a 'tailgate medicine/casevac' vehicle. It's riding on skinny 7x50R16 Dunlop SP Sandgrip tires, a Toyota-branded (says Toyota Gibraltar Stockholdings, LTD) ARB front bumper with a Warn Tabor 10k winch, a pair of IPF XtremeSport foglights, a Toyota-branded snorkel, and a locally-sourced aluminum roof rack. Slower and less comfortable than an 80, but it's great for its intended use!

IMG_2054.JPG

One of our security detail's 200-series. Sorry, can't take more pics due to opsec. We usually ride on 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R or BF Goodrich Baja Champion AT KO2 tires, Rigid Industries LED fog lights, rock sliders, and an ARB roof rack (with spare on top). It's fairly stock--aside from special communications gear and a small arsenal of weapons--there are no aftermarket bumpers, winches, or snorkels. There are some suspension and bash plate upgrades, but they are considered mild when compared to trucks on these forums. When asked why these trucks aren't more heavily modified, the answers were usually "they're not needed". To me, that speaks volumes about these vehicles. I would love to get a used one back home!

IMG_2067.JPG

Here's a surprise...A Lexus GX470 riding on 265/65R17 Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires. Mechanically stock. We use her for trips to local embassies.

IMG_2069.JPG

Our 5th gen Nissan Patrol (Y61). Completely stock and it doesn't get much use as replacement parts availability is a problem. It rides on similar Dunlops as my 70-series Troopy.

IMG_2051.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom