Is this chapter still going? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Also, regarding the BLM issues with the Glitter Gulch Gambol, I'm thinking about reaching out to groups like the BlueRibbon Coalition for help with dealing with the BLM. Maybe if there are enough of us wheelers talking to the government, they might actually listen?

More background on the gambol: The blm guy that had historically issued our permit retired and the new guy didn’t know how to file the paperwork for our event. He defaulted to trying to issue us an “off road race permit” which was crazy expensive. We were making headway on getting the price corrected when the blm decided it was an “environmentally sensitive area.“. We had the option to move locations but by then it was getting too late to properly organize so we called it off. The frustrating part in all this was we were trying to do the right thing by filing paperwork. It’s blm land and anyone can use it (and they do). As part of our event preparation we would haul out trailers of trash that had accumulated during the year. So much for an environmentally sensitive area... I wonder what it looks like now.

More background on the gambol: The blm guy that had historically issued our permit retired and the new guy didn’t know how to file the paperwork for our event. He defaulted to trying to issue us an “off road race permit” which was crazy expensive. We were making headway on getting the price corrected when the blm decided it was an “environmentally sensitive area.“. We had the option to move locations but by then it was getting too late to properly organize so we called it off. The frustrating part in all this was we were trying to do the right thing by filing paperwork. It’s blm land and anyone can use it (and they do). As part of our event preparation we would haul out trailers of trash that had accumulated during the year. So much for an environmentally sensitive area... I wonder what it looks like now.

Thanks for the additional information. That gives me lots of ideas. I remember back in my boy scout days how we used to get special access or special permission/permits from various governmental organizations in exchange for our environmental projects. I wonder if all we need to do is take the BLM guy out for beers some time and work out a deal where we commit to doing cleanups in exchange for low/no fees for our event. It seems like time was a constraint. Now that we don't have the event, I think we could start working on the BLM now for a 2021 event in October.

Failing that, we can also start looking around for other areas to hold the event. I've never been to a TLCA event before (I'm a total newbie) so I don't know what people expect at these things nor do I know what makes them fun. I know what I like to do when wheeling--getting muddy, testing my rock sliders, getting into places I thought were "impossible", and then ending the day with a campfire, beer, and a steak. It seems to me that we can find quite a few places around here where all of that is possible. Death Valley, Mojave Road, and I've been meaning to do more exploring in Esmeralda and Mineral counties for cool trails.

I'm confident that we can bring the Gambol back. It might be in a different place and it might be a different format than before, but I'm confident we can have our own event. One thing I've been dying to do is a "lap around Charleston" where I leave from Summerlin early in the morning and head up the 95 and go over Wheeler and then pick my way over dirt tracks down the west side of the mountain until I can head up Lovell Summit Rd to the west end of Rocky Gap and then through Rocky Gap to Red Rock and then head to the cool bar in Blue Diamond for a beer before finishing the day going up over Cottonwood pass trail down into Goodsprings for a steak and beer and music at the Pioneer Saloon.

Found the article on LVRJ. here is a link:

After the Gambol was killed SNLC teamed up with the Vegas Valley Four Wheelers for their "hump and bump" event for a while then the club slowly dwindled.

The lap around Charleston...about how long will it take, and would a stock 80 make it?

How about a trip to the river
JP

The lap around Charleston...about how long will it take, and would a stock 80 make it?
A stock 80 would take rock damage in the garden in Rocky Gap. My LX has 33" tires and was fine. It would be just fine on the other trails.

A stock 80 would take rock damage in the garden in Rocky Gap. My LX has 33" tires and was fine. It would be just fine on the other trails.
Here’s my rig in the garden on 33” tires:
D8415BBD-F63E-4B3E-85B8-82AC86D723B3.jpeg

77A63F5A-9AD7-4276-97A1-1A315883661E.jpeg

0BF50E4B-D8CC-4ED2-81C5-F22F32FAAD73.jpeg

I'm running stock 275 R70s, so boo :p

I'm running stock 275 R70s, so boo :p
If you’re careful and have a spotter you’d probably be able to get away unscathed but it would be tricky.

There's several trails down to the river. The one trail just outside of Boulder was worst than your pics above ( Its been over ten years since I`ve been down there ). The rocks were`t as large maybe 1' to 2' diameter but many more but doable and comes out just below willow beach. Another route out of Nelson is Aztec wash ( I have not been on this trail ) looks like a good road but that's on google earth and comes out down stream of Nelson`s landing.
JP

Hi Folks,
I'll be up for meeting to discuss all things Land Cruiser. Here's a pic from 2017 running up wheeler, following some great SNLC folks in fj40s, and one by the river on the Arizona side
1587705786796.png

IMG-4933.JPG

Last edited:
It's a Friday again. Time for a club update. I just got off of the phone with @landcrusher909 (Rob) the western regional rep for TLCA. We worked out a plan to get the paperwork together to get the SNLC back as an actual club. It's going to take a few weeks to a month I think and I'll keep everybody updated as we go. Look for posts in this part of the forum titled "Club Update <date>" to get the latest.

We're all going on an informal/non-sanctioned run tomorrow up over Wheeler Pass (details).

We're going to need to pick a president, vice president, secretary and treasurer I think to make it all official. I hate formality and paperwork so it is my opinion that we keep it to a bare minimum and do most/all of our business either here in the forum or in the parking lot before a trail run or around the campfire after a trail run. I'm going to stick to this forum mostly for communications and try not to email much unless I absolutely need to.

I'm going to start another thread for ideas on trail runs and other meeting type events (e.g. maintenance lesson at somebody's place, build a fold out kitchen or drawers at the SYNShop, learn to weld at the SYNShop, etc). So look for that and start dropping you ideas. I'd like to have something at least once per month. One of my favorite runs is Cottonwood pass to eatc, drink and enjoy music at the Pioneer Saloon. So even if we don't have anything planned, we can always do that.

I look forward to meeting all of you soon. Cheers! :beer:

That's awesome news Dave! You have my vote for president as you really took charge of the club reboot, but I would consider other applicants to be fair. How many people got back to you that are interested in joining? I imagine we have more than 6 now?

Your doing a great job Dave :clap::clap: I agree with @Tachycardic you got my vote for president👍
JP

Thanks guys. We’ll definitely open it up to others. I just wanted to get it off of the ground. I’d be happy to keep going. We’ll have that discussion soon.

Just got back...did the Lava Butte Rd in Sunrise Mountains because Lake Mead was completely closed. It’s a nice little trail. Too bad there’s so much litter there :(

94C66F3B-6E03-4A42-B030-5A45342F7B3B.jpeg

CCE00CAB-8A5D-49B6-A70B-4D244A731C00.jpeg

Very nice. I think the park is going to open next week some time. At least park employees were told to show up to work on Monday.
JP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom