Is this chapter still going? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awesome SRYsandan! I work at the hospital as well--my office is in 1302, next to the main building and temp ED. Would like to link up some time for some cruiser talk!

Glad the mystery 40 has been solved 😂
JP

(I was one of the last five folks in the club. There was myself and my son (red 4Runner with a high lift jack on the roof) also at the hospital. The president moved to Utah and the other regular member had medical issues.)

I went to a meeting once it was in the late 80`s at a Denny's restaurant on Sahara by the palace station. Before internet times.
JP

The white 79 FJ40 with the bumper is mine and I work at hospital @ Nellis in facilities. The wife has been driving the cruiser since the lock down. I was one of the last five folks in the club. There was myself and my son (red 4Runner with a high lift jack on the roof) also at the hospital. The president moved to Utah and the other regular member had medical issues.

I'm glad we solved this mystery. I've seen a white 40 on Charleston heading into Costco. I assume that was you or maybe we have another mystery white 40 in town.

Thanks for joining the conversation. Did you get the email I sent out earlier to all of the past SNLC members I could track down? The response has been great. We have about a dozen people that have emailed me back and said they would love to see the club come back. I'll be emailing the western regional rep for TLCA tomorrow about getting the club reinstated.

I've learned most of what happened with the Glitter Gulch Gambol event and the fight with the BLM. I'm not sure that event is going to come back unless we can change the BLM's mind on fees or raise some money. I"m not holding my breath. In the mean time there's no reason why we can't start meeting up to do trail runs and other things once the world finished rebooting.

I'll keep everybody updated as the paperwork gets taken care of. I suppose we'll need a set of board members to be organized right but I don't anticipate there will be much work to it.

I haven't been able to track down who owns the snlc.org domain name. I followed all of the leads I was given and was unable to contact the previous webmaster/owner. That's hardly a deal breaker but it would have been nice to bring it back too. I'll be making some stickers soon so if we do a trail run as a club sometime soon, I'll have those for everybody. Thanks for the enthusiasm everybody.

I don't know about you but I really need to get out and get some mud on my truck,

Sounds great Vegas! I take it that Rob doesnt want to be the president anymore? Does he still want to join?

I'm still learning names but I think we're thinking of the same person. I did get an email from him and he said he wasn't sure he'd want to get involved with the club but would help me get it going again.

@vegas I sent you a PM with my e-mail
JP

Vegas.

My dad copied me on an email from you yesterday and I replied to both of you so you should have my email address. Count me in for the reboot. I’m unavailable weekdays for meetings but free on weekends for wheeling.

Someone speculator swooped in and bought the snlc.org site when the registration lapsed ten-ish years ago.

I don't know who has it but a search pops up a Face book page. I don't do face book but some of you others might.
JP

Vegas.

My dad copied me on an email from you yesterday and I replied to both of you so you should have my email address. Count me in for the reboot. I’m unavailable weekdays for meetings but free on weekends for wheeling.

Someone speculator swooped in and bought the snlc.org site when the registration lapsed ten-ish years ago.

Awesome, I'll add you guys to my list and forward the email from yesterday. I'm going to email the TLCA guy today to get the paperwork going to get us back in good standing.

I'm not very big on proper meetings. I was thinking that we could just try wheeling at least once per month and starting off with a quick official meeting at the rally point or ending our day at a BBQ/bar like Pioneer or the place in Blue Diamond or at an event like the Boulder City Beer Festival or something whenever we can.

The one exception though is that I'm a longtime member of the SYN Shop hacker space here in Vegas. I was going to propose having a club event there from time to time to do a project for our rigs. For instance, right now I have a buddy from the shop creating a CAD design for a DIY nomad kitchen that we can cut out on the CNC shop bot. I figure I could build that thing for around $200 instead of the $800 they are charging. Anyway, for those that are interested in learning to weld or machine parts or doing electronics work or building shelves/cabinets/etc for their rigs, we can organize club meetings at the SYN Shop. If anybody else wants to build a nomad kitchen, we could easily cut out a half dozen in an afternoon and assemble them.

The only caveat about SYN Shop meetings is that we can't wrench on our trucks directly because the industrial space for the SYN Shop have doesn't have an environmental permit for automotive fluids. But working on racks and drawers and bolting them in/on our rigs is totally fine. We could probably get away with doing electronics too. Just nothing with oil, grease, fluids, etc. I'll be welding on the frame rails for my BJ42 pretty soon, so it's obviously a fine line. Welding up cracks in skid plates that have been removed from your truck? Yes. Welding on gussets to an axle? Probably not unless it is completely disassembled with no diff fluid or grease present.

So other than shop meetings, I was thinking we'd just do business on the trail and over email when absolutely needed. I don't use any social media (ih8mud excluded), not even LinkedIn, so email, texting and forum threads on this site are my preferred ways to communicate. As we go along more I'll get everybody's feedback on how they want to stay in touch and work something out that works well for everybody.

I'm excited, thank you all for your enthusiasm. I'm looking forward to sitting around a campfire after a long day of wheeling with all of you soon.

Here's some more history from when I was active. SNLC used to meet at Dennies, then it was Chillies for a while, then they were meeting at IHOP. We used to do a yearly Christmas party at the lodge on Mt Charleston which was nice.

I've been in several other clubs and they all do things a little different. The club in West Australia had 100+ members and published a printed newsletter, they had their own building where they met. The bluegrass cruisers in Kentucky was smaller and we took turns meeting at different members garages depending on who had a project to work on (one guy had a 5 bay garage on his property, we met there alot because he had a lift). The Houston guys would met a couple times a year in a park for a BBQ.

Awesome, I'll add you guys to my list and forward the email from yesterday. I'm going to email the TLCA guy today to get the paperwork going to get us back in good standing.

I'm not very big on proper meetings. I was thinking that we could just try wheeling at least once per month and starting off with a quick official meeting at the rally point or ending our day at a BBQ/bar like Pioneer or the place in Blue Diamond or at an event like the Boulder City Beer Festival or something whenever we can.

The one exception though is that I'm a longtime member of the SYN Shop hacker space here in Vegas. I was going to propose having a club event there from time to time to do a project for our rigs. For instance, right now I have a buddy from the shop creating a CAD design for a DIY nomad kitchen that we can cut out on the CNC shop bot. I figure I could build that thing for around $200 instead of the $800 they are charging. Anyway, for those that are interested in learning to weld or machine parts or doing electronics work or building shelves/cabinets/etc for their rigs, we can organize club meetings at the SYN Shop. If anybody else wants to build a nomad kitchen, we could easily cut out a half dozen in an afternoon and assemble them.

The only caveat about SYN Shop meetings is that we can't wrench on our trucks directly because the industrial space for the SYN Shop have doesn't have an environmental permit for automotive fluids. But working on racks and drawers and bolting them in/on our rigs is totally fine. We could probably get away with doing electronics too. Just nothing with oil, grease, fluids, etc. I'll be welding on the frame rails for my BJ42 pretty soon, so it's obviously a fine line. Welding up cracks in skid plates that have been removed from your truck? Yes. Welding on gussets to an axle? Probably not unless it is completely disassembled with no diff fluid or grease present.

So other than shop meetings, I was thinking we'd just do business on the trail and over email when absolutely needed. I don't use any social media (ih8mud excluded), not even LinkedIn, so email, texting and forum threads on this site are my preferred ways to communicate. As we go along more I'll get everybody's feedback on how they want to stay in touch and work something out that works well for everybody.

I'm excited, thank you all for your enthusiasm. I'm looking forward to sitting around a campfire after a long day of wheeling with all of you soon.

That all sounds good to me. Communication thru Email and Mud is great as I don't do any social media either.
JP

SNLC.org is available but its a "premium" site now. $5k. . .

LOL, yeah right. Thankfully there are tons of options if we even want to put up a website.

Here's some more history from when I was active. SNLC used to meet at Dennies, then it was Chillies for a while, then they were meeting at IHOP. We used to do a yearly Christmas party at the lodge on Mt Charleston which was nice.

I've been in several other clubs and they all do things a little different. The club in West Australia had 100+ members and published a printed newsletter, they had their own building where they met. The bluegrass cruisers in Kentucky was smaller and we took turns meeting at different members garages depending on who had a project to work on (one guy had a 5 bay garage on his property, we met there alot because he had a lift). The Houston guys would met a couple times a year in a park for a BBQ.
I really like the idea of the christmas party at the lodge every year. Would be fun to have some contests/prizes to give away. Being able to meet somewhere to work on projects would be neat too but that might be hard to come by here in Vegas. That said, it's not out of the question. It would be cool to do some instructional type meetings where the more experience people show the newbies like myself how to do proper maintenance like replacing/repacking bearings and what not.

Any time anybody wants to come wrench, grind, weld, sand blast, whatever on my BJ42, you're welcome to come over and help. I have two 3B's on stands that need to be torn down, cleaned up, gone over, and reassembled into at least one good working motor. Same goes for the H55F. Right now I have just a few more rivets to drill out of the frame to separate all of the frame pieces so that I can sand blast and then repair the cracks and rotten steel before painting. Then it's bucking new rivets and getting it back on its wheels. I plan on going with link suspension using a kit.

As a joke, a buddy of mine suggested going with a nice stereo and leather seats and creating a vintage looking Lexus badge using similar letters as the TOYOTA grill badge and calling it an LX42d. He said it would fit in my garage considering I drive an LX450.
vintage_lexus.png

I think I'm going to do it. I've already decided I'm going with the Lexus nebula gray pearl paint with a black roof like this (minus the hood black):
paint_color.jpeg

Last edited:
Also, regarding the BLM issues with the Glitter Gulch Gambol, I'm thinking about reaching out to groups like the BlueRibbon Coalition for help with dealing with the BLM. Maybe if there are enough of us wheelers talking to the government, they might actually listen?

I put seats from a 10 ES350 all power in my 40

I would be very interested in a DIY Nomad. The SYN Shop sounds really awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom