Is the transmission a known issue on 2000 LX 470? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
I'm looking at buying a 2000 LX 470 here in Chicagoland. The one I've got my eye on has 130k original miles and the owner says he had to replace the transmission about 2k miles ago, so at about 128k or so.

What's up with the 2000-2001 transmission? If everything else checks out, would that new tranny be a reason not to spend 12-13k on the vehicle? Is the transmission something that should be done with OEM parts, or doesn't it matter? I really want to get the pricing right if I make an offer on this one. It looks really well maintained other than the transmission.

The '00 is known for transmission issues. Very likely overblown though. I have a '98 and they are "notorious" for their front differentials shattering on anything more than pavement (I jest, but people seriously think they break all the time). I think most things can be overblown. If the replacement transmission is a quality one and installed correctly, I'd be fine with it.

A new tranny should be a very good thing I would think.and I agree that the 2000 tranny issue is WAY overblown

I wouldn't characterize premature transmission failure as a "known issue" in the sense that it happens in extraordinary numbers. It IS an anomaly that seems to have affected a certain number of vehicles over a limited production time. And even then does NOT present itself in every vehicle.

In your case...the fact that the transmission has been repaired/rebuilt is a plus. I would not be concerned about the use or non-use of OEM parts. Any reputable transmission shop will use parts of good quality. The last thing they want is a 'come-back'. It's a LOT of work to pull and re-install a transmission or transfer-case.

Last edited:
Thanks, friends!

The '00 is known for transmission issues. Very likely overblown though. I have a '98 and they are "notorious" for their front differentials shattering on anything more than pavement (I jest, but people seriously think they break all the time). I think most things can be overblown. If the replacement transmission is a quality one and installed correctly, I'd be fine with it.

I wouldn't characterize premature transmission failure as a "known issue" in the sense that happens in extraordinary numbers. It IS an anomaly that seems to have affected a certain number of vehicles over a limited production time. And even then does NOT present itself in every vehicle.

In your case...the fact that the transmission has been repaired/rebuilt is a plus. I would not be concerned about the use or non-use of OEM parts. Any reputable transmission shop will use parts of good quality. The last thing they want is a 'come-back'. Its a LOT of work to pull and re-install a transmission or transfer-case.

I'm going to see this vehicle in person this afternoon and get some more information with my Slee 100-series buyer's guide in hand.

In the micro-cosm of Mud, every 80 has a bad head gasket, every MY 2000 100 has a bad tranny, etc. That said, of reported transmission failures here, the majority are '00 trucks. But, there's thousands of '00 trucks not on Mud that are just fine.

If it's been repaired then you know it won't be a potential issue in the future.

I had a 2000 and the transmission never went while I owned it. That bing said, there are enough trucks out there that I would not now buy a 2000 with the original transmission in it unless I got a great deal. Why take the chance?

If the trans operates well and was rebuilt by a reputable, local, high quality shop then I would not have any concerns about it.

I'd be more worried about rust - Chicago seems pretty hard on these as far as corrosion from brine and salt goes.

Is this one you are looking at kind of a Bronze color by any chance?

IIRC, the 2000 MY trans problem was a faulty thrust bearing from a bad batch that came from an OEM supplier. Any new/replaced transmissions should have the updated part. It's also worth it to check the actual build date on the door jamb sticker. Mine is a MY 2000 but the build date is in '99, outside of the affected dates.

If the trans operates well and was rebuilt by a reputable, local, high quality shop then I would not have any concerns about it.

I'd be more worried about rust - Chicago seems pretty hard on these as far as corrosion from brine and salt goes.

Is this one you are looking at kind of a Bronze color by any chance?

It is indeed—Smoky Topaz Mica. The one with the oxidation problems.

2000 LX with 321k miles. No tranny fluid changes. No problems.

Btw, I think $12-13k for a low mileage 2000 LX is not the best deal in the world. The low mileage factor is deceptivley deceiving.

I spoke to the owner about this one then a few months ago. I have not seen it personally, but the pictures look pretty good.
I'd recommend getting it in the air and looking very closely for the usual rust trouble spots. IIRC there was some rust just starting to come through on the rear tailgate so I passed on it when I found a rust free LX in New Mexico. It's been for sale for quite awhile, which may or may not mean anything...just do your due diligence with a proper inspection. This unit was also repainted by the Lexus dealer, which I'm guessing was due to the clear coat peeling which was a common problem.

It is indeed—Smoky Topaz Mica. The one with the oxidation problems.

The paint subject (Smoky Topaz Mica paint code 1C2) IS in fact a known issue. The paint pigment (not the clear-coat) of many had/have serious fading problems. My vehicle is also STM and has history of panel repainting before I owned it. In fact... in the first two years the original owner had it.

My 2000 Lx has 240K on the original transmission. I not even sure when the fluid was last changed!

Mine only has 206,000 miles going strong too

D069A213-E760-4024-BA9B-8130AFF1B151.png
EBC8D096-FCDE-4DFA-B856-9438DB8BC0CF.png

Link to site: Dashboard Light - Automotive Reliability

Looks like a spike in 2004 and 2008

Mine only has 206,000 miles going strong too

The A343F trans in my LX470 has 208K on it...still working perfectly. The same transmission in my 80 series just turned 300K still going strong.

Thanks everyone. This is some super great information. Unfortunately the rig I saw yesterday had a lot of flaking rust all throughout the underside. It'll run smoothly for many more years, but for me, I'm holding out for a bone dry unicorn. Which means I'll probably be flying to pick one up. Chicago is no place to raise a hundy ;)

2000 LX with 321k miles. No tranny fluid changes. No problems.

Btw, I think $12-13k for a low mileage 2000 LX is not the best deal in the world. The low mileage factor is deceptivley deceiving.

It's a great deal for a rust free southern truck, not for a Chicago rust mule. But they continue to appreciate. (Sorry, ran across this thread looking for a different one and couldn't resist replying to that comment).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom