Is olive oil and cotton balls a good fire starter? vs pine needles? (1 Viewer)

We end up in places where a "barbq or stove" is ok but not a "fire" .. so we bring our solo bonfire stove.

I also bring some split cut hard wood so we're not looking for wood first night out.

Usually I bring a box of dried pine needles as they pack in a cardboard box light and burn hot.

Do cotton balls and olive oil burn as hot to start a fire? I pack olive oil for cooking.

Looking for some cheep light weight fire starters for when the area is wet and the area is a little wet.

test it at home.
my go to is pine pitch, spruce pitch. all readily available from wounds or broken branch stubs. any time i'm out in the woods i'll collect some. smear it on a few of your thinner pieces of your kindling n fire it up. you should be able get a fire going in a deluge. being a carpenter, alot of my waste turns into tinder n kindling, so may be talk to any carpenter, cabinet maker you may know to get some of their waste. i find 1/4" or thinner just plain works

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
seems like cotton balls / lint and vaseline / petroleum jelly is quite popular as a fire starter.

Another recommendation for cotton balls smeared in Vaseline. They burn for quite a while. While this might not be necessary for car camping, I stuffed three soaked cotton balls into a section of drinking straw. It fits nicely in my Altoids survival tin. If saving space isn't an issue, a sanwich bag would work fine.

Compressed paper egg carton, lint, wax.

Stuff egg crevasses w lint, seal w melted wax. Tear out sections as needed.

This is the correct answer. Dryer lint burns quick and easy but the wax slows it down. 1 waxed-dryer lint "egg" will burn for a good 15 minutes or so depending on the amount of wax used.

little_joe

SILVER Star
I cook over lump charcoal at home several days a week and always use a paper towel soaked with some regular cooking oil to start the fire. Also do this for camp fires and fire pit. Rather than buy/stock up on other stuff, using what's readily available WORKSFORME.

hotdiggitydamn

SILVER Star
I usually use some shavings from a few pieces of fat wood. Super flammable, lights easy, burns hot, and no mess. Otherwise cotton balls soaked in vasoline as they are compact and multi purpose. Both take sparks easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom