INTERIOR SWAP making the gray go away (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello! I've been rapid fire collecting brown interior parts the last couple weeks. While I've been on the mend from a hernia surgery a couple Mondays ago (aug 21).

My Doctor gave me the go ahead to get up to some mischief today. As long as there is no heavy stuff involved.

SO, I tore apart Yarn-ball's interior in preparation for carpet install, door panel replacement, upholstery install, steering wheel replacement etc

these pics are sort of the before. The wood panels that I made for all the wall, seat, back door panels aren't going back in. If someone wants them they can grab them in Pasadena until I'm tired of seeing them. They aren't great just bodged up to make the back look better than the mess it was when I gifted the truck to my Wife.

The turf I will keep. I've made a habit of putting it in the back of my pickups and wagons over the years, I find it really useful.

IMG_4863.jpg

IMG_4868.jpg

IMG_4866.jpg

IMG_4876.jpg

IMG_4887.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't get very far today. but tomorrow I think I'll have the entire day to devote to it.
pieces that came out -

all seats
seatbelts
cargo area paneling
cargo "carpet"
rear seat carpet
center console
Wheel hump vinyls

then I vacuumed for what felt like 2 hours. Cleaned up the floor heater and tested it's operation. I think it needs fresh hoses which I'll assess tomorrow .

finally I laid the cargo and rear floor carpet in to feel like I accomplished something. It's just resting in there. There is a lot of floor cleanup, sound deadener, rust treatment to be done before it's actually installed.

the spare tire mount the previous ( maybe 2 ago) owner made didn't work for me. It will be cut off and the rust that has formed from the welding and spatter will be treated.

I'll also be giving the seatback a thorough scuffing and painting. With either por15 or a rustoleum type of product.

This area leads me to a question:

Is there meant to be a steel plate that covers the gap between the seat-back and the cargo floor when the seat is folded forward?
I notice nothing protects the seat belt reels or the small air space between the seat and floor in this truck.

IMG_4869.jpg

IMG_4870.jpg

IMG_4897.jpg

Last edited:
@GRpufnstuf I'm really partial to the early brown interior, too. The gray isn't bad but I don't think I'd daily drive anything but the brown ... but I'm weird like that.

The astroturf is a nice touch. Love it.

I’ve thought about doing this too. Lots of work involved. But, I love the brown more than the grey.

I’ve thought about doing this too. Lots of work involved. But, I love the brown more than the grey.
I have a decent brown rear seat … just sayin’.

Haha. I ripped out the brown from my ‘84 and swapped in the grey from an ‘87. I think the brown looks good on some trucks, but a red truck needs a grey interior. My opinion only.
Agreed!

I have a decent brown rear seat … just sayin’.
I deleted my rear seat all together. Once I’m driving it again I will be welding up a new sleeping platform/storage solution. I plan to put a fridge where the rear seat goes and have the platform extend over the fridge with an access door.

This is what made me start thinking of swapping colors. Everything is coming out for the new platform anyhow. And I have some rust mitigation inside to do.

OK then,

A lot of stuff happened last week Some of it was Yarn-ball related -

I bought and installed the FJ60 Radio Bracket from TORfab and it's great. installed fairly easily by pulling the switch bezel, cubby, ashtray stuff and an hvac tube from behind glovebox. It is rock solid, I have to imagine the studs on the dash cap will fail before this bracket does.

Carpet kit from @dnp installed and I find myself very happy with the result -

Seat cover kit from @MSP1989 installed and I find myself MOSTLY happy with the result -

Still working on door guts with new regulators , new speakers (with spacer speaker rings from @TheNeek) up front. Dynamat all around and new vapor barrier for all 4 as well.
Then I'll install my, new to me, brown door panels (cleaning them up now) compliments of @SAH

Steering wheel is in. column plastics are painted and in BUT I need to find a different shade of brown for them. I used a rustoleum product but I think the SEM Cordovan Brown is the better match for our interiors.

Debating the best dash pad move. I think a brown plastic cover and painting the lower would be easiest while using the truck. But I'm tempted to pull the cover and attempt a crack repair and refinish either with vinyl of fiber glass.

Pictures coming soon...

IMG_4968.jpeg

IMG_4969.jpeg

IMG_4970.jpeg

IMG_4965.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks great. The blue/brown combo is so classic

Yeah, now I really do want to swap my interior over to brown. Looks fantastic! Makes me wonder why they offered grey in the first place.

I vote for a fiberglass repair on the dash. You’re gonna repaint the steering column parts. Might as well have it all matching colors.

Grey was the 'modern' choice to refresh the 60 and then 62 at the latter half of the 80s, to contrast from all the natural and earth tones of the 70s.

Quick update -

Interior has been "Nearly done" for a few weeks. I keep a list in my phone's notes app. It grows more than it shrinks as I add details I want to tweak.

Need to figure out why interior dome light isn't working
run wiring for central locking kit
align new front window regulators
install window felt/rubbers
uninstall old owners dead wiring for winch, fogs, random stereo stuff
and much much more

I started a seperate thread for tailgate storage build - Tailgate storage fab - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/tailgate-storage-fab.1323819/#post-15186158

Technically interior but I thought it should be a seperate thread.

I also installed a new Ebay windshield wiper linkage and CityRacerLLC 4Runner wiper arm kit (not interior at all)

I did the math on buying all the bits separately on ToyotaPartsDeal or ebay and the City Racer pricing is good when you figure shipping and all. Especially if you are going to buy 2 driver side 4Runner arms.

I had the new rubber pivot covers and plastic wiper base covers already.

1697509382148.png

They function SO smoothly I love it. Makes me wish for rain but it's been 90 degrees here and I can't even tell it's Autumn.

Next up is a wiper relay mod I found online that wires in a rheostat/potentiometer for adjustable intermittent use.

-----------

I changed the STereo head unit that we were running. It was an inexpensive Pioneer SPH-10BT that had Bluetooth and a clamp for phone mount where faceplate would normally be. It's a neat idea and I thought it worked ok but wasn't thrilled with the app (not mandatory) and getting the phone in the clamp wasn't an easy operation.

1697510770269.png

So I opted for a Jensen CAR910W with Apple CarPlay and backup camera.
I haven't owned a modern enough car to experience CarPlay or Android Auto regularly but I've really enjoyed it in rental cars over the past couple years.

I love this touchscreen.

1697510080148.png

It slides up and down, tilts,and rotates. picture is the highest upward option and pivoted toward driver.
I wasn't a fan of Jensen products before now, but I am very impressed with this one.

--------------

Next up (tomorrow) -
install new window felted rubber on my 2 front doors
Install central locking solenoids in all 4 doors

details to follow

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom