Interior Storage: How to get away without drilling panels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm a new owner of an 04 GX470, and the previous owner kept it immaculate. It's easily the nicest vehicle I've owned. It was a road queen for it's whole life, but I'll be using it as it was intended, and taking it into national forests, camping, and long roadtrips to places like Yellowstone and Death Valley. To that end, I need to engineer some much better interior storage and load tie downs. My dilemma is that I really don't want to drill through any interior trim panels to mount things like Molle panels on the back hatch, or L-track in the load area.

Do you have any ingenious methods of securely mounting stuff, and modifying the interior without leaving obvious marks?

Check out this thread, Best Mod for under $100

I went with netting because I think a hard shelf is a bad idea in an accident. My setup doesn't intrude into the middle row space or grab handles.

Several companies sell molle compatible panels for the rear windows that don't require drilling.
ragofabrication: GX 470 Modular Storage Panel System - POWDER COATED
orangeboxx fabrication: 02-09 GX 470 | orangeboxx

Also consider a roof rack. lots of options there that either reuse or replace your OEM factory rails with no additional drilling. Checkout lexusgxor.com
Thanks for the Link! I saw one of the window storage panels on a 4 Runner but couldn't find it via google,

Check out this thread, Best Mod for under $100

I went with netting because I think a hard shelf is a bad idea in an accident. My setup doesn't intrude into the middle row space or grab handles.
I bought one of the surplus nets and went from grab handle to grab handle and it works. It does limit your view out of the rear view mirror. I can see close vehicles out of the rear view but not the Highway Patrol back 50 plus yards LOL. I'll probably use it to tie down stuff on the rear deck instead.

I'm a new owner of an 04 GX470, and the previous owner kept it immaculate. It's easily the nicest vehicle I've owned. It was a road queen for it's whole life, but I'll be using it as it was intended, and taking it into national forests, camping, and long roadtrips to places like Yellowstone and Death Valley. To that end, I need to engineer some much better interior storage and load tie downs. My dilemma is that I really don't want to drill through any interior trim panels to mount things like Molle panels on the back hatch, or L-track in the load area.

Do you have any ingenious methods of securely mounting stuff, and modifying the interior without leaving obvious marks?

I built this for under $100.00. Just ply wood, carpet from Lowes, and flush tie downs from ebay. The 10 gallon tube and mini tubs I found at Walmart.

I have a complete emergency kit with food, clothes, water purification, hatchet, GI shovel, snow shovel, jack platform extension, ammo, and tons of other stuff in the tubs. There is lots of tie down capability on top including 2.5 gallons of water.

IMG_0621.JPG

IMG_0622.JPG

IMG_0624.JPG

IMG_0625.JPG

Some great ideas in here. I’m definitely going to do the netting thing. And I really like that platform/tub system. I may do that and put Ltrack on top.

Raingler attic net and cargo barrier.
Orangebox side panels
Dobinsons drawers

No cutting or drilling* for any of them. So many options for organizing.

Good luck.

* edit - for the cargo barrier between the rear and second row I pulled off the "C" pillar trim and used self tapping screws to secure the D-rings for the net. With the trim back in place you cannot see this though ; )

0AC7C97F-7130-41CA-B650-37583F8520FC.jpeg

Last edited:
I bought one of the surplus nets and went from grab handle to grab handle and it works. It does limit your view out of the rear view mirror. I can see close vehicles out of the rear view but not the Highway Patrol back 50 plus yards LOL. I'll probably use it to tie down stuff on the rear deck instead.

Did you try pulling the straps extremely tight? I have the same net, at first I could see it in my rearview then I yanked the straps pretty good and now I honestly forget its there bc I never see it anymore. Also Id recommend getting the heavy duty extra large zip ties for the excess rope that is attached to the grab handles. I snipped the other straps that were hanging down.

Orangebox side panels
Dobinsons drawers

No cutting or drilling for any of them. So many options for organizing.

Good luck.

View attachment 1927109
Wow....nice. I was already looking at the Dobinsons drawer system but I could really use those panels. I carry a lot of trail clearing gear. Axe, saws, shovels, picks and all of that is still currently in my Jeep and highly unorganized. In fact its all in a big pile back there and I have to dig around looking for the tool I need constantly.

Last edited:
Orangebox side panels
Dobinsons drawers

No cutting or drilling for any of them. So many options for organizing.

Good luck.

View attachment 1927109

Which Dobinsons Drawers are those?
It looks like recommended is DW59-028K 36”x40”x10”
Are yours with "wings" or without?
Would order a different size if you were going to do it over again?

I put a Trasharoo on my interior mounted spare. Not very well organized but can fit a lot of stuff in there.

6381A15C-2818-4B4D-A976-3AB1118E1ED1.jpeg

I built this for under $100.00. Just ply wood, carpet from Lowes, and flush tie downs from ebay. The 10 gallon tube and mini tubs I found at Walmart.

@Tahoe450, is this anchored down anywhere?

Actually no. In my 80 I had anchored it to the OE tie downs. This was easy because the 80 was larger and the tie downs were to the outside of the tub compartments. As you can see from the picture above the OE tie downs on the GX are on the inside of the tub area and if anchored the tubs would not slide in. However, the platform is so tight (needs to be made in two sections to fit in) that it really doesn't go anywhere as the rear seat slants back and would hold it in place. Even on big bumps it doesn't seem to lift. Possibly in a roll over it could come up but I don't think it could easily come forward of the cargo area...but I suppose it could. It would be easy to drill a floor anchor to the outside. I just haven't done it. Now that you reminded me that it isn't anchored I will see if some anchoring might be possible with the rear jump seat mechanism even if just a safety strap of some sort.

In the 80 I just used the hook bolts that thread in different directions and tighten with the long nut in the middle (not sure of the actual name of the fastener) to hook from the wood to the OE tie downs. .

BTW: the height of this works well with the second row seats folded down to make a sleeping platform. I just have a padded piece of 3/4" ply wood with a thick foam pad on top of it. I padded the plywood so as not to scratch up the seat backs.

Last edited:
@TahoeLX450, i had a '96 LC and just ran a ratchet strap across the box, secured to the seat tie down rods. Seemed to work ok. There's a guy on GXOR FB page that has hooks or clamps on either end that work with the seat tie down bars, but his set up is metal.

How do you mount the orangeboxx molle panels without drilling at the bottom where the spacers are?

they mount at the top with a bracket that slips between the roof and grab handle. the angle of the bracket puts tension on the bottom of the panel, which presses the spacers into the plastic quarter panel. you could mount them through the plastic if you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom