Intercooler kit for SC- gauging interest (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm wrapping up components for my top-mount air-to-air intercooler, and am wondering if it would be worth doing a limited production run of them. The design is based on blarsen's IC, but DOES NOT require cutting up any factory components (other than your hood of course ;)).

The kit would consist of only two components- the custom IC (engineered for a 4.5l 300hp engine), and a custom part that would replace the long cone that is attached to the upper plenum with a small machined aluminum flange. Otherwise, you would have to source your hose (two small sections totalling <6"), clamps, hood scoop and gasketing between hood and IC.

Right now the price would be $700 (my one off price). Hopefully, if enough folks are interested, that price could drop.

Lemme know your thoughts.
:cheers:
Nick

I'm wrapping up components for my top-mount air-to-air intercooler, and am wondering if it would be worth doing a limited production run of them. The design is based on blarsen's IC, but DOES NOT require cutting up any factory components (other than your hood of course ;)).

The kit would consist of only two components- the custom IC (engineered for a 4.5l 300hp engine), and a custom part that would replace the long cone that is attached to the upper plenum with a small machined aluminum flange. Otherwise, you would have to source your hose (two small sections totalling <6"), clamps, hood scoop and gasketing between hood and IC.

Right now the price would be $700 (my one off price). Hopefully, if enough folks are interested, that price could drop.

Lemme know your thoughts.
Nick
Interested and subscribed. John

Interested:bounce::clap:

Interested but the price would probably have to be below $500 before I could afford to jump in.

Where can I see more pics or info on power increases with this set-up.

Love your trailer build thread by the way, ...someday...

Thanks, Dan.

IC on my to do list. I think Landtank was working on an air to water kit but I haven't seen any progress on it and I persoanlly would prefer the cheaper and simple air to air option even if it didn't have as good of performance.

I'd probably only be interested if it went below $500, too. Not saying it wouldn't cost more than that to build it, just what it's worth at present $ situation.

Thanks for the thread. I really want to do this someday.

I'm interested!

IMO a trim ring for the bottom of the hood (under the WRX scoop) would be optimal for a flush mating surface for IC seal & provide some added support after cutting out the hood crossmembers.

Steve - BLarsen used a Subaru WRX hood scoop.

Last edited:
I'm using the larger STI scoop. I've already got it painted to match and ready to go in my shop. I'm working on a 3D mock up of the IC. If all goes well, I will order the prototype and spec the new flange.

Right now the price would be $700

You might have better luck if you sourced it as an 'entire kit'. Include the hose, clamps, unpainted (primed?) scoop and the gasket then adjusted the price accordingly.

Where in the hood structure is this going to sit? Does installation require cutting the hood ribs? If you're going to custom fabricate the heat exchanger - maybe mount it somewhere in the hood -between- the ribs so that the hood doesn't loose structural integrity? Yes - it would be off center and likely a weird shape - but it is something to consider.

Interested and subscribed!!!

I'm using the larger STI scoop. I've already got it painted to match and ready to go in my shop. I'm working on a 3D mock up of the IC. If all goes well, I will order the prototype and spec the new flange.

The WRX and WRX STi hood scoops share the same footprint. It's just the STi scoop is taller and has a more aggressive shape.

@ Grench - Blarsen cut his cross member to install his. Otherwise, it would restrict airflow through the scoop into the IC.

Here is a link to Blarsen's original build thread.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/149478-intercooler-trd-supercharger.html
In post #1 you see the WRX scoop.

While in this thread, In post # 19 you can see more shots of the WRX Scoop on his LX450
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/176021-hood-scoops.html

Last edited:
You might have better luck if you sourced it as an 'entire kit'. Include the hose, clamps, unpainted (primed?) scoop and the gasket then adjusted the price accordingly.

Where in the hood structure is this going to sit? Does installation require cutting the hood ribs? If you're going to custom fabricate the heat exchanger - maybe mount it somewhere in the hood -between- the ribs so that the hood doesn't loose structural integrity? Yes - it would be off center and likely a weird shape - but it is something to consider.

I understand that some folks might like a complete kit, but I'm just trying to make a bolt on IC for myself, and possibly offer it to mudders. I won't keep stock of anything if I do, as these components are expensive to me, and really there is such a tiny market, that it's not worth it (to me at least). The scoops I'd have to buy off ebay or source elsewhere, everybody has their own preference on hoses and clamps as well (search silicone hose or clamp). However, the kit would contain the two essential parts, everything else is personal preference and easily sourced via a quick google search. BTW, there are very few things needed, and one could reuse their existing hose & clamps.

There has been discussion before about cutting into the hood supports (see every vent and scoop thread ever discussed on Mud). Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. However, having cut up a couple of these hoods, including my own, I don't share the concern. The reason I am thinking of doing this kit is simplicity- out of the SC into the IC and into the intake. I don't want hoses routed all over the place, otherwise, I would have considered putting the IC on my roof rack :D!

I always love to see the creativity people put into their projects. This project for me has two goals- functionality and simplicity. No moving parts, no pumps, no extraneous gaskets and hose to rely on, just simply straight forward cooling.

IC on my to do list. I think Landtank was working on an air to water kit but I haven't seen any progress on it and I persoanlly would prefer the cheaper and simple air to air option even if it didn't have as good of performance.

Without speaking for Rick, I know the kit is in progress & I was the "weak link" as he's been/was waiting patiently on me for a part - but it's in the works, will be simple to install & AFAIK there's NO NEED AT ALL to go cutting your hood, or putting on an airscoop - for those of us who prefer the understated look from a performance standpoint.

(Yeah, as much as a 80- series with armor, big tires & lift & whatever else we all have is "understated")

I plan to do a louvered section just over the exhaust manifold & just on that side, but I'm not one for scoops, so if you're a non-scoop mentality person, waiting for Rick's offering might just be a good idea. Just a thought.

Been thinking about an IC and am looking forward to seeing offerings from both camps. Simplicity is good, a basic kit works for me as I can source the other parts easily. Thanks for getting the basics together !:beer:

Atoyot1031 - I'm definetly interested in what you are doing especially since this has been on my "to do" list & I already have the WRX scoop (Thanks BenMara).

What is you timeline for completing the IC and TB attachment?

I have attached pictures of Blarsens set up and an under hood shot of the hood ribs from my 80 for those not familiar. It is pretty hard to tell exactly how much Blarsen cut out of his hood from the 2nd pic though.
inter1.JPG
inter3.JPG
IMG00124-20100414-2318.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom