Intake identification. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked up a new fj55 that I posted in the 55’ section. Anyone know what intake this is? Thanks!
F309FE07-D2C9-49F8-A2D6-0BC3AAC48DB7.jpeg

The fj55 is a 73’ with a later 1.5/2f, but it looks like they put the earlier engine parts back on. I couldn’t find any markings on the intake, so I thought I’d ask. I’ll tear into it and get some better pics. Thanks!

Okay… I checked the faq that was linked and it doesn’t appear to match the wide runner intake. Also, if you look close under the carb spacer you can see some clean machine work. Like they port matched the intake to the carb. No markings found either, but I cannot see the underside very well.
BA943392-3AFC-4DCB-8AAE-DF5B2974873B.jpeg

Not a Clifford, looks like PO might have wanted to run a non-Toyota carb if machined differently than a factory carb base ???

Other than Offy and Clifford, the only one interested in sandcasting for the LC back in the day would have been Harold Graves. Mr. MANifold FREe.

I feel really old knowing that.

Last edited:
You said it Mark, really old but well aged, theres value in that. Did Warden ever make a manifold ? Maybe we should check with Cruzilla , someones gotta know... Pardion, anyone ?

Thanks for all the replies. I’m going to pull the manifold this weekend to replace the header gasket. I’ll take better pictures of it then to see if we can solve the mystery!

This is the carb that was on it.
648151DD-FC27-49F7-B39B-41B6B327E38B.jpeg
1EAA93AC-9DFD-4693-B3D7-A77421AA5B42.jpeg

Here’s a great read on MAN-a-fre and several others …

You said it Mark, really old but well aged, theres value in that. Did Warden ever make a manifold ? Maybe we should check with Cruzilla , someones gotta know... Pardion, anyone ?
To narrow this down a bit….Wardens did not make an intake manifold. My first thought was like @65swb45, being a prototype of Harald Graves, possibly one of his daughters have seen this? Laura or Kay? Hey Al are you out there? Offenhauser and Clifford also had intakes.
We as owners of slug butt F engines back in the early 60’s were always looking for more power.

We as owners of slug butt F engines back in the early 60’s were always looking for more power.

Toyota claimed 85 MPH all day long. Think about it in the early sixties Jeep, Scout and Land Rovers were all four cylinder. Toyota may have slightly played up their six cylinder advantage. 66 and the Bronco, Toyota lost any advantage. 79 and the mini truck was signaling the end of the FJ40 and it's replacement the FJ70 for the US. The 4Runner was the death blow to the two door Land Cruiser in the US.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom