Intake/Exhaust Manifold Refresh items (3 Viewers)

Leaving this here for reference:

Leaving this here for reference:

Excellent reminder...and link to my old thread. My plans/timeframe have changed a lot since then, but I think the heat riser thoughts are exactly what I needed.

So I'm in the midst of a desmog and sniper install on a relatively low mileage cruiser. (43k miles)

There is nothing wrong with the manifold gasket seals to my knowledge, but they are both somewhat old and dingy looking. I was planning to pull them off while I've got the truck apart so that I could have them ceramic coated.

This thread is starting to make me re-think doing it. Am I stepping in a bear trap by pulling the manifolds off an otherwise good running truck?

my local machine shop has charged me between $250-300 he's done 3 or 4 now for me and my customers

bummer on the threaded holes

the manifold I took off the truck is in great shape. But the set I bought off mud classifieds that were already machined...unfortunately the intake was a mess. But not a big deal to fix.

So I'm in the midst of a desmog and sniper install on a relatively low mileage cruiser. (43k miles)

There is nothing wrong with the manifold gasket seals to my knowledge, but they are both somewhat old and dingy looking. I was planning to pull them off while I've got the truck apart so that I could have them ceramic coated.

This thread is starting to make me re-think doing it. Am I stepping in a bear trap by pulling the manifolds off an otherwise good running truck?

I finally did mine because I had very noticeable exhaust leaks and I was having lots of odd stalling issues and had already replaced the obvious stuff.
After doing the refresh I was able to set the carb and idle and it idles like it should and no more exhaust fumes from under the hood

I sent out my cab an distributor to Jim C and it looks like it will be a few weeks. So I decided to take off the manifold and take a look. What really convinced me was my talks with with @Miloslavich and a local cruiser guru named Dale who will be resurfacing the manifold. It turns out like everything else inside the engine there was some serious TLC needed. Originally I could not see any manifold leaks due to the serious grime layer over everything. Once I got in, it was apparent this was the correct move. Many of the bolts connecting the manifold to the block were finger tight and nearly all of the gaskets were burnt up.

IMG_0567.jpg

I spend quite a bit of time today scrubbing off grime on the intake manifold and it looks pretty darn good. I am hoping to paint the exhaust manifold next. Should I hold off on painting the exhaust manifold (bottom one) until I have the machinist look at it.. or is little worry of me covering up anything important like cracks on this piece? Also, the heat riser/hot air intake 90 had broken off one of the attachment points. The heat cloth was also pretty gnarly. Any suggestions on this? Thanks a bunch for all the help.

IMG_0569.jpg

Nice work! good call on pulling the manifold and doing it right. Dont paint anything, get it and all the parts to the machinist first before you try and pretty it up. Dale is a great guy, he'll take care of you.

WSOPgold2012

GOLD Star

While doing my Sniper my shop noticed an exhaust leak and I decided to go the Ceramic Header route...also had it machined as suggested here....wasnt crazy expensive to do that....$40.
Screenshot_20201208-100250.png
Screenshot_20201208-100250.png
Screenshot_20201208-104932.png
Screenshot_20201208-100221.png

Last edited:

Chris Cahill

SILVER Star
I have done this job twice on two different 60's and the hardest parts both times were (1) separating the intake and exhaust manifolds (those bolts like to seize) and (2) finding someone competent to machine the manifolds flat.

I learned the value of PB Blaster and was able to get the bolts out both times after extensive soaking and patience.

Be real careful about who does the machining, put the manifolds back together first and be sure to tell them not to remove any more material than absolutely necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom