Instrument Cluster stopped working; slew of weird symptoms (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I just purchased a 1994 Land Cruiser, my first and it's bitchin'.

Today I went to try out the low range and lockers in some nearby hills. I first put the transfer case in low and cruised up and down some hills, nothing amiss. After about 30 minutes I noticed my oil pressure gauge going down and was about to shut the engine off when I noticed that all of the gauges stopped working except the fuel gauge.

I shut the engine off and started it up a few seconds later with no change. I decided to head home as I didn't want to be stranded alone out in the boonies. I was able to drive back to the highway abs when I drove onto the highway I noticed either the lockers were engaged or the transfer case was locked even though I'd already shifted to high.

At home as I pulled into my driveway I could tell the something was still locked. I popped open the fuse panel under the dash and the gauge fuse was blown. Would that cause the transfer case to stay locked?

FWIW, the steering column plastic cover was broken when I purchased the vehicle and while out in the hills it opened up and got caught by the steering wheel a few times. Could that have caused the gauge fuse to blow?

Additionally, upon inspecting the fuse panel, someone had replaced the ECU 15A fuse with a 30A fuse and the gauge fuse with a 15A fuse.

I searched the forum but didn't find anything relating to my specific situation.

Thanks!

Jon

Congratulations on your purchase! Someone will be along momentarily to offer you some help, but welcome to the club!

Thanks!

Here's a pic from today:

PicsArt_1466397948537.jpg

Does your AC work? I'm trying to remember if the AC is connected with the gauges. I believe I had an issue with the gauge fuse blowing when I turned on the AC. Ended up being a blown resister in the the compressor pigtail.

Check the main engine harness, is it contacting the EGR pipe? It should be tied back to the mount next to the valve cover.

Mr Cimarron,

The AC does not work and I did try and turn it on while I was driving before all of this happened.

Where is the resistor pigtail? Is that the connector to the AC compressor?

Check the main engine harness, is it contacting the EGR pipe? It should be tied back to the mount next to the valve cover.

I'll take a look tomorrow, Tools R Us. Is this harness on the driver's side or passenger side?

Will report back with update.

Thanks!

Jon

Mr Cimarron,

The AC does not work and I did try and turn it on while I was driving before all of this happened.

Where is the resistor pigtail? Is that the connector to the AC compressor?
It is hidden in the pigtail of the compressor I believe. If blown it will ground out and blow fuse when AC kicks on. Try turning AC off, replace fuse and then see if it blows again when AC kicks on. This will at least narrow your search down.

Yes, check this.

And yes, if the fuse was blown while locked, it will remain locked until the fuse is replaced.

I'll take a look tomorrow, Tools R Us. Is this harness on the driver's side or passenger side?

Will report back with update.

Thanks!

Jon

Centered, slightly to driver, comes off the firewall under the heater valve.

Yes, check this.

And yes, if the fuse was blown while locked, it will remain locked until the fuse is replaced.

Interesting. I also forgot to mention, after the fuse blew, despite shifting the transmission into L (tranny, not transfer case), the transmission would still shift into second and third. Would the blown fuse cause this as well?

I just want to make sure that these are symptoms of the same problem and not lots of unrelated ones.

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I worked as a mechanic intermittently in my twenties. It's been a while since I wrenched daily, and I know lots of people have more experience and knowledge in different areas.

I will post updates as soon as I have the time to wrench.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom