Installed a 4Runner TRD shifter in my ‘16 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wait ... What? I can get a TRD start button?

Sure! Here's a 3-Fer in my 2013LC (TRD Start/Stop Button, TRD Shift Knob and TRD Carbon Fiber Emergency Brake Handle Cover) - total HP gain by Butt Dyno = 75HP:

LC2004Fer_11FEB19_zpskhajmqm2.jpg

Another angle on the Start Button and Shift Knob:

LC2002Fer_11FEB19_zpsb8rlpury.jpg

HTH

Oh dear...

I got one, and noticed that when shifting out of Park, the TRD shifter hits the silver bezel around the shift plate.

So I removed it, anyone want it for $70 to your door? Brand new, I can return it, but it’s easier ship off than return it to the dealer I got it from.

I’m lost. Do these shifters fit an ‘08? Saw a few newer models mentioned. Any ‘08’s?

I’m lost. Do these shifters fit an ‘08? Saw a few newer models mentioned. Any ‘08’s?
08-15 all have the same dimensions for how the shifter, shift plate, and bezel are.

But... at least on my ‘11, it makes a very clear “plastic hit sound” and when I looked on the right side of the TRD shifter, it makes contact with the bezel.

Maybe my truck is a little off, or maybe I just notice these things more than others.

Good thread for performance upgrades, when I get my TRD wheels I've calculated that I'll be running 10.7-10.9 quarter miles. Jealous I can't change my shift knob.

IMG_6383.jpg

Here's what the TRD shift knob looks like color-matched to the platinum color of the early years dash (2010 in this case).

Also painted over the red stitching with black steering wheel paint. Added some plumber's tape to the threads so it would tighten up before bottoming out. If it bottoms out, it will hit the side of the shift bezel when shifting in/out of park.

20201009_140838.jpg

By the way, there is limited ability to disassemble this thing, but the trim piece around the top can be removed fairly easily. There is a little clip in the front and a big glob of adhesive in the back.

Using a plastic spudger tool (not a metal screwdriver), pry up the thin front edge part closest to the dash. You'll hear a tiny clip pop loose. Then use a heat gun or hair dryer to gently warm the large section that sits below the TRD letters. Using your fingers to gently pull up on the thin front edge, use the spudger tool about halfway down one side to pry the back panel apart. Once you hear the adhesive letting go, switch to the opposite side and pry there. It should come off easily.

20201009_143402.jpg

Last edited:
Actually matches the interior really well! What year LC do you have. Mines a 2010, with not nearly as much of a “metal” facade on the console. My shifter is VERY worn, might have to give this a go.

If yours has lots of fake wood, there’s exact replicas for sale on eBay. I bought for my 2013 for about $35 and was an exact match to the factory worn shifter. I initially purchased the TRD knob above off Amazon, but it looks out of place in our wood grained consoles.

Here's what the TRD shift knob looks like color-matched to the platinum color of the early years dash (2010 in this case).

Also painted over the red stitching with black steering wheel paint. Added some plumber's tape to the threads so it would tighten up before bottoming out. If it bottoms out, it will hit the side of the shift bezel when shifting in/out of park.

View attachment 2460636

By the way, there is limited ability to disassemble this thing, but the trim piece around the top can be removed fairly easily. There is a little clip in the front and a big glob of adhesive in the back.

Using a plastic spudger tool (not a metal screwdriver), pry up the thin front edge part closest to the dash. You'll hear a tiny clip pop loose. Then use a heat gun or hair dryer to gently warm the large section that sits below the TRD letters. Using your fingers to gently pull up on the thin front edge, use the spudger tool about halfway down one side to pry the back panel apart. Once you hear the adhesive letting go, switch to the opposite side and pry there. It should come off easily.

Did you color match with paint or vinyl? Looks like the shade is pretty darn close!

Shifter paint is SEM 39253 Medium Titanium Metallic and the console woodgrain is covered in vinyl film, 3M 1080 MX12 Matrix black.

Thanks for the info! I recently did some exterior chrome deletion on my Silver 2011 with 3M 1080 (Color Code G120) which is a shockingly close match, so I've had vinyl colors on the mind. A close vinyl match to the interior titanium plastic would be awesome if it exists.

You've definitely got me looking at that matrix black for the interior pieces though – it really looks great. I briefly thought about one of the 3M brushed metal colors to cover up worn interior plastic/wood grain, but knowing how much I abuse the heat gun on the corners and nooks when installing, I'm sure I'd make a big mess of the finish after all was said and done.

View attachment 2460636

View attachment 2460642
Did you use any type of clear coat when you painted the gear shifter? I need to paint the trim in my LC soon as mine is looking rough.

Has anyone installed the 16+ LX shorty shift knob in a 16+ LC? I have a feeling that it won’t work or look finished due to the lack of the leather boot that clips to the bottom of that shift knob in the Cruiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom