INSTALLED: 17" FJ Alloys and 35s! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SUMMIT CRUISERS Jr

SILVER Star
Threads
For a long time I have wanted to go up to 35s, but without regearing I never considered it a possibility with the 3FE. After regearing before Christmas, I started keeping my eyes open for wheels and tires. I was in between 305/70/17s and 285/75/17s. I wanted to keep that tall and skinny look, but fill out my wheel wells. After BFG started discontinuing some sizes, I started looking at other brands. I also wasn't too particularly happy with how the outside lugs on my KM2s had worn down. I came across the Kenda Klever MTs. Not too many reviews online about them, but everyone, apart from someone who drove a long distance with them at a really low pressure, seems pleased with them.

I was looking at Method Race Wheels NV and Mesh, ProComp La Paz, Level 8 Guardians, and Stealth Custom Series wheels. Whatever wheel I decided to get, I had to have the center cap fit over the full floating hub. After emailing companies and researching, that pretty much crossed off every wheel I was interested in.

Then one day I saw on Instagram an Lx570 in beige with gray steelies on it. Started looking around at steelies. Found a listing for $80 a piece shipped on eBay that turned out to be not far from where I am. My dad was nearby that place one day for work and he picked up 5 for $275. After test fitting one, I wasn't too sure about how it would look so I didn't jump into buying tires. A week later, I got an insanely great deal on 5 2011+ FJ Cruiser Alloys.

Test fit the fronts, and the center caps fit. They popped a little bit as the wheel went on, but they fit! The wheels were definitely too bright so onto prepping them for paint.
image.jpg

I used scotchbrite to rough up the surface of the wheels. Used cut trash bags to keep the paint off the tire. Then used VHT gray wheel paint along with a healthy coat of clear coat shot out of the HPLV gun.
image.jpg

On these wheels, they are right around 11" wide and
34 3/8" tall.
The old KM2s on 15" wheels were 70 pounds total, and these on the FJ Alloys are 95 pounds total.
image.jpg

Once the tires and wheels were mounted and painted, I had to order the flat washer style of lug nuts and locking lug nuts. I also ordered an Air Lift 1000 to help the rear end from sagging when loaded down with the RTT, gear, and bikes.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Last night, I aired down the 33s and squeezed it into the garage to install the Air Lift. It was very easy and straightforward. Once that was completed, I moved it out of the garage and started putting on the wheels one at a time.
image.jpg

The new tire and wheel on the right vs a 35x12.5r17 that had spent its entire life on a 10" wide rim.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I will be taking more pictures later today as it was dark when I put them on. Haven't driven it on the highway yet, but it is slower and the brakes are not as responsive initially.

Last edited:
Look great. If I decide to go with them I may keep them silver to match my 80. I thought KM2 availability in a 17 wasn't an issue like it is for the 16.

Very nice, love the way your rig looks especially with 35s.

Look great. If I decide to go with them I may keep them silver to match my 80. I thought KM2 availability in a 17 wasn't an issue like it is for the 16.

Thanks! I am very happy it turned out the way it did. The 285/75r17 KM2 was discontinued. I started looking at the KO2's but were much more limited; however, they are going to release a 34x10.5r17. Being a BFG it will probably be more of a true 33. That's why I decided to just go with 35s.

Looks awesome! I always like seeing your updates. Always tasteful and nicely done.

Did you use wheel spacers? I'm eventually going to go alloy or steelie FJC wheels with a skinnier 35 and no flares. I'd seen other threads where they didn't stick out on a rig with no flares but yours look like they might. Very nice write up sir!

My friend has those Kendas on his Isuzu MU. He really likes them, and they were not expensive at all.

What gear ratio did you regear to? And did you do the gear work yourself?

How wide are those wheels? A 34.5x11" is perfect!

Thanks for all the compliments fellas!

Did you use wheel spacers? I'm eventually going to go alloy or steelie FJC wheels with a skinnier 35 and no flares. I'd seen other threads where they didn't stick out on a rig with no flares but yours look like they might. Very nice write up sir!
I am not running wheel spacers. That was a big factor in my wheel decision. I just didn't want to take any chances with them.

How wide are those wheels? A 34.5x11" is perfect!
These wheels are 17x7.5". They have 5" of backspacing compared to the 4.5" of my factory 15x7s.

How do you like those Kendas? I had them in the 31 10 50, I had to return them cause they just wouldn't ride smooth… I swapped out for BFG all terrains. nice rig!

I am liking them. They are pretty smooth. I balanced each one with about 8-9oz of air soft BBs. A little louder than my KM2s but not bad. I've run them on my mountain bikes and never had a bad experience with Kenda.

Here's some more photos I got while the lighting was right.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thnx for the reply. Do you think these would stick out without flares? I can't quite tell in that last pic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom