In Desperate Need of Charlotte Area FJZ80 Body Shop / Repair / Parts help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there NC folks. I am in a tough situation and need recommendations for how I can get my 1997 LX450 repaired (after 9 months of waiting) - either by having it towed to a different body shop or ideas for how to help my shop get what it needs. I'll share background below.
  • Let me start by saying that this LX450 is in exceptional condition inside and out. It's worth keeping.
  • My daughter got into an accident back in April 2023 that damaged the front right of the vehicle. I have attached to this message the full repair estimate, with the full list of parts required.
  • The shop has been holding the vehicle since, telling me they are waiting to hear on parts
  • While I have a lot of respect for this shop -- they do great work -- they probably aren't plugged into the LC community and are more accustomed the typical newer vehicle insurance repair "standard". They are woefully understaffed and have a huge backlog, so even getting them on the phone or to reply to emails is a challenge.
  • From feedback here and from other LC friends, a mix of some custom/aftermarket stuff (hey, if I'm going to replace the bumper, I might as well get a cool replacement) along with suitable salvaged parts is very doable -- I have several parts (bumper, grille, headlights, etc) that I have suggested to the shop -- but no movement.
  • I am losing confidence that this shop has the time or capacity to help me locate everything needed, and I really need this car back.
Here are my options:

1. Suck it up and wait
2. Have it towed to a body shop in the Charlotte, NC area that has experience with FJZ80s or similar LCs
3. Try to locate more of the non-custom parts (like the hood, etc) myself, at the possible risk of having to pay 2-way shipping if they don't fit

Two questions for the forum:
1. Your opinion on whether I should suck it up and wait, or have it towed elsewhere
2. If I take it elsewhere, any recommendations on where in the Charlotte region I could take this vehicle that knows 1997 LX450s / FJZ80s?

Input much appreciated.

Attachments

• LX450 Repair part list.pdf
    828.2 KB · Views: 53
Sorry to hear this. @Roxx just might be your guy. He owns a collection of land cruisers (including multiple FZJ80's) and a body shop in Southend too!

I am not in Charlotte but I am available to do that work in Raeford NC.

Just an option.

Hey there NC folks. I am in a tough situation and need recommendations for how I can get my 1997 LX450 repaired (after 9 months of waiting) - either by having it towed to a different body shop or ideas for how to help my shop get what it needs. I'll share background below.
  • Let me start by saying that this LX450 is in exceptional condition inside and out. It's worth keeping.
  • My daughter got into an accident back in April 2023 that damaged the front right of the vehicle. I have attached to this message the full repair estimate, with the full list of parts required.
  • The shop has been holding the vehicle since, telling me they are waiting to hear on parts
  • While I have a lot of respect for this shop -- they do great work -- they probably aren't plugged into the LC community and are more accustomed the typical newer vehicle insurance repair "standard". They are woefully understaffed and have a huge backlog, so even getting them on the phone or to reply to emails is a challenge.
  • From feedback here and from other LC friends, a mix of some custom/aftermarket stuff (hey, if I'm going to replace the bumper, I might as well get a cool replacement) along with suitable salvaged parts is very doable -- I have several parts (bumper, grille, headlights, etc) that I have suggested to the shop -- but no movement.
  • I am losing confidence that this shop has the time or capacity to help me locate everything needed, and I really need this car back.
Here are my options:

1. Suck it up and wait
2. Have it towed to a body shop in the Charlotte, NC area that has experience with FJZ80s or similar LCs
3. Try to locate more of the non-custom parts (like the hood, etc) myself, at the possible risk of having to pay 2-way shipping if they don't fit

Two questions for the forum:
1. Your opinion on whether I should suck it up and wait, or have it towed elsewhere
2. If I take it elsewhere, any recommendations on where in the Charlotte region I could take this vehicle that knows 1997 LX450s / FJZ80s?

Input much appreciated.
given you've waited at LEAST 6 months since the July estimate, I would tow it to another shop. You have two solid options just in the past few replies. Being without a car since April is a loooong time IMO.

Unless there's more to the story I am missing, I think you're being taken for a ride by the current body shop. They should be giving you an update of some sort with regular intervals and at least giving you an idea what they're currently doing and where they are with sourcing parts, etc. This reeks to high h*ll to me like they just don't want to do your (comparatively) difficult job vs repairing a 2019 honda.

Sh*t situation for sure. But this is my $0.02. Regardless of what you choose, good luck as the 80 is a great platform to keep running.

I kid I kid

Did I miss where the vehicle currently is? Is it in Charlotte or another part of the state or out of state?

@krzyabncanuck does great work so if he's offering and you want to get it taken out to his place i'd say that is the best option you've been offered yet. He is a cruiser expert and could do what ever after maket additions you'd want while also would be able to find acceptable used parts.

I kid I kid

Did I miss where the vehicle currently is? Is it in Charlotte or another part of the state or out of state?

@krzyabncanuck does great work so if he's offering and you want to get it taken out to his place i'd say that is the best option you've been offered yet. He is a cruiser expert and could do what ever after maket additions you'd want while also would be able to find acceptable used parts.

I agree, this could be a great choice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom