Imagine If You Will - The Expanded 50 Series Line (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I remember when the guy with the Unimog axles was contemplating turning his into a “tray-back” and did up those photoshop pics.
Not sure what happened to him or that 55🤔

This one is cool. From my 55 album.

8EC06145-43DC-4A04-A725-DD218B8D29F4.jpeg

18E479FD-8A91-4DFF-8C2F-7C08F03E9401.jpeg

80AF244E-9420-4EF0-9CC1-8874815DB40A.jpeg

050B2011-1849-4127-8BAA-694BFABD7108.jpeg

*Note*
This is purely for fun, for the sake of imagination and dreamers

The year is 1968. Toyota’s release of the FJ55 in the American markets had mixed results. However, the Land Cruiser design team and heads of sales felt strongly enough about their new direction to convince Toyota’s corporate board to drop the 40 series entirely and push forward with the new 50 series. In order to satisfy the demands of world markets, the design team was challenged with the task of recreating their internationally recognized vehicles with their new design changes. The factories also needed to upgrade their facilities to include the additional tooling required to make changes required for short customized production runs for military and governmental needs.

The design team needs your help finalizing the details of the design crossover, as well as their respective numerical designations.

One of the Toyota guys says, "Hey, should we try out this new-fangled rust proofing stuff we keep hearing about?"

I remember when the guy with the Unimog axles was contemplating turning his into a “tray-back” and did up those photoshop pics.
Not sure what happened to him or that 55🤔

Are you talking about @ridgerunner?

I'm not a fan of the El Camino look.

toyota-land-cruiser-1971-fj55-fj45-truck-custom-4x4-1.jpg

Should have a separate bed.
pig2b.jpg

Chop55.jpg

View attachment 2100662
SECOND RIG IS A PHOTOCHOP... DERN GOODUN, TOO...if you chopped the B-Pillars as close, youd have less headroon behind the seat than youd need to not bump a hole thru the back of your head going down a smooth street... Mine has more B-pillar, and it's still too close. Another 3" is my minimum if I ever did another one... look at the 70 series real close... their doors are longer, and the floorpan is lower so you can really sit in them... Tellin ya, you could have mine... shameless plug- OVER///

I like it! Kinda elcamino, but also quite piggy... not a lot of work to divorce the bed from the cab... I could see it looking really good. If I may, give yourself more room behind that b pillar than you think “looks” right.... sit in it a while;)

Looking at this one tomorrow. I too prefer a separate bed but....soft top with roll up sides would be pretty fun and useful. Albeit a little chilly most of the time up here in the north country.

View attachment 2102547

View attachment 2102548

Two door even! Shorten the wheelbase and shorten the cargo space and you have the FJ50 or 52 soft-top. Build an honest to goodness soft-top and a removable hard-top out of donor roof, and watch the heads explode 🤯

This cab here approaches what I’m envisioning, by using the back end of the tub, roof, and tailgate to round off the back of the cab. The space behind the B-pillar is a little awkward. Fill it with glass? Better visibility that way, rather than fill it with steel. Also think I’d shrink up the width of the flat on the upper tailgate and the angle of the back pillars to suck it in a few inches and give it a little more of a vertical angle.

6C575F8E-6736-45CF-B49D-92EFAF131E94.jpeg

Need to tag @gofast into these great pigup shots...

This cab here approaches what I’m envisioning, by using the back end of the tub, roof, and tailgate to round off the back of the cab. The space behind the B-pillar is a little awkward. Fill it with glass? Better visibility that way, rather than fill it with steel. Also think I’d shrink up the width of the flat on the upper tailgate and the angle of the back pillars to suck it in a few inches and give it a little more of a vertical angle.

View attachment 2102657

I think you would want glass behind the B pillar. It is pretty crazy how far back that front seat goes behind the B pillar.

Why not keep the back doors as well? Then the flat bed.

I’m just going for single cab. Already have a 4 door 55 people hauler.
Plus, there’s an issue inherent in the wagon design that doesn’t lend itself well to that look. The back doors have the fender reliefs, which I’d rather not have, especially when pushing the rear axle back with a frame stretch. It *could* be done, but a load more work. Look kinda like those 4 door 45 pickups (forget the nickname).

Agree

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom