Illegal FJ60 camping in DVNP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Some FJ60 made the Basin and Range Watch environmental groups Facebook page.

Someone illegally left the dirt road and camped off in the desert. Not cool.

Here’s the post, “The government shut down is encouraging illegal camping in National Parks. Seen here off Keane Wonder Mine Road in Death Valley National Park last evening, these people dove off the road about 200 yards on the desert pavement. We attempted to report it to the Park Service, but they can't even listen to their phone messages over this ridiculous shut-down.”

And the culprit:

8041FC67-46F6-48B6-A5FE-683C7BEC154F.png

In a national park it is illegal to leave the designated dirt roads. Otherwise you could literally drive all over the hills and desert in the park.

Same goes for the pristine meadows in Yosemite national park.

Whomever posted it did not stop and go let them know. I am hoping the campers were simply uninformed about proper etiquette and rules.

Whomever posted it did not stop and go let them know. I am hoping the campers were simply uninformed about proper etiquette and rules.

If that's the case then they are still possibly uninformed because the passerby just decided to post online to shame people and not try and fix the situation. Not surprised that's how its done today..

Last edited:
The person is lucky the rangers didn’t have resources available. There’s usually a hefty fine for this behavior.

I’ve been in saline valley and had rangers come up to me asking if we saw who was driving on the dunes. They take that stuff serious.

You confront some people about stuff like that in rural settings and you could get yourself shot. Use judgement. They are 60s guys so they may be on IH8MUD. I agree about protecting fragile ecosystems. A lot of people could care less protecting it.

That looks like typical baja camping. Camp anywhere. Everyone does that down there and nobody cares. I bet those guys didn't know about the super constricting USA law.

I've come to realize that without some control there are enough people around to seriously damage the landscape. Could be out of ignorance or could be intentional. I suspect most of us have seen both types in action.

On the other hand (1) My default position is suspicion of and disrespect for authority. (2) For decades now the greens have had the upper hand regarding the creation of public land use policy. End result of which is limiting access for motor sports.

Always in the back of my mind is this:

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
~ Ayn Rand (“The Nature of Government”)

"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible to live without breaking laws."
~ Ayn Rand, (“Atlas Shrugged”)

Last edited:
@Randy88FJ62 I'm not arguing with you by any means, illegal camping hurts us all...BUT...just because someone post that someone else is camping illegally doesn't by itself mean it's true or accurate. I just don't trust greenies w/o some back up evidence.

I mean it may be accurate, but I'd like to know with certainty.

u know, you drive up in the wilderness and you wished you camped but this free country ain't really free... pfttt. and it's cause whoever goes out and camps in the wilderness leaves their s*** behind. i wish i was able to camp wherever i wanted ...tsk tsk tsk

“The government shut down is encouraging illegal camping in National Parks......We attempted to report it to the Park Service, but they can't even listen to their phone messages over this ridiculous shut-down.”

Appears to me that in this situation the primary panty wadding stimulus for Basin and Range Watch is the government shutdown.

The guys that took a picture and didn't say anything are "hurting the environment" as well by not talking to them. The campers could be from the United States and just visiting California and not know any better then possibly do it again the next day.

And to the comments about "getting shot" people camping with that much gear and a nice rig are not gonna shoot you. Approach them to inform them about the laws and the cost of a ticket park rangers will give out.. Just don't be a smug a****** and they will probably thank you. I talk to strangers when I'm out and I have not been shot.. pretty sure wild animals are more of a threat than campers.

I'm not on the campers side even if i think the law is dumb, still the law but it pisses me off when someone just posts something online making the offroad community look bad and do nothing to fix the situation.

It's San Fran Nan's fault.

Any other place in the desert, BLM land an other, camping is wide open. Only in the National Park is it restricted. Probably just did not know any better.

Man, how else are you suppose to expo bro? I mean, you gotta put those yeti coolers and patagonia vests to good use!!

No seriously, thats exactly how we loose land rights. 99% sure it was just an uninformed group. As other mentioned, this could have been solved we some good neighborly love and not facebook shaming, but it is 2019 after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom