Builds Ikarus' LX470 Offroad Build and BS (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry if I missed it, but what are you using to air the tires back up on the trail ?

How's the Slinky setup so far? Would love to hear your thoughts.

I'm in the market for some new suspension (about to throw on f/r bumpers). I was originally looking at the Iron Man Foam Cell and Tough Dog TourFlex setups, but now these really caught my eye.

The Slinky kit has been amazing. Super comfortable on and off road, flexes well, and gives a tiny bit more travel in the front with a lot more travel in the back. All the components - T bars, brackets, rock shields, swaybar extensions etc. are beefy and high quality. Icon shocks are always great, and the springs are really impressive. I really like the dual/progressive rate. Just as comfortable around town unloaded as they are with 400 lbs in the back. Now I'll be forced to shell out $3K for suspension every time I buy a new Land Cruiser just cause anything else will feel so harsh and unrefined. ha

I have the medium (50mm) springs and it's perfect with my Slee bumper around town. If you carry a ton of stuff in the back I'd go with the 70mm.

Customer service through Endless Horizon Outfitters is top notch, Kevin is a good dude.

The only downside to this setup - and any kit with Icon shocks - is that Icon has a recommended service interval of 15-20K ish. So figure that into your budget. Every two years or so you'll need to remove the shocks and send them to Icon or find a local place that services them.

I've heard really good things about Tough Dog. I'd go with them if you don't want to spend too much but still want a quality setup.

Sorry if I missed it, but what are you using to air the tires back up on the trail ?

I don't think I ever posted about it. I went with a Slee second battery tray. I don't really need a second battery right now, but i like the mount for the compressor. Installed a CKMTA12 twin compressor:

g1EB8NC.jpg

zAGTPaF.jpg

I keep meaning to clean the engine bay but then I go offroad again and feel like it's too much work..

Where did you pick up the ratchet straps..need something that hefty

Picked up a Slee jerry can carrier:

MOvoAt5.jpg

As with all Slee stuff, it's high quality. The strap system is very nice. I just need to pick up one more can

nS6XK3V.jpg

Also bought a Hilift. Went with the 60 inch so i won't be keeping it on the truck - just for trips. Won't be able to get into the garage

nhmnX3c.jpg

FizqflH.jpg

great thread man! Great truck!

Thanks man! I've been spending a lot of time with the cruiser but finally got around to pulling the E30 out of winter storage today -

Eae8iCP.jpg

SeuZLTT.jpg

a8qPQcB.jpg

Wish it was an M3 so I could one day make some money off it.. haha oh well.

Where did you pick up the ratchet straps..need something that hefty

Yeah it's nice. Came with the jerry can carrier from Slee - must be a proprietary thing cause instead of hooks it has attachments to mount to the slots on each side of the basket.

sof1140-6.jpg

is that a flocked dash on the e30? digging that. Wish I would have done that on my e30.

here she is a few years ago. she was slow but she handled so well on that track.

9780095015_b6b8982b76_k.jpg

is that a flocked dash on the e30? digging that. Wish I would have done that on my e30.

here she is a few years ago. she was slow but she handled so well on that track.

View attachment 1716659

Very cool. I've been debating a roll bar in mine. Still have your car?

Yeah, it's a flocked dash. Really happy with how it turned out. My dash was super nasty and cracked

Naw long gone. two kids later I had to give track cars a break. that's actually when I turned to off road camping. now I can carry my family around in my money pit haha.

Naw long gone. two kids later I had to give track cars a break. that's actually when I turned to off road camping. now I can carry my family around in my money pit haha.

Yeah that's how it goes! Having one money pit is difficult enough

Anyone else with this RAM setup having issues with the vertical piece becoming "wobbly". Since it's a "softer" metal to be able to bend, I keep having issues with it becoming soft where it's clamped at the bottom and get severly wobbly. Did I set it up wrong? Over-tighten? Just curious if anyone else is having issues.

Anyone else with this RAM setup having issues with the vertical piece becoming "wobbly". Since it's a "softer" metal to be able to bend, I keep having issues with it becoming soft where it's clamped at the bottom and get severly wobbly. Did I set it up wrong? Over-tighten? Just curious if anyone else is having issues.

Yeah it's kind of a funny setup. I'm not sure about it being wobbly at the base - mine has been reasonably solid. They did say that you need to keep the metal rod as straight as possible, with just one sharp bend instead of a gradual curve.

I switched mine to steel. Less wobbly now.

P6l23L6.jpg

Nothing much to report on the cruiser. No repairs needed luckily, just been putting miles on it. The 10 mpg and summer gas prices have me looking for a new daily driver, but now I'm just test driving M3s and ISFs and that's not gonna help me much.. ha.

The other day, though, I happened to glance down at the cluster right as the ABS and VSC light flashed on for less than a second, then went away. Haven't come back since - was it a fluke? Anyone else seen that? I know they both came on when I had a bad coil pack and later with a bad o2 sensor last year. Maybe another coil pack is getting ready to go?

Mine started that way a month ago and now the lights are on most of the time. No CEL. I suspect it’s my abs sensor, my dealer tore the boot trying to disconnect it to get to my axle seal over the winter.

After reading threads here I made this checklist to troubleshoot:

-Gas cap tight?
-Brake fluid level (all fluids)
-P light in dash?
-reset ecu (disconnect battery)
-Fuses/loose wires
-check DTC (ABS Engaging 99 LC)/ FSM
-if no luck, then have dealer pull DTC codes
-Abs sensor *likely suspect*
-battery or alternator
-master cylinder

Last edited:
Mine started that way a month ago and now the lights are on most of the time. No CEL. I suspect it’s my abs sensor, my dealer tore the boot trying to disconnect it to get to my axle seal over the winter.

After reading threads here I made this checklist to troubleshoot:

-Gas cap tight?
-Brake fluid level (all fluids)
-P light in dash?
-reset ecu (disconnect battery)
-Fuses/loose wires
-check DTC (ABS Engaging 99 LC)/ FSM
-if no luck, then have dealer pull DTC codes
-Abs sensor *likely suspect*
-battery or alternator
-master cylinder

Great to know, thanks man!

P6l23L6.jpg

Nothing much to report on the cruiser. No repairs needed luckily, just been putting miles on it. The 10 mpg and summer gas prices have me looking for a new daily driver, but now I'm just test driving M3s and ISFs and that's not gonna help me much.. ha.

The other day, though, I happened to glance down at the cluster right as the ABS and VSC light flashed on for less than a second, then went away. Haven't come back since - was it a fluke? Anyone else seen that? I know they both came on when I had a bad coil pack and later with a bad o2 sensor last year. Maybe another coil pack is getting ready to go?

Dailys are hard to justify in my mind because there are a lot more costs then just the price tag of the car. This may sound lame but I have started biking more and taking the train. It costs me $4.80 to ride front runner from Bountiful to Ogden Round trip. Doing that drive in my Cruiser is well over double that in gas. But having a sporty fun car again is always at the back of my mind.

Dailys are hard to justify in my mind because there are a lot more costs then just the price tag of the car. This may sound lame but I have started biking more and taking the train. It costs me $4.80 to ride front runner from Bountiful to Ogden Round trip. Doing that drive in my Cruiser is well over double that in gas. But having a sporty fun car again is always at the back of my mind.

Yeah, for sure. That's not lame at all - I took Frontrunner and rode my bike for several years and loved it. Doesn't work for my schedule and work anymore, unfortunately. With gas savings I'd really only be looking at about $1000 saved per year with a new daily - and everything I'm looking at will require maintenance. Plus I don't have enough garage space for 4 cars and that's just a hassle.

Where are you finding a clean ISF? The only one that I have seen on KSL is overpriced and looks a little ghetto with the headlights...

Where are you finding a clean ISF? The only one that I have seen on KSL is overpriced and looks a little ghetto with the headlights...

They come and go pretty quickly on KSL. I think I know the one you're talking about, those blue headlights are weird. Rebuilt title ISFs pop up all the time for under $20K - I think there's a silver one like that, 16K, looks great, low miles but unfortunate about the title. There was a real clean dark grey ISF for about 22K with a clean title last week but it's gone.

I guess 400+ HP and rear wheel drive is just too much for inexperienced drivers. So many rebuilt title ISFs out there haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom