If you had to do it again.. (Wheels & Tires) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are they forged?
No…but they’re rated for like 3k lbs per wheel (vs something like 2500 per rock warrior).

And since they’re not forged, you can re-powder coat them at a later time, unlike the rock warriors..you can also buy them brand new, unlike rock warriors.

Also, there are, likely due to the light weight, reports of cracked and bent rock warriors. They only weigh 21 lbs (without the ring).

I also think the evo corse wheels look better, though that’s subjective.

285 70 r17 k02’s or toyo at3’s on evo corse’s…they’re a bit heavier than rock warriors but I get the feeling they’re stronger…easy to repaint or powder coat in the long run too.

View attachment 2908923
These are the wheels that I want for my 2019 LX but was told special order item only and will take 8 months to get! Where did you buy yours? BTW- your LC looks great!

I am doing it over, and went with the Evo Corse Dakar in 17" and will wrap them in 34" BFG AT KO2s ( I know, these tires are not universally liked, but I have yet to have them let me down over many, many vehicles, so am sticking with a working formula).

Main Line Overland had a container coming in (actually should be hitting their inventory right about now) and had some coming in stock Tundra/200 sizing. If you're interested, give them a holler, they may have more available.

Edit: one thing I would add is that the 18" Tundra TRD rims with 33" tires makes for a reasonably economical upgrade. I have run them for a while - they perform well, look good (if you're into the blacked out look, which I am) and are available used for fair prices. I'm talking about the '17-18 TRD rims, not the more expensive BBS version that came later - those are sweet, but more costly. You can often get the older TRD rims for ~$250 each with caps and sometimes even lugnuts, while the BBS version ends up closer to $550 with caps.

Last edited:
These are the wheels that I want for my 2019 LX but was told special order item only and will take 8 months to get! Where did you buy yours? BTW- your LC looks great!
Not mine. Just a good photo of evo corse w 285 70 r17’s I came across.

ROCK WARRIORS FOR SURE
I would debate between KO2s DT as they lasted 100k+ miles or Michelins for DD. The KO2s look super raw but not as smooth as michelins. DTs are not as good in snow as its harder rubber. Load ratings is also something I would watch more carefully.

So KO2 DT (DIFFERENT TREAD) for sure, i went to Pep Boys yesterday to get tires rotated after 75k miles. 2 tires tread depth 9, 1 was 8 and other was 7 (must have been from alignment). Its not great on ice but since I plan on keeping my LC 500k miles I like not having to change tires often. Regular KO2s lasted ~40k miles before breaking chunks.

Pep Boys claimed that there is no mileage rating on the tire because it lasts forever. I remember when I bought it it had 100k mile warranty from Discount Tire. I thought DT stood for Discount Tire 100k mile warranty or else I probably would have never bought them.

Last edited:
I've just replaced the stock Dunflop's to the stock size Michelin LTX Defenders M/S. Wow!! Thank God for this forum. What a world of difference!! Very very thankful for all the reports and recommendations! Fits my needs perfectly!
@Mohican 21, curious, what size Michelin LTX Defenders did you end up going with?

I'm in the market to buy, but deliberating on which rims to pair with the Michelins, LT. Thinking the 17" Icon Vector 5's in satin black once Slee has stock again. Trying to decide how much taller I can or want to go on the tire profile with stock suspension, and how much I want to throw off the speedo. Thanks for any insight!! (Thanks also for a fresh thread on this topic!)

@Mohican 21, curious, what size Michelin LTX Defenders did you end up going with?

I'm in the market to buy, but deliberating on which rims to pair with the Michelins, LT. Thinking the 17" Icon Vector 5's in satin black once Slee has stock again. Trying to decide how much taller I can or want to go on the tire profile with stock suspension, and how much I want to throw off the speedo. Thanks for any insight!! (Thanks also for a fresh thread on this topic!)
285 60 18. I stayed stock. Most of my driving is on pavement with long trips to different states to go fishing. No serious off roading here. Just a off beaten path or trail once in a rare blue. And those Vector 5's are nice!

33’s on factory 18’s fit well on ours stock, I’ve since added the OEM 10mm front spacer simply to get rid of some of the factory rake. I’d love to leave it alone from here but I know myself and I will lift it as soon as the wife gets a new daily next year.
@Tex68w Could provide detail on the OEM 10mm front spacer you're talking about? Just picked up a 2021 and want to minimize the factory rake as well. Thanks.

Every owner will have different needs, wants, and situation. I do a lot of long highway runs around lower Lake Michigan, so highway snow/slush/ice driving is a priority. But I still want tires that will survive well with mostly dry highways, and AT capabilities if possible. Nokian Rotiiva AT+ 275/70-18 have turned out to be the perfect tire for me. But they are now discontinued, so I'll try the replacement when the time comes. They are rough when run at the recommended 42psi, and they bounce so much on bumpy highway curves I have to watch my lane. They smooth out around 38psi, so I air down when taking my wife on long highway runs.

I wish I installed the Bridgestone Revo3 when they came out. Absolutely fantastic tire. If you drive 95% pavement, do yourself a big favor and give these a try.

Not what I would have done, but Ikon Vehicle Dynamics. If they just made the Vector 5 in 18" I'd be happy. That said, I'd probably should have gone with 17" from the moment I swapped the stock tires.
View attachment 2906304

Every wheel that I like is not available in 18".. the Icon Vector 5, Icon Six Speed, Method 703, Fifteen52 most models, etc.

Evo Corses can be had in 18's but added a goofy lip design vs <17's. In general the LC200 wheel selection is much smaller than I expected 😕

Last edited:
Every wheel that I like is not available in 18".. the Icon Vector 5, Icon Six Speed, Method 703, Fifteen52 most models, etc.

Evo Corses can be had in 18's but added a goofy lip design vs <17's. In general the LC200 wheel selection is much smaller than I expected 😕

I feel your pain and I am also struggling with this as well.

Alphaequipt command? 18” +25 offset

On my LC I immediately went to 275/70/18 KO2s but it being my Espresso Cruiser never got off the pavement so I switched to same size defenders and was in love. Did new Defenders on the LX and will only buy an additional AT tire set when I’ve got an off road trip on the books.

Summary: Keep a comfy set for most of your driving swap out a different set for off roading

Hope others keep feeding this thread. Good to hear hindsight thoughts.

Nothing too interesting to report on my end. Came with P285/60/18 directional, highway-performance Nokian tires. Loud af.

Quickly went P275/65/18 Conti ATs w/ 1” factory spacer lift. Have really liked them; about 30k miles now. Wouldn’t go back and change that decision.

I think I’ll be going back to 285w for no other reason than it looks a tad skinny from the rear. Lol. And the two or three 200s I’ve seen in person with 295/70/18s with a mild lift have me thinking that is the perfect stance for this truck. Likely won’t go that far but a man can dream.

Nothing too interesting to report on my end. Came with P285/60/18 directional, highway-performance Nokian tires. Loud af.

Quickly went P275/65/18 Conti ATs w/ 1” factory spacer lift. Have really liked them; about 30k miles now. Wouldn’t go back and change that decision.

I think I’ll be going back to 285w for no other reason than it looks a tad skinny from the rear. Lol. And the two or three 200s I’ve seen in person with 295/70/18s with a mild lift have me thinking that is the perfect stance for this truck. Likely won’t go that far but a man can dream.
I’m debating that too…my concern is that it’s a lot of sidewall. I think that means a cushier ride which is good, but i wonder how different highway performance would be.

It seems to me that the softer and more compliant the ride is, the more wallowy it gets at high speed.

Finding the balance between high speed stability and compliant ride seems like an expensive process of trial and error.

I'll be going to either 285/70/18's or 295/70/18's on aftermarket wheels in the spring. I currently run 275/70/18's on the stock wheels with the OEM 10mm front spacers but I'll be putting the lift on soon. I plan to keep the stock wheels and 275's for now and replace with aftermarket wheels and the larger tires in the spring once I've gotten another 10-15K miles out of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom