identification by engine number 2H (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Folks,

I have a very similar problem as described in

unfortunately the thread wasn't really helpful enough to see what that means for my engine.

Also for me, I have an Engine that was put into a different body.. In my case a 2H engine is sitting in a FJ45-Body. (so kind of a custom made HJ-47)... Now I never bought yet Engine parts and for the rest of the vehicle i have the VIN (as on the plate in the body)
But now I am having as a project the overhaul of the engine and as getting parts in Ethiopia is a big headache, i first wanted to make sure that i would get the parts. So when I used TOYODIY.com in order to figure out the parts i find for most parts 2 versions:

For example:
4111 GASKET KIT, ENGINE OVERHAUL

04111-68010 (10/1982 - 10/1984) 1 $339.28

04111-68020 (11/1984 - 07/1987) 1 $341.74

maybe with the Gasket-Kit it is not all so terrible as i could imagine that the difference is quite small, but same is true for combustion chambers, crankshaft- & connecting rod bearings, Pistons, and others... so i assume i should really know if i have the "older type" or the "newer type"

another thread that i hoped would maybe help was:

but in fact there was only one single Engine number + manufacturing date included, that maybe helps:
Model: HJ 47RV-KCQ
Build date: 08/1984 (Aussie plate says 09/'84)
Engine serial:1082938
Frame no. HJ 47 - 037030

Now I am wondering: The picture below shows that the corrolation of F/2F motor-production dates with its serial number...

engineserialnos-jpg.429123

It suggests that the Engine serial number is simply a running number.... Given the information above that engine serial number 1082938 was produced in 08/'84, that would mean that my serial number (1058681) was produced earlier than that. In that case i would have to buy the "older type" parts before 10/84.

If somebody knew for sure that the engine serial numbers are simply running numbers i would be reasonably sure that i have the "older type".

Best!

Thomas

If no one has any helpful information in this 60s forum (I don't) maybe also repost this thread in the Diesel section. A lot more guys over there are more familiar with that engine and might have some tips.

Diesel Tech / 24 volts

So, I found in another forum a similar topic and there it was also mentioned that pre 11/84 models had factory-made sleeves and that the two versions could be differenciated by the timing belt cover.

see here what they suggest as the two different timing belt covers. If i compare that with mine it looks pretty much that mine would be the earlier type.

Othere way is to check the injector pump number. Late 2H pumps generally end in the 4 digits 1070 or 1080.

not seeing such a number on my plate of the injector pump.. so another hint for old type !?

the one picture in the post before shows an excerpt of the my timing gear cover.

BTW: just checked in my 2H repair manual from 1980 (so obviously only early type).. there they really speak about liners (while it is stated that they also can be bored open and an oversize piston used).

also it shows there the same "early type" time gear cover as shown in the post above... was crosschecking with the newer 2H-manual (which includes the 12-HT) but they were not using photos anymore but drawings, so it is not as clear as in the old manual

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom