ICON lift users, how is the ride? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've done searches but it's hard to pull together a clean list of commentary. Just wondering how the ride changes from stock at various settings, and whether you can truly dial in a stock-like ride.

Also wondering if anyone has run an ICON lift but stayed with 285/65/18 tires? If I stay at that tire size could I also run a 1.25" spacer if I wanted a more pleasing stance?

As is the case with may things, a written description simply can't describe something as well as a picture or feeling in the seat of your pants for that matter:D

That said, here's my $.02:

I have mine set very soft (softest in the rear and one step from softest in the front) and even at that setting they aren't as loose and squishy as stock suspension, but keep in mind that when you lift a vehicle, the springs are going to play a roll in addition to the shock.

I would still call the ride super comfortable in addition to being substantially more controlled than stock over bumps, through dips, bombing into driveways, etc.

As is the case with may things, a written description simply can't describe something as well as a picture or feeling in the seat of your pants for that matter:D

That said, here's my $.02:

I have mine set very soft (softest in the rear and one step from softest in the front) and even at that setting they aren't as loose and squishy as stock suspension, but keep in mind that when you lift a vehicle, the springs are going to play a roll in addition to the shock.

I would still call the ride super comfortable in addition to being substantially more controlled than stock over bumps, through dips, bombing into driveways, etc.
Thanks, that helps. I've had lifts before that turned a squirrely-riding jeep into a more firm handling ride but it came with downside of teeth rattling jolts over potholes and speed bumps. Trying to avoid that fate here . . .

I run Icons and love it. Be aware that Icons will need to be rebuilt somewhere along your timeline of ownership. I wouldnt let that keep me from purchasing them, just know its a given. The ride is superior to OEM suspension in every fashion. You wont regret your purchase as long as you appreciate what you buy into. I have a thread documenting my rebuild process if youre interested in that part of ownership. Good choice and good luck.

I have been eyeing the icons for some time now. I just can't pull the trigger as I am scared of losing the soft cushy stock ride. I don't really want to lift my vehicle as its 6'6" which still works in most parking garages barely. I love the concept of a performance suspension but haven't had good luck with this in the past.

Is anyone aware if there is any difference in terms of the road ride between the different Stages of the Icons? There is a substantial price increase as you move up. Considering these for the wife's '16.

Components is the price increase. Once the CDC resi's are added you enter the realm of adjustable ride feel. The rear control arms dont contribute to what you feel going down the road / trail. The UCA's are nice if youre wanting all icon.
They also came out with a new sealed uniball joint deemed the delta joint.
Delta Joint | Icon Vehicle Dynamics -

I started with the basic VS 2.5 shocks front and rear. The ride quality was great, firmer than stock, but plush and amazing off r road. I had the fronts rebuilt and added the reservoirs. Since the rebuild the fronts have fealt stiffer. Looking back, I should have spent the extra to get the adjusting valves. It is an amazing system, if you are goimg to spend the money to get icons, spend the extra and get the reservoirs with the CDC valve. Will be the best mod you can do to the truck for ride comfort, quality and off roadability.

It's brilliant in every way. Once I got it installed it felt as nice as my Porsche - comfortable and most importantly composed.

Put it this way: go to any major city and without breaking the speed limit you will be the fastest four-wheeler - Why? Because of how well the suspension handles pavement imperfections you don't have to slow down. Now in a stock suspension you don't HAVE to slow down but you will or else you will be bouncing around all over the place.

@Reckless as long as you're about 80 inches (what I'm at now 6'8) you'll find at least a few garages. Come on you had an S-class it's time to take that thing to the next level. I just did 1000 miles in it in four days and it was first class all the way.

Last edited:
I started with the basic VS 2.5 shocks front and rear. The ride quality was great, firmer than stock, but plush and amazing off r road. I had the fronts rebuilt and added the reservoirs. Since the rebuild the fronts have fealt stiffer. Looking back, I should have spent the extra to get the adjusting valves. It is an amazing system, if you are goimg to spend the money to get icons, spend the extra and get the reservoirs with the CDC valve. Will be the best mod you can do to the truck for ride comfort, quality and off roadability.

So it looks like I'll need to get at least the Icon "Stage 4" suspension for the CDC Valve / Ride-adjustable feature.

2008 - Current Toyota Land Cruiser 200 Series suspension - Stage 4

You don't have to buy the whole kit. Order the parts individually and get exactly what you need.

58760C (QTY - 1) - 2008-Up Land Cruiser 200 Series (0-3" Lift) 2.5" Remote Reservoir Coilover Shocks w/ CDCV

57825CP (QTY - 1) - 2008-Up Land Cruiser 200 Series (0-2" Lift) 2.5" V.S. Series Remote Reservoir Rear Shocks w/ CDCV

OME rear springs, you choose the spring rate based on planned load (bumper, drawers, fridge...etc)

SPC upper control arms. They have adjustable ball joints to help get the alignment under control with a lift.

It's brilliant in every way. Once I got it installed it felt as nice as my Porsche - comfortable and most importantly composed.

Put it this way: go to any major city and without breaking the speed limit you will be the fastest four-wheeler - Why? Because of how well the suspension handles pavement imperfections you don't have to slow down. Now in a stock suspension you don't HAVE to slow down but you will or else you will be bouncing around all over the place.

@Reckless as long as you're about 80 inches (what I'm at now 6'8) you'll find at least a few garages. Come on you had an S-class it's time to take that thing to the next level. I just did 1000 miles in it in four days and it was first class all the way.
This is a great description - but it's the same way I'd describe my setup too! Haha... planted. No drama. Go faster than the posted speed limit of the turn (think mountain roads) and never hit the brake pedal. I equate mine to a slightly more cushy BMW!! But my mother... who drives an X5 thinks mine feel more like a Cadillac?? Her words not mine, guess it all depends on what you're used to.

I LOVE my Icons stage 5 w/ Tundra front conversion...... I'd argue that the Tundra parts are worth doing if you do more than stage 2..... the adjusters really change the ride when used - I can put it in 1 to have it be slinky around town or offroad, but for longer trips 6-8 really make it handle really well. Widening the stance via spacers or the tundra kit ( spacer in rear) also seems to help it track and handle...

with a 30mm rear spacer and the front coilovers dialed up I'm limited to 6" 10 w/ my Prinsu rack.....

E

The tundra conversion is another option if you think you want that then you need to make sure icon understands your intentsion...deal directly with them on that. decide first what your spending allows then get in the details. i personally have never topped out my travel and wished for more. And i like to run and tuck fat tires. You got some reading to do @largetalons to fully understand the pros and cons between the two set ups if you are feeling adventurous. Not knocking either set up.

Last edited:
agree - the tundra setup does create some issues with requiring timbrens to limit upward travel and likely aqnother 2k in cost.... plus the rear track then is narrower by 3 inches.... but at speed it seems significantly smoother then a friends stage 2 Icon setup without going over big speed bumps and down fire roads with rolls and whoops.

E

agree - the tundra setup does create some issues with requiring timbrens to limit upward travel and likely aqnother 2k in cost.... plus the rear track then is narrower by 3 inches.... but at speed it seems significantly smoother then a friends stage 2 Icon setup without going over big speed bumps and down fire roads with rolls and whoops.

E
$2k would be if you walked into a shop and told them to do everything, AND paid full retail for all the Tundra parts. It can be done for less w/out compromising a whole lot (would have to be OK w/ new take-offs). Just didn't want to completely scare the guy out of the solution, since I know it can be done for a third of that cost.

And I'm not running tires that are any taller than stock, explain to me the "must add the Timbrens" - I was under assumption it was optional. After 10 days across the desert and through Moab never once did I scrub a fender or top out. Maybe I just wasn't going fast enough over something large enough!?! And I was certainly "stuffed" on many occasions.

The rear width difference is an easy fix w/ spacers. And I think I've said it in the past, IMO the Tundra conversion brings more to the table than the shocks themselves (racing shocks or not). It's been suggested but we need to find a meetup where we can share our 200s and drive all the different setups one after another and really go apples to apples.

Edit: and to the OP def just read up as suggested, I completely copied what @RS6tofj80 and @bjowett and everyone else (can't name you all but if you did the Tundra conversion at some point I read up on it). And then just head down and went. Time will tell if it was a good decision or not.

Last edited:
Well Next time youre in KY hit me up and we'll test'em out and bash on them.
I like that suggestion.

I run timbrens to slow my uptravel when rolling so the big ole rubber doesnt strip my wheel well liners out or worse. Its not a mandatory deal but sure is nice knowing you have another component to be there in case you do something absent minded. Pretyy sure @RS6tofj80 would say the same.

Just needed an invite! Haha...

Got it, and if/when I decide to run big boy tires I know Timbrens will be part of the cost (along w/ gears). In time...

Timbrens are required if you plan on running 35s or larger, regardless of using the Tundra conversion.

I ran into no issues running 285/75/17 tires with the Tundra set up.
I would recommend longer bump stops, if for nothing else to keep the coils from binding up at full compression. Timbrens may be the top of the line, but the Tundra guys are having good luck with much cheaper energy suspension bushings.

Back to the OP: One of the benefits of going with the wider Tundra arms, is the clearance from the sway bars and KDSS components.
Anytime you modify your vehicle there will be trade offs. Stick with cruiser parts and deal with clearing the sway bars, trimming the wheel wells and limited offset wheels.
go full Tundra and you clear the sway bars, but now are somewhat limited in wheel selection and width unless you are willing to have your tires sticking out past the fenders.

Everyone that has done the Tundra conversion has loved the way it turned out. It is more labor, and more parts, but if you are going to drop a couple thousand dollars on a lift, why not add 700 to it and get a wider track width, a little more travel, and more availability of spare parts.
luckily nothing has broken yet, but I know I have a better chance finding Tundra parts than cruiser...

I had posted up on another thread discussing the Tundra conversion or brakes, that at Breckenridge we should find an easy trail and let other 200 owners take a hot lap and compare different suspension/brake setups.
I plan on being there, and as long as you are respectful of the truck and don't TRY to break stuff you are welcome to give it a go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom