Icon 80 series performance suspension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Reviving this thread since I've been on them for a few months now and been able to test the set up over some different conditions. First things first, I don't know what rear bumper they had in mind for these as the intended weight, but my 4x4 labs with a spare + hi lift is apparently too heavy. I have a reverse rake pretty much permanently and am installing either 1" or 1.5" spacers next spring. However, that being said the rig definitely articulates better than the OME set up it replaced and despite the sag I never bottomed out in some whoops, even though the FJC I was with did a few times. They suit the weight of the vehicle well for on road manners without being stiff or jarring on square edge bumps. No complaints from a 5400 mile road trip we knocked out in July, or when I towed a 4k lb van from WA to CO. I could've taken a little more lift on the Rubicon, but I think I'll upsize the tires to accomplish that. With 2.5* OME bushings in the control arms and 3* caster bushings in the knuckles, it drives nice and straight with no vibrations either. Would I buy it again? Yes, but only if I already had the Icon shocks in the first place, since the off the shelf 2.0s do not work with the slinky springs. Had I had the option, or if i was starting from scratch, I would have gone slinky instead and gotten a little higher spring rate for the rear.

Couple poser shots to show some of the flex:
13724056_10100449845078826_3331123511129837120_o.jpg

13719733_10100449845073836_5056653981803567890_o.jpg

Would it be possible for someone to post up how you mounted the rear shocks along with placement of the reservoir and control valve? I am installing a stage 3 for my 1994 80 series and having some issues figuring out where to run the hose and valve.

Who's running their complete suspension kit?

iconvehicledynamics.com/shop/complete-suspension-systems/713-1991-1997-toyota-land-cruiser-80series-3-suspension-system-stage1.html

-What are your impressions of it?
-How is the ride quality compared to stock or other spring/ shock combos you've used?

Over Thanksgiving I installed the Stage 1, 3” kit listed in your link on my DD LX450. I purchased the system as the “Treat Yourself Kit” from Delta VS. It came with new radius arms, extended brake lines and front sway bar drops. I made rear bump stop extensions and purchased rear sway bar extensions from Man-A-Fre.

I drove the rig for a year + on the stock (21yr old) springs with replacement OEM equivalent shocks as the shocks it came with were whipped.

Based on before and after measurements, the lift was 3.5” over the sagged out original springs.

The ride is much more truck-ish, quite firm. For example, when I go over a speed bump at the same speed I used to, my tool boxes jump off the floor, they didn’t used to do that. Around town the ride is firmer, but at the same time more responsive, railroad tracks don’t upset the vehicle as much as they used to. At 70mph there's a touch more float, but not out of control feeling, its comfortable. When crawling around obstacles the body doesn’t move as much as it used to, so the axles are articulating more.

Extra weight being carried is a set of WKOR sliders (150#), my tool boxes (about 100#) and miscellaneous stuff like jumper cables and such. When I throw a few boys from work in it for a lunch run, it smooths out a little, but still firm. It's going to be a great set up for camping and exploring.

It feels better to me, but I like trucks. It drives and handles like a truck, not like an overgrown grocery-getter.

One down side, my :princess: has a sore knee and getting in and out now is an issue, gonna need to make a "mounting block" that fits in the back seat.

Last edited:
Reviving thread. On the rear shock. When installing the lower bolt. Icon come with 2 metal spacers do you use 1 in front and one in the back?

Yes, they support the bushing.

Here are some pictures. 285s looks small on it. I am wondering if i can fit 37s without trimming.

View attachment 1276929

View attachment 1276930

View attachment 1276931

View attachment 1276932
You won't clear 37s with your factory bumpers, running boards, mud flaps. I have been down that road with your 2.5-3" Icon lift. You will need longer front/rear control arms, panhards if needed, tons of trimming on the fender flares. remove mud flaps, running boards, etc. considering if you want full articulation without rubbing.

You won't clear 37s with your factory bumpers, running boards, mud flaps. I have been down that road with your 2.5-3" Icon lift. You will need longer front/rear control arms, panhards if needed, tons of trimming on the fender flares. remove mud flaps, running boards, etc. considering if you want full articulation without rubbing.
You don’t need longer control arms or an adjustable panhard. You just need to trim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom