I need help re-wiring. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
instagram.com
Hi, I am getting desperate for a wiring solution. My engine is getting machined at the moment and I will have it back in a few weeks. I want to have my FJ40 (1973 for context) re-wired by then.

Right tow, everything is a mess. Previous owners screwed up all of the wiring under the hood, and on top of that, my turn signal and brake lights no longer work. So I think it's time for a complete rewire.

I have no idea what I am doing, but I hear "Painless wiring solutions" used to have a very good and intuitive kit. Unfortunately, they said they discontinued the vehicle-specific kit and they recommended I buy a generic kit from them.

I have no idea what to do. If anybody knows where I can find one of the discontinued Painless kits, I'd be very happy. Please help me out... I appreciate all input and suggestions. Thank you!

If you are patient, diligent, have the desire to read wire schematics and learn how the Toyota circuits 'work' then a painless kit is an option. If you are not all of the above then a painless kit will drive you insane and it might not ever work as it should. They never really had a 'kit' that was plug and play.

Your best option would be to have Mark (@Coolerman) build you a replacement harness. You might have to wait but It's worth it.

If you are patient, diligent, have the desire to read wire schematics and learn how the Toyota circuits 'work' then a painless kit is an option. If you are not all of the above then a painless kit will drive you insane and it might not ever work as it should. They never really had a 'kit' that was plug and play.

Your best option would be to have Mark (@Coolerman) build you a replacement harness. You might have to wait but It's worth it.
He says he can't build a new one for a 73. Also he can't start until sometime in September.

He says he can't build a new one for a 73. Also he can't start until sometime in September.

Could he repair yours? Waiting until September could be worse!

Ez-wire makes a similar 'kit' that is a little cheaper. You're essentially getting a 14 circuit system with labeled wires. You then will need to source period correct connectors, etc. Its close to building a harness from almost scratch.

I am powering through generic harness going into a 69. It is a challenge.

I also have a Coolerman restored harness waiting for our '72 to go back on the chassis. The coolerman harness is hands down better quality and will save time, money as well as adding value to your rig. Well worth waiting until Sept.

Try posting a “want” classified ad, for a used ‘73 wiring harness. You can always work on building a new harness later, if need be...

Your rear lights... are they ALL out? If so, is the rear harness attached to the main harness?

Unless your existing wiring is really messed up, you should be able to work with it and the schematics to make it all work. In that regard, I would guess the vast majority of your existing wiring is okay; maybe just missing connection points and the most likely culprit--bad grounds.

@Coolerman will sell you all the wires, connectors and tape that you need to make your own.

If you have the existing wire harness (that is shot) it is easy to make a new one using the old one as a template.

I did exactly that and Coolerman was pretty quick to get my order in the mail. It's a lot of wrapping of the tape but you will have a very good understanding of your electrical system if you do it yourself.

Used stock harness in great shape or at least out of a vehicle so you can inspect it is way easier to mess with than any wiring kit. Responded to your PM. Also turn signal and brake lights are normal issues caused by bad grounds. Or dirty connections.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom