I have killed the cabin drone. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had a horrible cabin drone at a stop while the engine is at 600rpm's. Here is exactly what I've done over the course of a year, so someone else can follow my footsteps. All OEM parts.
First I did a tune up on the engine, this included maf cleaning, throttle body cleaning, air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, inspected coils. Engine needs to be running well, I average 15 to 16 mpgs.
Next I did engine mounts and transmission mount. Pain in the butt.
This weekend I pulled the trailer hitch mount from the back, weighs probably 60 Pounds. This truck is my play truck, if I need to pull I will use my Z71.
After that I put towels on top of the spare and pulled it to the rear as far as I could and tighten.
After that I replaced all the nuts, bolts, gaskets on the exhaust, loosened everything and tighten back to spec from front to back. Also checked gaps of hangers.
After that I placed a after market exhaust dampener on the rear of the muffler. Huge improvement.
Today I added the frame weight thing on the passenger side of truck. This was the final nail in the coffin. I've done multiple runs and it's super quite in the cab, incredible difference.
I basically followed the TSB on exhaust boom, with a few tweaks. By no means is everything I've done necessary. If I were to do everything over again I would start with the frame weight.

Frame weight

20190224_083410.jpg

Good job on another ocd battle. Have a question for you, what size tires are those ko2? And is there any issue with noise or vibration from those over stock? I’m planning on going with those on mine,but afraid I will get them on there and they will be noisy and drive me nuts.

Did you pay in the neighborhood of $350 for the engine mounts? BTW, the rear mount is different for an 05 (just making a point to double ensure parts are transferable between different years)

Good job on another ocd battle. Have a question for you, what size tires are those ko2? And is there any issue with noise or vibration from those over stock? I’m planning on going with those on mine,but afraid I will get them on there and they will be noisy and drive me nuts.
33's. These LC's came stock with really nice road tires, will you tell a diff, IDK? I could. Ive had several sets of Ko2's on diff 4x4's, they are great tires, not good in mud though. You can hear a little bit of road noise, but not much, at least not enough to drive you nuts. Now a true MT like Toyo Open Country, will be a lot nosier, I had a set of those on my Z and they are the best tire ive ever owned. If I keep this LC for another round of tires, I will roll Toyo MT tires.

I shouldn't have thrown that thing away! I will see if I can find someone selling a takeoff
Yeah It blows my mind reading though all the threads and everybody makes fun of the weight and says, take if off and throw it in the garbage. If you follow all the steps on the TSB for exhaust boom, it will fix the drone, and the weight plays a huge part! My mind was blown when I put it on and it actually help, that was the last thing I thought would help the drone.

Last edited:
Did you pay in the neighborhood of $350 for the engine mounts? BTW, the rear mount is different for an 05 (just making a point to double ensure parts are transferable between different years)
Yes 350 shipped sounds about right. Yeah always double check part numbers as they changed throughout years.

Truck looks great, but you should take off that frame weight and throw it in the trash. :p

Seriously though, when I think drone, I think of an annoying exhaust note typically at highway speeds. Was it a noise, vibration, or a combination of the two you had at 600rpms?

Truck looks great, but you should take off that frame weight and throw it in the trash. :p

Seriously though, when I think drone, I think of an annoying exhaust note typically at highway speeds. Was it a noise, vibration, or a combination of the two you had at 600rpms?
Drone may not be the best description. Here is a better one: Low buzz or hum that increases in frequency and pitch at a stop, it builds and builds. It has to do with the engine and exhaust transmitting noise through the frame. Its obvious our series of land cruisers had a problem with this for the TSB to come out and Engineers to find a fix. They didnt add that god awful weight cause it looks cool. I can say this, not ever 100 series has this issue, if they do, they might not notice it. Until they read this. :)

Drone may not be the best description. Here is a better one: Low buzz or hum that increases in frequency and pitch at a stop, it builds and builds. It has to do with the engine and exhaust transmitting noise through the frame. Its obvious our series of land cruisers had a problem with this for the TSB to come out and Engineers to find a fix. They didnt add that god awful weight cause it looks cool. I can say this, not ever 100 series has this issue, if they do, they might not notice it. Until they read this. :)

Thanks for the clarification 👍

Yeah It blows my mind reading though all the threads and everybody makes fun of the weight and says, take if off and throw it in the garbage. If you follow all the steps on the TSB for exhaust boom, it will fix the drone, and the weight plays a huge part! My mind was blown when I put it on and it actually help, that was the last thing I thought would help the drone.
I said the same thing. It's a $250 part, there's a reason for it... but only affecting some vehicles. I don't hear drone on mine either. Perhaps sliders are a suitable "frame damper weight" replacement ;)

where did you get the aftermarket exhaust dampener?
Mopar parts giant. Part no:52103612AA Exhaust Pipe Damper. You will need a pipe clamp. I used two to hold it on. Play with the position but it will help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom