I have killed the cabin drone. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bump for this 2.

I am having the same issue and would like to hear more solution cases.

Here is the dampner. Accomplishes the same thing as oem, but way cheaper.

View attachment 1912586
Hi scwill: I have a 2003 LC and I've been battling the idle drone monster as well. Finally found the TSB and your thread (thank you). CAn you share the manufacturer of the dampner in the image you shared? Been searching around online and can't seem to locate. Thanks again for the great info!!!

Hi scwill: I have a 2003 LC and I've been battling the idle drone monster as well. Finally found the TSB and your thread (thank you). CAn you share the manufacturer of the dampner in the image you shared? Been searching around online and can't seem to locate. Thanks again for the great info!!!
@pbuckner23 here is the PN for your 03' - 17581-70080. Cost about $58+shipping from www.toyotapartsdeal.com. You can also try www.partsouq.com, enter your VIN and you should find pretty much any part for your rig.

It looks to me like Procedure C in the TSB is to install a the same damper that is currently on the PS, on the DS. Right?

update...had my local dealer quote the prices for the TSB...came to $2171 (with labor extra). Called a local exhaust shop today and they've "never heard of this issue" and seemed utterly confused. I think I'll try to address on my own starting with the muffler dampner and the weights....engine mounts seems like something I would need a local shop to do. Confusing part is my drone isn't consistent---seems to happen when car is first cranked and then often dissappears for a while.

update...had my local dealer quote the prices for the TSB...came to $2171 (with labor extra). Called a local exhaust shop today and they've "never heard of this issue" and seemed utterly confused. I think I'll try to address on my own starting with the muffler dampner and the weights....engine mounts seems like something I would need a local shop to do. Confusing part is my drone isn't consistent---seems to happen when car is first cranked and then often dissappears for a while.
That could be a different rattle/drone/vibration.

My catalytic converter heat shield rattles audibly when accelerating after start up. Tightening with hose clamps kind of helps, but I'm still intermittently working on making that go away. The drone/vibration I'm feeling is not audible, but felt in the steering wheel.

Has anyone experienced the drone/vibration coming up thru the transfer case to the 4HI/4LO shift knob?

Here is my tale of woe:
I removed my DS dampener when I installed full Slee skid plates a couple years ago and that is when I first started to notice the harmonic vibration at certain RPMs. Typically when upshifting going uphill. I removed the center console and added Noico sound deadener and tightened the shifter bolts. Didn’t fix the issue. I then installed rubber washers between the skid plates at the bolt connections and had seemed to help, but still get it the vibration occasionally. It’s extremely annoying to the point I’ve considered having the t-case rebuilt. I still have the dampener but no attachment points with the skids.

I have some questions about this TSB procedure...

1. I have a passenger frame weight only. Does this mean the TSB was done or partially done? I don't see any mention of it in the service history from the Lexus dealership.
    1. The passenger weight is listed as step F (last step) in the procedure. Does this mean the dealer did everything else? Is it possible they didn't follow the proper order of repair?
  2. If i do need to do the rear exhaust damper myself, do I just order all of them and return the ones that don't help? Do I just order one and hope I get lucky?
  3. Any way for me to tell if the transmission damper was replaced other than doing a visual inspection?

I've had a horrible cabin drone at a stop while the engine is at 600rpm's. Here is exactly what I've done over the course of a year, so someone else can follow my footsteps. All OEM parts.
First I did a tune up on the engine, this included maf cleaning, throttle body cleaning, air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, inspected coils. Engine needs to be running well, I average 15 to 16 mpgs.
Next I did engine mounts and transmission mount. Pain in the butt.
This weekend I pulled the trailer hitch mount from the back, weighs probably 60 Pounds. This truck is my play truck, if I need to pull I will use my Z71.
After that I put towels on top of the spare and pulled it to the rear as far as I could and tighten.
After that I replaced all the nuts, bolts, gaskets on the exhaust, loosened everything and tighten back to spec from front to back. Also checked gaps of hangers.
After that I placed a after market exhaust dampener on the rear of the muffler. Huge improvement.
Today I added the frame weight thing on the passenger side of truck. This was the final nail in the coffin. I've done multiple runs and it's super quite in the cab, incredible difference.
I basically followed the TSB on exhaust boom, with a few tweaks. By no means is everything I've done necessary. If I were to do everything over again I would start with the frame weight.
Hi Scwill: Quick question..did you put the weight on the driver's side and then the passenger's...or just the passenger side? I put the weight on the driver's side and the boom was worse so moving to the passenger side so curious your approach. Thanks again for the excellent info around this issue!

Hi Scwill: Quick question..did you put the weight on the driver's side and then the passenger's...or just the passenger side? I put the weight on the driver's side and the boom was worse so moving to the passenger side so curious your approach. Thanks again for the excellent info around this issue!
My weight is on the passenger side. Hope this helps.

Has anyone experienced the drone/vibration coming up thru the transfer case to the 4HI/4LO shift knob?

Here is my tale of woe:
I removed my DS dampener when I installed full Slee skid plates a couple years ago and that is when I first started to notice the harmonic vibration at certain RPMs. Typically when upshifting going uphill. I removed the center console and added Noico sound deadener and tightened the shifter bolts. Didn’t fix the issue. I then installed rubber washers between the skid plates at the bolt connections and had seemed to help, but still get it the vibration occasionally. It’s extremely annoying to the point I’ve considered having the t-case rebuilt. I still have the dampener but no attachment points with the skids.

Pretty sure that knob is going to vibrate no matter what you do, there is nothing to fix, it's normal.

After installing sliders, I developed the same booming drone while stopped just below 600 rpm. Took off the damper on the passenger side (made things worse). Now I'm going to try and slap it on the drivers side and see if it helps. These dampers are tuned (literally called TMDs - Tuned Mass Dampers) and adding 100lbs of slider to the vibrating frame is going to seriously lower the resonant frequency. If switching to the driver side is fruitless, I just need to figure out how to add more mass to the damper and hope that does the trick.

After installing sliders, I developed the same booming drone while stopped just below 600 rpm. Took off the damper on the passenger side (made things worse). Now I'm going to try and slap it on the drivers side and see if it helps. These dampers are tuned (literally called TMDs - Tuned Mass Dampers) and adding 100lbs of slider to the vibrating frame is going to seriously lower the resonant frequency. If switching to the driver side is fruitless, I just need to figure out how to add more mass to the damper and hope that does the trick.

Yeah seems odd that adding sliders either doesn't help or makes it worse, that much weight should have dropped the resonance frequency quite a bit. I took off my passenger side TMD, it seems to have gotten worse. I'll also try switching it to the drivers side. My issue is only at 600 rpms. Wish I could just permanently bump the rpms to 650 or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom