I have killed the cabin drone. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I said the same thing. It's a $250 part, there's a reason for it... but only affecting some vehicles. I don't hear drone on mine either. Perhaps sliders are a suitable "frame damper weight" replacement ;)
Now im scared to buy sliders(that was my next mod), for 2 reasons, will it effect the frame in a negative way, and will it fit with stupid weight in place?

I said the same thing. It's a $250 part, there's a reason for it... but only affecting some vehicles. I don't hear drone on mine either. Perhaps sliders are a suitable "frame damper weight" replacement ;)
I know the slider comment was mostly in jest, but as I'm looking at the TSB, I wonder if it has some chance of helping since it appears that some weird resonance going on-- couldn't hanging 100 lbs of metal on the frame change it too??

And yes, I'm trying to find a way of knocking off the price of the $200 weight off a set a set of sliders, mentally.:)

Now im scared to buy sliders(that was my next mod), for 2 reasons, will it effect the frame in a negative way, and will it fit with stupid weight in place?

Slee's Slidersteps didn't interfere with the frame weights at all. I now have one on each side. The smaller one that everybody seems to have on the passenger's side, and the larger one from the TSB on the driver's side.

I know the slider comment was mostly in jest, but as I'm looking at the TSB, I wonder if it has some chance of helping since it appears that some weird resonance going on-- couldn't hanging 100 lbs of metal on the frame change it too??

And yes, I'm trying to find a way of knocking off the price of the $200 weight off a set a set of sliders, mentally.:)

Sliders didn't affect the exhaust boom (Vibration) on my 2001 LX470.

The only thing that stopped the boom (Vibration) were the items on the TSB.

Attachments

• LEXUS LX470 Exhasut Boom TSB.pdf
    252.5 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:
Great write up. Mine has developed the drone between buying it a month ago and driving it about 5 or 600 miles. Driving me nuts.....what is the part number for the frame weight? If it's $200 though I may just live with it.

The weight is listed on the TSB as 51259-60040. It lists for $319 and cheapest I've seen is $219, which seems crazy for a hunk of metal. I'll just keep my eyes open for one on a wrecked vehicle. So far my 'drone' is relatively minor. I changed out idler, fan bracket etc when I did the timing belt a few weeks ago, thinking that was more the sound I was getting. But after reading this, I think I have the exhaust boom-- or a mild case of it anyway.

The first step on the TSB is replacing the tail pipe, which is a $438 list part. Did those of you that fixed the 'boom' start with that, as directed? I'm thinking I'll skip that and do the other, cheaper, things first.

The weight is listed on the TSB as 51259-60040. It lists for $319 and cheapest I've seen is $219, which seems crazy for a hunk of metal. I'll just keep my eyes open for one on a wrecked vehicle. So far my 'drone' is relatively minor. I changed out idler, fan bracket etc when I did the timing belt a few weeks ago, thinking that was more the sound I was getting. But after reading this, I think I have the exhaust boom-- or a mild case of it anyway.

The first step on the TSB is replacing the tail pipe, which is a $438 list part. Did those of you that fixed the 'boom' start with that, as directed? I'm thinking I'll skip that and do the other, cheaper, things first.

I didn't go in the order that the TSB listed (Probably should have). The parts that made the biggest difference on mine was replacing the engine mounts. I started with those, then moved on. It did take all of the parts to completely defeat it.

The 51259-60040 frame weight is the large one for the driver's side (Pic attached). I'm not sure what the part number is for the smaller one on the passenger's side.

2001 LX470 Parts:

1. (6) 90080-17187 lock nuts
2. (6) 90177-A0004 lock nuts
3. Exhaust Pipe Flange gaskets @scwill listed previously
4. (1) 51543-60020 damper bracket
5. (1) 17581-70090 exhaust damper
6. (1) 17551-50091 insulator muffler
7. (1) 51259-60040 weight no. 4 cross
8. (1) 12371-50180 insulator engine
9. (2) 91626-61030 bolt w/washer
10. (2) 12361-50210 insulator engine
11. (1) 17405-50040 tail pipe sub assembly

Parts contact @Sam Stewart

51259-60040.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks. I have the engine/transmission mounts ordered. I've still got a little 'clunk' when taking off from stop that I hope I can fix with the mounts, so maybe I'll see some benefit with the engine idle in drive sounds/vibration. Mine isn't very bad so maybe with some luck I can cure both with the mounts.

I have the cabin drone issue on my 2001 LX. A quick question, is this merely a nuisance, or can leaving this alone cause any actual damage to components?
I'd like to get the parts to fix it, but will probably wait until later in the year unless there are consequences.

I have the cabin drone issue on my 2001 LX. A quick question, is this merely a nuisance, or can leaving this alone cause any actual damage to components?
I'd like to get the parts to fix it, but will probably wait until later in the year unless there are consequences.
[/QUOT
No. Its not going to cause damage to anything. Its exactly what you called it, a nuisance. Just vibrations through the frame, some have it, some dont. Some people notice it, some dont, and some just dont care. Start with the weight, believe it or not it truely helps, like big time. I cured my drone but closely following the TSB, now im about to buy sliders to mount on the frame, lol.

For those of you that have added the driver side frame weight, is this weight the same one as the passenger side frame weight? And does anyone have a part number for it? And if the frame does not have the welded nut is there a OEM way to attach it? I'm finally starting to deal with this on my 2000 100 series.

There are 2 different style weights.
You need to read post #24 on this thread. Read the TSIB on exhaust boom, read it, it will answer your questions.

There's a TSB attached above that I believe answers your questions. Get ready for some sticker shock on the hunk of metal frame weight.

I read the TSB and tried to buy the weight from Toyota using the Lexus part number but I may have ordered the passenger side weight that I already have. I just looked the part up online and found it at Lexus part site for the same as I paid from Toyota for the passenger side weight. I will return the Toyota weight and buy the Lexus weight, unless they are not different. But it sounds like they are.

HUH... I took my frame weight off the day before my camping trip to the mountains and didn't notice any noise difference, but I did get some interesting vibration/shimmys at freeway speed that came and went.

I bought a 2006 LC three years ago, had 190k miles and now 215k. Recently there is a vibration, that’s the term I’d use, when stopped and I’m in drive - shifting to neutral it goes away. It’s a vibration that causes a hum/rattle in the vehicle and it does seem like a resonance thing. Is the TSB just for LX or all 100 serious? A $200+ weight as a trial fix seems non idea, I’m just skeptical. For others who had it fix their issues - would you term your issues a vibration at stop/idle that would go away in neutral?

Last edited:
Mine only occurred at a very specific RPM, shifting to neutral or a tiny bit of throttle in drive made it disappear. I replaced my muffler with the Walker that's discussed around the site and it went away.

FWIW The frame weight is called a "Mass Damper".

It's more of a subtle moan- rather than a drone. NVH is really subjective, some people's hearing and awareness of sounds are more sensitive than others. If you wanted to, I think you can replicate a frame weight for a lot less $$ and mount something on the side of the frame in the same area so its not having below VS mounted along the bottom of the frame. Keep in mind if you have full aftermarket skids- under the truck, those seem to act as amplifiers of exhaust, engine and transmission NVH. Not sure if sliders might act as huge frame weights though.

Adding dampening the exhaust system helps mitigate some exhaust system resonance but it doesn't completely solve the harmonic that travels through the frame. I believe that in part the harmonic comes from the balance & tune of the engine, flywheel balance (or lack of balance to flywheel), torque converter, TC & transmission and also exhaust; all which seem to collect and resonate through the frame.

When I looked at the exhaust system on my RAM pick up I noticed the rubber exhaust dampers and started experimenting with placing the same damper in various spots on the 100 series exhaust system a few years ago and noticed an improvement but not completely resolved. Currently I have 2 of the mopar dampers mounted on the exhaust system- 1 just after the y-pipe and one back just forward of the resonator. I also run a 24" magna-flow stainless muffler so it has a different effect on exhaust flow and sound.

My RAM pick up also has a "mass damper " mounted to the frame. It's located on the outside of the frame behind the front wheel. For $30-$40 you could experiment with one of these. You'd just need to fabricate a mounting bracket and weld or use nutserts to mount it to the frame.
Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 10.06.39 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 10.06.54 AM.png

IMG_4708.JPG

IMG_4709.JPG

You know, mine seems to have gotten worse recently - I did install a front skid plate from a popular vendor on here about 4 months ago. Not blaming the skid plate by itself, it's worked for many and I like. But perhaps just enough of a weight difference or some other contribution to making this a resonance thing. Also have headers and after market cat back but that's been on for a couple years.

Mopar part 52103612AA is no longer available for sale (discontinued). Does anyone know if there is a replacement part?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom