I Didn't Know Jack... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Brian/99uzj100

SILVER Star
Threads
I didn't know much about Land Cruiser jacks until I read the excellent thread by @wscbill "Toyota Jacks"
I just knew I wanted one, at least from the '70's.

When I purchased my 40 about 18 years ago it didn't have a jack, extensions, handle, jack holder or extension holders, just oem bolts in the floor.

I found a jack, extensions, and handle in my price range (thanks @hyhpe ) and a jack holder plus extension holders at Classic Cruisers. A little dinged up, but in great shape.
IMG_2492.jpg

IMG_2493.JPG

Cleaned and ready for grease:
IMG_2496.JPG

School bus yellow is pretty close:
IMG_2500.JPG

After stripping the OEM paint off, I liked the color of the raw cast iron so much that I just sprayed it with 3 coats of matte clear and called it good.

IMG_2509.JPG

Checking the date code (6 H) in the Toyota Jacks thread, I really lucked out. My jack was made in "6" =1976
and "H" = August, for a 1977 Land Cruiser. Sooo close to my Feb. '76 rig.

IMG_2512.JPG

IMG_2513.JPG

IMG_2511.JPG

IMG_2533.JPG
IMG_2558.JPG

EDIT: I forgot to thank @davework (Overland Metric) for the stainless bolts, PERFECT!

Last edited:
Nice. People used to give these jacks away and now they are collector's items. They make the best portable jack stands and every wheeler should have 2. Even the later ones are excellent, just not quite as classy.

Nice restoration!

Nice. People used to give these jacks away and now they are collector's items. They make the best portable jack stands and every wheeler should have 2. Even the later ones are excellent, just not quite as classy.

Nice restoration!

2??? Uh oh...
I almost ordered a new one from Amayama Japan, and was going to just change the color from brown to yellow.

If I ever return my 40's color back to the original 416 Dune Beige, from the current P.O.S. (Previous Owner Silver) paint, I'll probably repaint the jack and accessories school bus yellow.

So you did a classy restore here and looks like you media blasted it to clean it up. I like it.

I'm lazier than that, and after disassembly, cleaning and reassembly, I just sprayed with "implement" yellow paint which adheres and lasts much better than you would think for a $5 can of spray paint.

Regarding the newer ones, they started in roughly '79. It may say in the jack thread. The body is formed steel not cast, and are just as functional and 1/2 as nice. There was even a transition where the base was still cast and the body was formed steel.

And if you haven't already, get the jack accessory from @LandCruiserPhil . Definitely stabilizes the jack under the axle well and is small and easy to carry. 100% effective.

For those here on the forum like @John McVicker that live on the east side of the Sierra, there is one of these jacks, that appears to be this same era, in a window front on main street in Bridgeport California. It's window art in an abandoned garage on the east side of 395. It would be fun to rescue that one and put it back in action. I look at it everytime I'm headed to Death Valley.

I like the raw finish! Nice choice!

So you did a classy restore here and looks like you media blasted it to clean it up. I like it.

I'm lazier than that, and after disassembly, cleaning and reassembly, I just sprayed with "implement" yellow paint which adheres and lasts much better than you would think for a $5 can of spray paint.

Regarding the newer ones, they started in roughly '79. It may say in the jack thread. The body is formed steel not cast, and are just as functional and 1/2 as nice. There was even a transition where the base was still cast and the body was formed steel.

And if you haven't already, get the jack accessory from @LandCruiserPhil . Definitely stabilizes the jack under the axle well and is small and easy to carry. 100% effective.

For those here on the forum like @John McVicker that live on the east side of the Sierra, there is one of these jacks, that appears to be this same era, in a window front on main street in Bridgeport California. It's window art in an abandoned garage on the east side of 395. It would be fun to rescue that one and put it back in action. I look at it everytime I'm headed to Death Valley.

Thanks for the heads up on the jack accessory, I'll check it out.
No media blasting on my jack resto, just sand paper, a stainless steel toothbrush, brake cleaner and elbow grease. I'm retired, so I have more time than money.

@Brian/99uzj100 That is beautiful.

You gotta admit tho, we are indeed a crazy bunch. I truly think what you have there is stunningly beautiful. However, I could show that picture to any number of my friends...they’d look at it, shrug there shoulders and wonder what the Sam Hell is wrong with me.🤷 Good move on not repainting it.

@Cruiserdrew I was unaware of that score you mentioned up in Bridgeport. I’m taking my 4X Club up Kavanaugh Ridge in late August and will be doing a pre-run in mid August. Will make it a point to look for it while in Bridgeport.

Again Brian, good work.👍🎯

@Cruiserdrew I was unaware of that score you mentioned up in Bridgeport. I’m taking my 4X Club up Kavanaugh Ridge in late August and will be doing a pre-run in mid August. Will make it a point to look for it while in Bridgeport.

Look for it in the white garage building directly across the street from the Bridgeport Inn. I hope you can get it. Probably a give away if you knew who to ask.

Here are 3 of mine.
'76 Jack and rods (my 40 started life as a 76) 6 H markings on the collar
'84 FJ60 jack
'89 FJ62 jack (truck build date 12/88)

My repainted '78 jack is MIA right now. Likely under other equally critical Toyota parts!

@LandCruiserPhil 's jack safety equipment pictured for clarity on the right side of the pic

You can see how they got less cool as the years went by. The 84 though still has the original cast base, sadly gone by 89. THe screw extension also went away at some point before 84-likely in 79.

I got the 97 jack out and was going to include it but it's an even cheaper version of the 89 jack with fully welded body-meaning you can't disassemble and repair.

4136C981-4B0E-4B8B-B3CE-E088ED21E68E.jpeg
FCF14808-7A1B-41C4-B751-E2CDF9593C4C.jpeg

Last edited:
@Brian/99uzj100 That is beautiful.

You gotta admit tho, we are indeed a crazy bunch. I truly think what you have there is stunningly beautiful. However, I could show that picture to any number of my friends...they’d look at it, shrug there shoulders and wonder what the Sam Hell is wrong with me.🤷 Good move on not repainting it.

Again Brian, good work.👍🎯

Thank you for the kind words.
Yes we are a little crazy.
When I showed the jack "in the raw" to my wife and daughters (19 & 21) and told them I liked it so much that I wasn't going to paint it, they looked at me like I was holding something I picked up after my dog.
My wife and daughters are involuntary Cruiser Heads though, they are constantly sending me pics of different Cruisers they see, and most of the time getting the series right.
My younger daughter was really excited the other day when she spotted a two tone RHD 70 series with a roof rack!

Here are 3 of mine.
'76 Jack and rods (my 40 started life as a 76) 6 H markings on the collar
'84 FJ60 jack
'89 FJ62 jack (truck build date 12/88)

My repainted '78 jack is MIA right now. Likely under other equally critical Toyota parts!

@LandCruiserPhil 's jack safety equipment pictured for clarity on the right side of the pic

You can see how they got less cool as the years went by. The 84 though still has the original cast base, sadly gone by 89. THe screw extension also went away at some point before 84-likely in 79.

I got the 97 jack out and was going to include it but it's an even cheaper version of the 89 jack with fully welded body-meaning you can't disassemble and repair.

View attachment 2366457View attachment 2366458

Thanks @Cruiserdrew for noting our Jack adapter. Pictured above is an early model since then we offer several sized adapters with some upgrades and now with Zinc coating. Toyota jacks are are the bench mark for all others.

1594335192215.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom