HZJ77 door dome light issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hoping someone could help me diagnose my dome light issue. My dome lights work when in the on position, but when in door, only the passenger front comes on with the door open, the other three do not. The indicator light on the dash also only works for the one door. I've determined it is not the courtesy switches as grounding directly does not work either.

I have been pouring over the electrical diagrams, without ripping apart all the wiring looms and chasing down each wire, the diodes shown in the diagrams caught my attention. Read some other threads, where on the 80 series these were culprits to similar dome light issue.

diode 2.pdf

I am having trouble locating these diodes, they are marked as D8 and D9. Appear to be under the dash but can't seem to find them, visibility is not great there.

diode.pdf

Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• diode.pdf
    92.9 KB · Views: 150
  • diode 2.pdf
    191.4 KB · Views: 115
Testing the button on the door that activates the lights with a multimeter is probably the easiest place to start

Testing the button on the door that activates the lights with a multimeter is probably the easiest place to start

Hello,

x2.

Door switches get dirty with age. Removing them and having them cleaned is a good start.

Some other things to consider.

The dash light contacts tend to fail in old age. Remove the bulb, clean the contacts and test. Replace the bulb and try again. Bulb grease is your friend.

If I remember correctly, the door light cable is green with white stripes. It is part of the harness that passes above the fuse box. It is prone to chafing, and may be broken. Botched car alarm installations often damage this cable.

Remove the fuse box panel and check the harness for cut cables.

Hope this helps.

Juan

Thanks, appears I had a compound problem. The three switches were bad and there is a short somewhere for the driver side lights. Replaced all the switches and ran a wire from the passenger side switch to the driver side, bypassing the short. Now all of them work, not the ideal fix but a fix nonetheless

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom