Hydro boost brake conversion (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jjdeneen918

SILVER Star
Threads
I recall a write up about a member installing a hydro boost brake conversion from this company.

Does anyone know where that thread went?
does anyone have any direct knowledge or experience with this company?
There are several drop down menus with an up charge in prices for master cylinders & mounting options. Any knowledge on what is better or necessary or best for our FZJ80’s?

my brake booster is toast & OEM-price for brake booster replacement is $627.54.

I’m wondering if the conversion is worth the additional cost.

thanks guys.

Plenty of members have refurbished their stock brake system and after removing ABS ,and after properly bleeding the system, report “good” results and brakes that made them happy. This was not the case for me and since I had prior experience converting a different rig to hydro boost ,and that experience was positive, I decide to just do the hydro booster. Perhaps the main reason I did this was so I could install a larger bore MC in order to shorten pedal stroke.

I’ve been running this set up with 37” tires now for several months on and off road and I have no regrets. Rock ledges and drops no longer require that quick double or triple pump of the brake pedal to keep my rig under total control. Feel free to hit me up with any questions.

Thank you Balilocks. This was the exact thread I was looking for. Why google didn’t find it I’m not sure.

I didn’t realize I had posted so many questions in that thread. Searching my posts may have helped locate it too.

I already have the Wits End ABSsensor delete kit. I had bought a wile oof proportioning valve from FlyinMiata website. I’m not sure if it’s the same you have.
was that part of you “kit” from brake service? If not,do you have a part number?

Baldilocks:

which mounting set up did you select?
There are a few options, which is best?
8D08B4F2-1ADE-4EA0-8948-2A796C316E04.png

do you have the part number for the Wilwood proportioning valve? I have this one, is it the same?

BD5BCD6F-DFAD-44E1-9D4E-1A618459B3C8.png

Baldilocks:
Do you have a link to the brake line kit you bought from EBay?

part number for the in-line filter?

Joey @WitsEnd, I already have your ABS sensor delete kit & your turbo kit 👍🏻😁
I don’t think I need anything on your end.

but I may get your power steering cooling system in thevery near future. Or I may get it now if you would think it’s way more practical to do it now?

I already have the high pressure Rein hose & low pressure return line.

I also have the Appleton finned power steering reservoir that I found used on EBay.
Joey, did you ever install yours on any of your 80’s? What did you do for a bracket&/or mounting options?

if I go this route, I wouldn’t have to use the inline filer that Baldilocks used, correct?
02CEAA7B-80D3-4AF5-B603-3541DFD6E334.jpeg

indeed!! 😁 Chat we shall.

I already cut off an OEM power steering mounting bracket from a spare reservoir. Just a simple plate with holes to mount to the OEM bracket & then just decide how long to make the plate to determine how far down to drill another two holes to mate the Appleton reservoir. Just to make it clear the hood.

That part should be simple.

figuring out hoses, routing, lengths, connectors, & how all that goes I will have to figure out.
I’m not sure how adding hydro boost (supply & return I assume) hoses would adapt with the hoses to route to the hydro booster & back & mate up with your cooler kit.
would I end up butchering your cooling upgrade hoses or would it just be an additional couple hoses to add?

if we could figure out all the correct hoses to adapt your cooling kit & hoses necessary to also adapt to the hydro booster, that would be rad.

It could be an upgrade to your cooling kit that you could offer to the masses. 😉
I’m assuming it would just be a few extra hoses & connections hardware?

I would like to hear your thoughts.

Last edited:
A photo of my receipt:
D4EF8370-671C-4EE1-9FA4-6ADBC5C6D986.jpeg

Your proportioning valve appears to be the same one but, as you can see on the receipt, mine came as a kit with a bracket to mount it to MC mount on the booster.

My MC is the same Wilwood that is listed in the photo you posted earlier. Hoses are purely your choice.

Don’t take me wrong here, but, based on the questions you are asking and knowing that you have gone through my thread more than once, I’m not sure that this is a project you want to undertake. I think that the mystery of what is before me when I embark on such a project is what makes it exciting and solving those mystery’s along that path are what makes the effort worthwhile and the end result quite satisfying.

Thank you for the receipt info Baldilocks.
my question about the mounting options is what is currently confusing me. Do you recall which you went with or the best or the difference between them?

as fordoing theinstall, I’ll do what I feel I am confident in completing. I can make brackets, drill & tap for coolers, replace/install hoses.

brake lines I am not knowledgeable with. I have no experience in bending, cutting, flaring lines. That I will most likely have done & bleed & pressurize the system.

I’m most looking for input ongetting the correct parts, all the parts at once so I’m not having down time half way through the conversion & all that hassle.

as for the LSVPat the rear, did you just remove & replace it with a “T” fitting?

Mounting options for the booster?

Oh yeah, you want the firewall mount. Assuming you have the 1fz engine, you will have to mount the booster upside down so you might ask Matt to put an indexing slot into the mount plate hole 180* from what it would normally come with. Not a big deal to do it yourself with a file but would be one less thing for you to do.

Baldilocks, can you describe what the 4 hoses are/where they go in the kit? I’m considering including @WitsEnd Power Steering cooler kit @ the Appleton PS Reservoir with the install.

I don’t want to duplicate parts/hoses if I can help it.

do any of the hoses replace the OEM hoses, or are the all additional?

A routing schematic will come with your kit. The high pressure hoses are two and you route directly from the pump to the booster and then from the booster to the steering box.

The hoses from the box to the cooler and from the cooler to the reservoir are low pressure and I used Gates transmission cooler hose with regular hose clamps which have always worked for me. If Joey’s cooler kit comes with hoses then you will bet set in that regard.

What won’t come in your kit from power brake system’s is the two unions that you will need for the steering box to convertfrom inverted flare to AN for the hose conecction to the box. You will need one 16mm and one 17mm. This link shows an example of the 17mm size. You will also convert to this set up on the pressure port of the pump but that adapter will be in your kit. You will be provided banjo fittings to connect the hoses to the in/out ports of the booster.

A routing schematic will come with your kit. The high pressure hoses are two and you route directly from the pump to the booster and then from the booster to the steering box.

The hoses from the box to the cooler and from the cooler to the reservoir are low pressure and I used Gates transmission cooler hose with regular hose clamps which have always worked for me. If Joey’s cooler kit comes with hoses then you will bet set in that regard.

What won’t come in your kit from power brake system’s is the two unions that you will need for the steering box to convertfrom inverted flare to AN for the hose conecction to the box. You will need one 16mm and one 17mm. This link shows an example of the 17mm size. You will also convert to this set up on the pressure port of the pump but that adapter will be in your kit. You will be provided banjo fittings to connect the hoses to the in/out ports of the booster.

so it sounds like Ineed to choose only the 2 stainless high pressure lines, not all 4 from power brake service.

do the two SS high pressure lines (going to & coming from the hydro booster). Do those replace the one OEM high pressure line?

so it sounds like Ineed to choose only the 2 stainless high pressure lines, not all 4 from power brake service.

do the two SS high pressure lines (going to & coming from the hydro booster). Do those replace the one OEM high pressure line?
Yes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom