How to Desmog an FJ60 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There isn't any talk of the EGR Cooler in this de-smog instruction manual. ?? What up with that.

It's removed with the egr. Not sure what is needed to explain, two bolts and the cooler comes off the block, or are you looking for that kind of information?

A de-smog, done right while keeping evap and fuel cut solenoid is one of the best ways to go.

pfCuWcz.jpg

It seems like there may be another port plug needed for that . I’d not fine

Nope! Section 1.1, 1.3 and 3.3.5 mention what is needed to do with EGR assembly, granted it does not directly state removing the cooler. The port on the rear exhaust manifold runner needs to be capped and the port on the egr/pcv hardline needs to be capped, the rest is removed.

Usually the egr cooler hoses are damn near impossible to remove so they are removed as a whole with the egr. Hope that clarifies?

It's removed with the egr. Not sure what is needed to explain, two bolts and the cooler comes off the block, or are you looking for that kind of information?

A de-smog, done right while keeping evap and fuel cut solenoid is one of the best ways to go.

pfCuWcz.jpg

Desmog is the way to go for sure. This manual saved me. You will learn a lot about your truck, and feel accomplished when you finish the job. I've got all the Jim C stuff, it works great!

Not to hijack thread.. but - I just got a BJ60 air cleaner to mount a snorkel. I am looking for the piece that mounts above carb, with hose running to air cleaner. Where did you find that piece? Your set up is exactly what I am trying to achieve.

Smog equipment seems to me to be a political mandate to mask the symptoms of a much bigger problem. Politicians are not engineers. Neither am I.
However, a well tuned motor is a clean running motor. Unfortunately, the fj60 is one of the worst victim of Congress. The weakest point of the 60 are the emissions systems (and the rust). Anyway, if your emissions system is failing you have a responsibility to make it run clean and efficient as possible. Desmogging can (in some cases) actually help your driving experience and burn cleaner.

The problem is not emissions. The problem is the 2F or even the 3FE engines are an ancient design that just are not efficient and trying to make them compliant with emissions. Regulations requires a lot of work. Easier with the fuel injection on the 3FE but still problematic hence the air pumps and egr. Though to be fair EGR is still common even in modern vehicles.

pfCuWcz.jpg

No A/C .... Ouch . Looks amazing under the hood though I’m fantasizing about de-smoging !

I took what I thought was the easy way out. I bought the complete exhaust from Mana Fre. Great system really, but it's important to match clearances of the flanges of the intake to the exhaust flange. It tidied things up. A clean unrestricted intake and exhaust with perfect timing are the keystone and if you are not challenged by that, quit your day job. Ideal air fuel ratio with perfect timing and spark seams easy enough, but better have some beers ready for when you are close but not good enough. Desmogging is major surgery.

Though to be fair EGR is still common even in modern vehicles.

Unfortunetly yes still in "modern" rigs, the newer semis at work have it and what a pain to deal with, along with other bits that are now required to be compliant. Even construction equipment that is tier 4 compliant.

Unfortunetly yes still in "modern" rigs, the newer semis at work have it and what a pain to deal with, along with other bits that are now required to be compliant. Even construction equipment that is tier 4 compliant.

when I bought my kubota a couple of years ago the dealer highly recommended I go with the 26hp vs the 30 because the 26 had no emissions stuff and the 30’s had the regen. They had a lot of issues with the regen and ended up buying a bunch back.

I just ordered TLC's desmog equipment and the Holley sniper kit from Mosley. Will this guide work the same for the sniper as it does for a stock carb or will I need to do anything different? Also can anyone recommend new performance headers and high flow cat that works well with the desmog and efi for even extra power? Not sure if I wanna remove the CAT all together I would assume it would be super stinky no?

Last edited:
Sniper is completely different. Just put the sniper on and the desmog kit and all other comes off.

except for the evap canister....you should keep that.

Sniper is completely different. Just put the sniper on and the desmog kit and all other comes off.

except for the evap canister....you should keep that.

ok cool yeah this pic on the mosley site of a complete job looks like its all gone. Such a nice simpler set up. On a side note anyone know where to get an air filter setup like this? I'd love to swap out the oem one that covers most of the valve cover

FJ60+Sniper.jpg

I just ordered TLC's desmog equipment and the Holley sniper kit from Mosley. Will this guide work the same for the sniper as it does for a stock carb or will I need to do anything different? Also can anyone recommend new performance headers and high flow cat that works well with the desmog and efi for even extra power? Not sure if I wanna remove the CAT all together I would assume it would be super stinky no?

If your location is accurate it's not possible to 'Legally' do this conversion unless you have ways of avoiding smog tests.

The Toyota 3F intake looks similar but few around the states of any. Not sure what carb hat is being used on top of that sniper unit. Probably just check with Holley to find out which hat fits the sniper.

Last edited:
Does your stock tach still work ?
Yes it does
Interesting how does it plug into the Sniper ?

The stock tach is driven by the signal wire off the ignitor/coil unit. It has nothing to do with the carb.

So I see they have this kit available

Which is obviously more money that JimC's stuff but it seems like it has a little more to it than what JimC is selling. The EGR blank off plate has a tap for the PCV valve and I assume that would make life easier ??
The MAF EGR delete involves replacing the sideplate on the intake manifold with a new piece that eliminates the EGR pipe and the PCV pipe. A 90* barb is supplied to remake the PCV connection. It also involves removing the cooling fan temp sensor, several small bolts that are likely galvanically corroded into the aluminum manifold and replacing the PCV hose with a new one.

The TLC EGR delete is removing the EGR valve from the intake pipe and threading in a custom machined metric brass plug.

The TLC system is engineered to make the job as easy as possible.
The MAF system is less expensive to make.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom