How to convert 80 to IFS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I do think if you did IFS and IRS with portal hubs like a humvee-it's be a cool one off! Or a trophy style 80 series desert racer.....
Now that you mention it, wouldn't be a first

 
Admin Kick this guy out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl:
 
For a smoother ride.
Sure, and while you're in there swap in a 1.9 TDI for better milage.
To swap in IFS, first read all the threads about people swapping solid axles into their IFS rigs and then do everything backwards.
The 80 series has a great suspension as is; try a mile in a 55 series and you'll appreciate that. If you need a smoother ride maybe let a few pounds of air out of your tires or sell it to someone worthy.
A solid front axle is something to be proud of, a badge of honor. There is a large semi-organized run held every year held just to celebrate the solid front axle.
If you wheel your rig you will come to love that front end for what it can do, any perceived short-comings will seem much less important. Flaunt your front axle, flex your rig and show it off, let everyone know.

1782694669780.webp
 

How to convert 80 to IFS​





Why ask then?
That is what I was just asking myself after reading their last post. Guess someone was bored and figured/knew it would bait a lot of the board into a frenzy of responses.
 
It’s doable but I think I’d focus on getting a well tuned set of shocks first. Hit up accutune and have them send you a set of tuned fox 2.5s. If that doesn’t do it for you yet, talk to a shock guy in your area and have him dial it in even more.

If none of that is enough open up your wallet and pour money into a burning pit. A good solid axle set up isn’t cheap. A good ifs set up definitely isn’t cheap

Diyoffroad makes a lot of weld it yourself kits but even after you have a bulkhead set up, you have to buy a ifs diff, custom shafts, uprights, hubs, shock packages brakes, you get the gist
 
Sure, and while you're in there swap in a 1.9 TDI for better milage.

The 80 series has a great suspension as is; try a mile in a 55 series and you'll appreciate that.
Who are you and what have you done with the real Pighead!?!?

He would never denigrate his noble steed! He KNOWS that his pig wallows exactly the way is is supposed to! :pig:
Okay, silliness (and my old First Knight schtick) set aside for a moment (only a moment I expect)... I never really felt much lacking in the on road ride of any of my pigs. I made a few long ass road trips in them too. Including a run from Anchorage to the southern reaches of Oregon and back with my family of five. AC would have been really nice going through Fraser Canyon in the summertime.
With the OEM steering they sure made the FJ40s feel like ballerina gymnasts though! :oops:

Now that I am piloting my '80s more than any of the other Cruisers... yeah, they absolutely ride better than the pigs. They ride awful dang nice and get me to places that embarrass a lot of (non--Cruiser) "dedicated Trail Rigs". And they can comfortably cover thousands of miles of marginal to s***ty roads to get me to the trails that have caught my eye too. :)


Mark...
 
Last edited:
OP, nice 43 you have tucked to the side.

You’re 80 looks way more built than mine! I DD mine and for the last few years. I had a ‘14 4Runner before getting my hands on my 80 ( it was in the fam from new) and spending a year or so working through a baseline. Long story short, I gave the 4Runner to my youngest daughter after I had the 80 on the road and personally haven’t regretted my decision. Personal preference. I have a hundy at a second cabin out west and enjoy it when get there. Like others suggest, just get a hundy if you’re missing the IFS feel. Good luck.
 
Back
Top Bottom