How hot to check trans fluid? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I'm having some problems with my fj62 transmission lately. It revs up high at shift points, and sometimes takes a while to shift into the appropriate gear. I've heard people say that the dipstick in this trans should be hot enough to almost burn you when you check it, but mine never gets that hot it seems. Even after an hour of driving. It is cold here in Canada though. Any thoughts on what level this fluid should read if the dipstick is just a little warm?

Ok I'll take a shot at this. Get your transmission warm. If you drove it for an hour I suspect it's as warm as its going to get. Get the engine to normal operating temps and shift through the gears a few times. In order to avoid over filling you need to get it to operating temps. Low oil causes the trans to not shift or sluggish shifting. I have seen this on fresh rebuilt trans where the oil hasn't worked down into the trans or the level is too low. For a vehicle that has been on the road unless you have a leaking pan and are losing oil, the most likely cause of sluggish shifts would be worn clutches. If it slips out of gear thats definately a sign of worn out clutches. If the oil smells burned that is a sign of burned up clutches. Is the transmission fluid red or a burned brownish red?

My '89 FJ62 has the same sporadic transmission problems as Mud Taxi. Fluid is bright red and full at hot. Sometimes on first start there is a long delay between shifting to drive and the transmission responding. Most of the shifts are firm with no slip but then a high rev into 2nd or 3rd will occur. Any ideas? Thanks.

View attachment 1944278

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom