Builds Hokie's 2003 LX470 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can you share a link for the valve cover kit please? Also would love some pics when you do that job. Good job with your rig and I enjoy following your progress.

Got the VCG's done this weekend. It was straightforward with no issues. Going to roadtest tonight on the way to dinner but no leaks after idling in the driveway for a while. Replaced valve cover gaskets, all screw crush washer gaskets, and spark plug tube seals. Unfortunately the PCV I ordered was for the earlier trucks and was a slip in vs. a screw in so I ordered another which should be here tomorrow to replace mine. Current one isn't gunked up and still functions just fine but going to replace it for peace of mind.

I was planning to measure valve clearance while I was in there but completely forgot to. Oh well...

Insides were nice and clean at 201k miles!
33337447128_20ec051c94_b.jpg

33337447138_49ce3b037e_b.jpg

Awesome thread! Love the color on your LX, is that blue green sticker on your rear driver side window a SnowBird sticker?

Thank you!

Yes it is a Snowbird sticker! I try to get out to SLC every year for a week of skiing. Missed this year though unfortunately :(

My girl got some new stopping power yesterday.

New PowerStop rotors/pads on all 4 corners. Also repacked front bearings and cleaned/lubed caliper slide pins. Did the bedding process last night. Seems to stop pretty good with some tire chirping as the ABS kicks in. Pedal feel isn’t great though so may look into some stainless lines and refill the system with new fluid.

For those interested in my review of these PowerStop rotors and pads. AVOID THEM. Fronts warped within 6 months of normal driving and 2 towing trips and have gotten progressively worse since. To clarify, I have never had a set of rotors warp on any of the ~10 vehicles I've owned in my ~11 years driving.

I went ahead and did what I should have done originally and ordered new OEM Toyota rotors and pads from the local dealer yesterday to go ahead and replace all 4 corners. I asked if they could price match McGeorge Toyota and they ended up being able to beat it! Picking up the parts tomorrow to get them installed.

Buy once, buy quality parts. Usually this is my motto but decided to try non-OEM cheap parts and it bit me. Lesson learned...again.

Anyone have any input on replacing front wheel bearings? Is there a replacement interval? I've seen mixed reviews where some say they are lifetime bearings and others who replace them more regularly. Truck is right around 200k miles.

Last edited:
Not sure if you got this covered already but was browsing your posts and recognized the clip. It should attach to the side of the glove box to support it when open. Generally that clip
Is removed with the cabin filters are being changed.

Got the VCG's done this weekend. It was straightforward with no issues. Going to roadtest tonight on the way to dinner but no leaks after idling in the driveway for a while. Replaced valve cover gaskets, all screw crush washer gaskets, and spark plug tube seals. Unfortunately the PCV I ordered was for the earlier trucks and was a slip in vs. a screw in so I ordered another which should be here tomorrow to replace mine. Current one isn't gunked up and still functions just fine but going to replace it for peace of mind.

I was planning to measure valve clearance while I was in there but completely forgot to. Oh well...

Insides were nice and clean at 201k miles!
33337447128_20ec051c94_b.jpg

33337447138_49ce3b037e_b.jpg
Just saw this now! So cool. Thanks for posting.

Little update as of late. Noticed a gear oil smell when I got out of the truck after a trip. Realized the driver rear axle seals failed, both inner and outer. Decided to buck up and have the entire rear end (both sides) refreshed at 208,500 miles.

- New outer rear axle seals
- New Inner rear axle seals
- New rear wheel bearings
- New retainers and o-rings
- New breather plug

Had this job done at the local Toyota dealer as I didn't have the time or want to buy the SSTs to replace the outer seals and bearings. It was quite the pricey job but I'm happy to have it done and ready to go for a while longer.

I have a new set of front wheel bearings and snap rings courtesy of Cruiser Outfitters sitting in a box on my work bench that will go in next when I put the new factory brakes and pads on.

Last edited:
Little update.

Had to take the truck back to the dealer to have them put a new rear axle seal in as the tech pinched the bottom of it installing it which caused it to keep leaking. Luckily I was traveling for work and the truck wasn't driven with the leaky axle. Dealer was great and got it fixed quickly by a different tech.

Move on to today.

1. Truck got new Timken front bearings, seals and all associated hardware courtesy of @cruiseroutfit . Inspected the hub flange and axle teeth and all looks good to me. No odd or uneven wear that I saw.
IMG_7362.JPG

2. Installed a new set of OEM Toyota brakes F&R to replace the CRAPPY Powerstop setup. Should have gone OEM to begin with...
IMG_8865.JPG

3. Polished my headlights and installed a set of Lamin-X films on all front lights.
IMG_1390.JPG

Last edited:
Added my first piece of armor. Bought some WKOR sliders during their black friday sale and they showed up this week. Went with DOM tubing, rear diamond plate and 10* angle so that my shorter fiance can use them as a step.

2MIrQyHvQQqlDrb05uEGUA.jpg

cVg1tCh5TLm+Lcfy+NnorA.jpg

KSpNyKHaTpCO80cLucDvhA.jpg
ZovovCVuQMaumEYyrmRqqg.jpg

Looks sharp!

Got some maintenance done today!

Flushed and replaced the PS and brake fluids.

I have a whine during acceleration that's been going on for a week or so. It's RPM dependent and doesn't whine in neutral or park. Thinking it's time to replace the serpentine/tensioner/idler as I haven't replaced them during my ownership.

Also replaced the center console lock which has been broken since before I bought the vehicle. Such an easy fix and no more flopping center console lid!

IMG_2211.JPG

IMG_2213.JPG

Been a few months so update time! Just rolled 220k miles this morning!

- Did a fresh paint detail on the old girl. Decontamination (chemical and clay),2-stage paint correction, and ceramic coating. I really enjoyed the GTechniq CSL+EXO ceramic coating combo last time so I opted for it again. It's been 3.5 years since the last coating which is pretty good durability. Coating still had some life left but early stages of quarantine had me looking for things to do! Paint needed the decontamination BAD after sitting outside pretty virtually every day since I bought it. A couple rounds of claybar and a spraydown with Ironx and paint is as smooth as a baby's butt once more! Not a dramatic difference since it was already coated and still washed up to damn near perfect (for a 17 year old truck) but corrected some light scratching and removing the contamination embedded into the paint improved depth and clarity.
Pic is after 2 months or so. First wash.
iwX%JEDpTOy%btY394IagQ.jpg

Next Covid project was to build a platform in the rear. I started doing a lot of motorcycle track days and needed a place to sleep. Knocked it out in a day. It has hinged sides and no drawers at this time as I stuff a lot of stuff in there like sleeping bags, etc. Maybe I'll put drawers in one day...

I've slept on it 3-4 times now and it works great!
3B%LEKTeSC6RuHE5DF5k8Q.jpg

ox33d3AATqes1kYYiOdlFQ.jpg

Along with the motorcycle track days and autocross events came a lot more towing of motorcycle and car trailers. The old girl's AHC is fully functional but dropped into low once during my last car towing experience so I opted for some Airlfit 1000 bags which have been phenomenal and have fully restored my towing confidence.
2YWbtjHHRQ+f+E62O2lO3g.jpg

Lastly we did an oil change today since I hit 220k and it's also my 5k oil change interval. New air filter as well.

Last edited:
Been a busy few months. Had a flat tire. The puncture was right on the shoulder too so no repair possible.
y7bhrnOaRLOHl8O74eNixQ.jpg

They made it about 60k miles on the nose before this happened. Decided to go ahead and just get a new set. Ended up with some Cooper AT3 XLT's to try out and got a screaming deal on them locally. Also took the opportunity to add some Tundra wheels which I told myself I'd do when I got new tires.
IMG_4339.jpg

Then got some spacers from Bora. Ended up with 1.25" front and rear to fit the center caps front and rear.

Before:
IMG_4803.jpg

After:
IMG_4810.jpg

IMG_4812.jpg

Well my main key fob shell cracked so the obvious choice was to pick up a couple of new key fobs from @suprarx7nut

Went with one in FDE and the other in classic black. Trying out the FDE first and so far I dig it!

IMG_5946.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom