HJ61 12HT Build Up - The Grub (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spudman

Addicted to 60's
Threads
HJ61 12HT Build Up - The Grub - Aussie Build

Hi everyone

I am currently in the progress of doing a build up on my stock standard HJ61 with factory 12HT Turbo, the build up is currently running on 4wdaction.com.au under the heading 60 Restoration, my username there is 12H-T cruiser.

I've been a member here at mud for 12 months, but never actually came here often, I can't understand why, as the wealth of information here is incredible, I've even paid the fees to assist mud further.

Anyway here's my truck, appropriately named 'The Grub'
image_zps54a59cd6.jpg
[/URL]

I purchased it about a month ago, the inside is immaculate and original, the outside has rust in the wheel arches, roof and around the windows, nothing major, but some cutting required.

I am currently in Bali ATM and when I get back next week I'll transfer all the work done so far to this forum.

I'll be looking for advice along the way so please don't be afraid to pop up and put yours comments forward.

So with all the knowledge on this forum, access to spares etc. I hope you enjoy this build as much as I will :bounce::bounce2::steer::flipoff2:

Thanks

Ivan

Last edited:
Ok, first thing to come off was all the alloy gear and the flared guards
image_zpsf4108bcc.jpg
[/URL]

And this is what I found under the flares
image_zps6675ee28.jpg
[/URL]
image_zpsefaf2bc3.jpg
[/URL]

The interior is near perfect with the only tear being in the drivers seat
image_zps1c6bfc88.jpg
[/URL]
image_zpsa006390d.jpg
[/URL]

Will post up more pics and progress soon

My first rust removal was the front fender
image_zps02dd4712.jpg
[/URL]

This is one of my donor vehicles, I'm lucky to plenty of donors vehicles out here
image_zpsb7cf0d20.jpg
[/URL]

First job was to cut out the rust
image_zps0e2d381e.jpg
[/URL]

Then I cut the exact same piece from the donor vehicle and welded it to mine, (my welding is fairly crap, the mig I'm using keeps spluttering, so sorry but no pictures)
image_zps1368f39c.jpg
[/URL]
image_zpse2198486.jpg
[/URL]
image_zpsaa65c05c.jpg
[/URL]

Apologies about some of the photos upside down :doh:

I then sprayed it with rust-oleum red, I was amazed how close the colour match turned out
image_zps04d37e2f.jpg
[/URL]

I still need to rub it back one more time and then spray it with the correct colour, I purchased 6 spray cans of the factory colour once I've completed cutting out all the rust

Last edited:
I purchased the snorkel, it's just a generic brand, so I thought might as well fit that as they are very easy, done a few

First thing put the template on, stick it down with masking tape
96ec9f25-aefb-4ea3-a2c1-9d9fdb03a776_zpsfe5524e9.jpg
[/URL

Drilled the holes
e9b4512d-a553-4e27-9731-5c963297ea60_zps59f48fbd.jpg
[/URL]

I just used the lid off a coffee tin, perfect size
image_zpsbb7d5ba0.jpg
[/URL]

I then drilled out the big hole using a very small drill bit, I didn't have a hole saw, plus this works really well
b29b505c-4032-48e7-86d0-0496c9dfa0c2_zps8e3ba522.jpg
[/URL]

I then filed around the rough edge until smooth and then applied paint to the bare metal areas
5a3fdb0b-04f7-424b-af37-0fa79cbdee17_zps291109ac.jpg
[/URL]

Fitted it in the hole and Walla perfect fit
579ae1b8-0300-4708-9ab9-e822c58fe088_zps12b01141.jpg
[/URL]

Drilled the holes and attached it to the a pillar and used pop rivets
32ce7989-262e-433e-874b-680f517b82f4_zps3528ad05.jpg
[/URL]

Connected up the hose inside the guard, put the head on, tightened every thing and finished in 2 hours
eda288de-b9e4-4af9-900d-2cff686f3a9c_zps9d7dd88a.jpg
[/URL]
I then stuck a plastic bag over the head and tested it for leaks, all good and very happy :cheers:

I thought I'd chuck up a pic of the engine
image_zpsba47b1c6.jpg
[/URL]

These are the new stickers I've had made up for the sides once I've decided on whether or not to do a full respray or just touch up the rusted areas

image_zpsa68215f2.jpg
[/URL]

I got the stickers made up from a bloke on LCOOL his username is austimages cost me $17, I have managed to pick up an intercooler from a GU patrol, so I'll be fitting that when I get back.

Hey can someone please tell me what the difference is with a BJ60, I know the FJ60 is petrol and the HJ60 is diesel, but what's with the BJ60, I don't think we have that model in Australia

Thanks

Ivan

BJ60

No, we didn't get the BJ60 over here. The BJ60 is a 60 series with a 3B 4 cylinder diesel fitted. We got this engine in the BJ42 and the first of the SWB 70 series cruisers.

Thanks mate, that clears that up.

A couple of weeks back I thought I'd press the 4wd button on the dash, see if it works, which was all good, then switched it off and nothing light remained on, checked the vehicle and still in 4wd, turned out it was one of these buggers playing up
image_zps622e9437.jpg
[/URL]

So I just swapped the vacuum hoses over and all good now, just gotta grab another and swap it over.

So over the next couple of weeks I will be cutting and replacing rust in the wheel arches, around the windows and roof, I also plan to remove the interior carpets and door trims and lay down some noise deadener, also good excuse for a through clean, build some drawers for the back, replace the hub seals, disc brakes, exhaust, put 16 inch wheels on etc. etc. etc. :flipoff2:

Looks good! I sure wish we had those rear sliders here. Interested to see your intercooler install. Are you mounting it on top of the engine or out front? I might get you to send me a sticker, I like!! :popcorn:

:cheers:

Hey mate, it's going to be a top mount intercooler, it's coming off my mates GU as he is upgrading his.

I'm actually thinking of putting solid windows in the back, they are good but that's where the little buggers keep trying to break in.

With the stickers you can either type in this number into eBay.com.au 251366413643 and then send him message just say the same ones Spudman from Lcool ordered, or I am happy to assist with purchasing and postage

You should just box up those flares and sliding windows and ship them to me :)

I have the same snorkel on my HJ60, it is a quality piece for what you pay.

Wow, how weird is that, the sliding windows and flares are everywhere here, I'll probably have trouble getting a solid set of windows.

I should drive around here and grab all the sliding windows and then do a bulk shipment to you guys :D

Got back into Darwin today and can't wait till Friday to get back home and do some more work on my car.

Today I ordered some sound deadener about 10 sq metres which should be enough to do the floor and the doors, I was planning on ripping out the interior to check the floor etc. so might as well do it while I have everything out.

So back from holidays and back into my project, today I thought I'd continue on removing the decals, it's a slow and agonising task but I'm beginning to see results ;p

This is how it was when I purchased the car, all tatty and peeling in spots
image_zpsd0c61a37.jpg
[/URL]

The tools I am currently using are

High pressure hose to remove the vinyl
Heat gun to heat up the stubborn parts (there are plenty)
Caramel wheel to remove excessive glue
3M adhesive remover to remove the fine glue that's left
Cutting polish

Ok, here's some pics of the work so far
d439fafb-ef62-415e-8443-71838ff13aa0_zps30810f4e.jpg
[/URL]
1ef1e204-2dc0-48b9-bc14-4cce13843ef7_zpsa0aafa59.jpg
[/URL]
715f0cf5-1e7d-42fb-b90e-daeb494c5cbc_zps841efa19.jpg
[/URL]

And these are pics after using the caramel wheel
9c0df6ad-bd4b-44ac-864c-e2ca8c7b5740_zpsed2274de.jpg
[/URL]
4d57a7f6-66fb-420c-b4bc-f9f80f88b368_zps2f038b8e.jpg
[/URL]
So it's taking a while but can definitely see the end result in sight :grinpimp:

Bloody iphone, sorry about pics being upside down

Last edited:
Hi guys

Looking for some assistance with removing these decals.

Today I used the caramel wheel and removed all the vinyl on the drivers side, what is left now is little spots of glue, I've tried the caramel wheel on them and doesn't seem to do anything.

I've also tried 3M adhesive remover and isn't removing them either, I've also tried petrol and still not having much success.

Any ideas

Thanks

Ivan

So far I have using a cordless drill, so I tried a normal drill, seems to be taking it off faster but is also wearing down the caramel wheel faster, I still can't seem to get all the glue off though.

you need a cleaning product called phosclean.

we use it on our work vehicles (mines) and it strips fuuking anything and providing you wash it off before too long its not to hard on the paint.

best of luck mate. :beer:

Thanks Matt

Will give the local hardware a try during the week, otherwise might have to go to Kununurra

Today I totally used up both caramel wheels, so I'll have to wait a couple of days for 2 more to turn up, just gotta use perseverance.

So I though I'd take out the right side rear window, I have the sliding windows and I could see some rust around the window.

Since starting this thread a few people here have mentioned the fact that they would love to have the sliding windows as they are very rare in America.

We'll be prepared cause I'm now going to show you why you shouldn't get sliding windows:bang:

This is what I found when I removed the window
3b7cf6c9-a38f-460c-b0a7-88647961d8d6_zpsc9dedd60.jpg
[/URL]
68226c3d-83db-45b4-8435-44e8b3777eb2_zpsb11be0ea.jpg
[/URL]
11d6fbc1-a7e5-4486-b2ca-ad6d9857c7c4_zpsd6052044.jpg
[/URL]
1a60068f-a284-421d-afec-e22d83adcec7_zps4cba1415.jpg
[/URL]

So it shouldn't be too hard to fix, I'll be picking up another 60 on Thursday that I'm gonna use to repair the wheel arches so I'll just be doing some extra cutting for around the window frame. The left window appears ok, so at this stage I won't be removing it.

So do you still want sliding windows, as I reckon this wouldn't have happened with fixed glass:whoops:

Looking Good Spudman!
I am down in SA, great to see some Aussies on here!

I am looking forward to where your build is going!

I agree on the sliding windows, I actually wouldn't mind taking my sliding windows out and replacing with fixed glass.

Do you have any tips on removing the windows?
Cheers mate!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom