HJ60 2h coolant reservoir overfull (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently bought a 1985 HJ60 running the 2h engine and the coolant reservoir tank is consistently overfull and does not drain back into the radiator.

My engine temps haven't run high and there are no visible leaks, although I have only taken the truck on relatively short trips (5-15 mins). The coolant itself is not discolored or murky.

Has anyone else had this problem? How can I diagnose it?

I don't solely rely on the ome temp gauge, I like the ozzy engine guard watch dog temp gauge very much. Especially towing uphill.

You may have a blockage so could try reverse flushing and replacing radiator cap (cheap) with new fluid. Even citric acid flush.

I nearly always run with the heater on too, so the fluid in the little in cab radiator is kept in the loop with fresh coolant.

Your overflow should only be about half full, so if things expand there is room for the fluid to go to and then return to the system once cooled down.

You can also get cheap radiator pressure testers to test how much pressure your system holds. And a dye test to check if carbon monoxide is getting in the coolant, ebay one works fine.

I would start with a reverse flush though. Then engine guard. Assuming there is no sweet smell coming from exhaust.

Have you run the engine with the radiator cap off - you're looking for gas/smoke or bubbles coming out out of the radiator.

Last edited:
I don't solely rely on the ome temp gauge, I like the ozzy engine guard watch dog temp gauge very much. Especially towing uphill.

You may have a blockage so could try reverse flushing and replacing radiator cap (cheap) with new fluid. Even citric acid flush.

I nearly always run with the heater on too, so the fluid in the little in cab radiator is kept in the loop with fresh coolant.

Your overflow should only be about half full, so if things expand there is room for the fluid to go to and then return to the system once cooled down.

You can also get cheap radiator pressure testers to test how much pressure your system holds. And a dye test to check if carbon monoxide is getting in the coolant, ebay one works fine.

I would start with a reverse flush though. Then engine guard. Assuming there is no sweet smell coming from exhaust.
Thanks, there is a bit of rust around the radiator cap so I'll replace that and do a flush. Hopefully nothing more serious

don't like the sound of a lot of rust. It is a sign your coolant has not been kept in check. Fresh coolant has anti corrosive properties. If not kept fresh or just water is used the internals of your oil cooler, water pump, hard lines etc. corrodes which not only can create blockage in the fine capillaries of your radiator but eventually renders components useless.

I have been pulling a few 2h's and it pains me when I see another oil cooler so badly pitted it is rendered unusable. If only the coolant was kept in check, the components would be still good 30+ years on..

Landcruisers are tough but still need to be maintained. Especially when media bangs on about the environment, none mentions original manufacture pollution. Sermon.

Reverse citric flush, look it up.

don't like the sound of a lot of rust. It is a sign your coolant has not been kept in check. Fresh coolant has anti corrosive properties. If not kept fresh or just water is used the internals of your oil cooler, water pump, hard lines etc. corrodes which not only can create blockage in the fine capillaries of your radiator but eventually renders components useless.

I have been pulling a few 2h's and it pains me when I see another oil cooler so badly pitted it is rendered unusable. If only the coolant was kept in check, the components would be still good 30+ years on..

Landcruisers are tough but still need to be maintained. Especially when media bangs on about the environment, none mentions original manufacture pollution. Sermon.

Reverse citric flush, look it up.
Yeah it's a shame - I think the truck had been sitting on the previous owners driveway for 1-3 years and has barely driven. Thanks for your help, I'll look into it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom